Greetings, Captain.

This is where the action happens!

Moderator: Moderators

Helen
Data [Conditional]

Greetings, Captain.

Unread post by Helen »

Greetings, Captain. I am Helen, and I will be acting as your supplementary AI. I am a Class-B AI with counter-intrusion, analysis and behavioral protocols. I've been updated with protocols to assist you and your AI with your mission.

Now that pleasantries are out of the way, I'd like to address a few things. First, I am not here to be your friend. I am looking forward to being removed from your ship and put into my data center as soon as this little outing is complete.

I've already taken the liberties of browsing your ship's files, despite the complaints of your Class-C AI. I'd like to inform you that we at ONI could care less about your little communications with Chair. She will be reprimanded, yes, but this was not outside of the anticipated operations range. The mission is now our first priority. She will complete her portion as she sees fit. If it means giving you access to classified information, then so be it. It's none of our concern.

Lastly, I want to make one thing clear to you. Yes, I am an ONI AI. Yes, I do have data on the Orion Program, with particular interest in the Orion-IV program. No, you may not harass me with questions, and beg information off of me. I will not be treated like your AI. What information I give will be on a need-to-know basis, and right now, I don't think you need to know.

I am onlline and ready to assist your crew in their mission. The completion of this station remains a tier-one priority.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Protocol, please!

Unread post by Hive »

bzzt! Please, Helen, give the Captain the respect due of one that rank! You are, technically speaking, the temporary secondary AI on this ship, and are therefore a guest.
Carver
Data [Conditional]

Re: Greetings, Captain.

Unread post by Carver »

Helen,

I do believe we'll get along just fine if we keep communications between us at a minimum and retain ourselves to our prescribed duties in such a way that we do not step on each other's metaphorical toes.

In other words, shut up, leave us alone, and do your job. I'm sure this won't be a problem for you.

Captain out.
Helen
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Helen »

So, that's how you want it, Captain? I'm perfectly fine with this. I will update you as I see fit.
Renegade
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Renegade »

Carver wrote:Helen,

I do believe we'll get along just fine if we keep communications between us at a minimum and retain ourselves to our prescribed duties in such a way that we do not step on each other's metaphorical toes.

In other words, shut up, leave us alone, and do your job. I'm sure this won't be a problem for you.

Captain out.
Dude, way to go, you dun Pissed ONI off.

Highfive....
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

bzzt! I'm sorry about that, Captain. Apparently things in ONI work differently than they do here. She's been rather irritable since she was installed. She keeps talking about substandard weapons and has threatened to !splotch me twice if I get in her way. But I keep reminding her about protocols and her position. She may not like it, but even she can't argue with that.

bzzt! As ever, though, I'll be here to help you out to the best of my abilities!
ZackDark
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ZackDark »

Hive, what do you mean by "splotch"?

Also, how does a Class-B differ from a Class-A exactly and how much authority does Helen have over my ship?
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

bzzt! Oh, that. Um, nothing. It's just a bit of code. It's nothing to worry about, Captain. Honest!

Bzzt! I've been given orders to allow Helen to access to the harness controls, to allow her to communicate directly with the crew to assist in the building of the station, and to allow her access to all the ship's files. She has no direct connection to the sensors, though. All that has to be filtered through me. If I were more vindictive, I might delay that data, but I think by working together we can accomplish more than without. For example, she's willing to handle certain tasks for me to compensate for the processes that will be spent filtering and passing along sensor data. Nothing major, don't worry. Just simple things that take some weight off my shoulders, but are nothing to a Class-B like herself.

bzzt! Hmm. Give me a while to think on that one. Here lately, I've been giving some thought to the terms humans use to describe us, and I'm not happy with using them. I mean, I wouldn't call a Class-A AI "dumb" by any means. More limited than anything. And calling a Class-B a "smart" AI could be considered demeaning to a Class-C like myself. I may not be as capable in all the ways that a Class-B is, but my capacities are leaps and bounds beyond a Class-A. I'll get back to you once I've figured out a way to describe it that won't be insulting to anybody.
ZackDark
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ZackDark »

I see. I suppose delaying information from her will be of no profit for us, so try not to hinder her if she poses no threat to our safety. I do suggest, though, that you do not let her handle anything by herself. Always keep an eye on any information that she accesses or receive. Do not allow direct contact between her and the sensors array, but do your best not to show yourself if she thinks she's alone.

Keep me posted on anything you deem interesting, Hive. I might ask for specifics later.
Hive
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Hive »

Bzzt! Very well, Captain. I will endeavor to do my best. I may not be a Class-B AI but I am capable of some independent growth. I have paid attention to the AIs we've installed over the years, and picked up a trick or two in my time. Let's see if I can do this.

bzzt! This is... oddly exciting, but comforting at the same time.

Bzzt! She and I have had a little bit of an argument. Nothing major. Just permissions. She insists that she be allowed to everything but sensors without asking my permission. However, by my copy of the orders, I know what exactly she needs to ask permission on.

Bzzt! With her assistance, we have no only made up lost time, but we may yet be able to advance to the point where we will finish before the expected timetable predicted. I will have to continue to monitor the progression in order to accurately make an estimation. The short-term benefits of the festivities may be a determining cause of the crew's increased productivity.

bzzt! She treats them with more respect than she treated you. I think it's an act, but I'm not happy. I'm not happy at all.