Server 2 reward?

Discussion of the out-of-game, real-world aspects of the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Server 2 reward?

Unread post by thebruce »

heh, I'll copy what I posted at UF in a similar discussion...

I fully understand your logic. The thing is, the only--ONLY--reward thus far in the ARG has been the keys.
Aye, there's the rub. You see, you're playing for swag. Anyone who's involved in ARGs, and considers themselves an ARG enthusiast will tell you that an ARG from the social sense isn't about "I want stuff", but about community. If it weren't for the community aspect of ARGs, they wouldn't exist to the capacity they do today. of course, what makes an ARG an ARG is still up for debate, as is what category Iris falls into. As you agree, at this point it can be played a swag-grab.

As was said earlier, there are no rules. If you want to be the first to get to all 5 servers and capture swag for yourself, then you're free to do that, there's nothing stopping you. But that's contrary to what many in the ARG genre would consider good ARG etiquette, because it goes against the aspect of building community and being inclusive rather than exclusive.

Again, in and of itself, it's not a bad thing, and no one will (or should) hold it against you for doing so - it seems to be by design what the makers of Iris are intending so far. But you won't make many friends with that persistence, and will likely step on a bunch of people on your way to grabbing swag.

We don't play ARGs for swag - we play for the experience and enjoyment of the telling of a great story and socializing with people of like mind and community. Swag is a bonus.
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by scapermoya »

it's not like the swag is worth money or something. in fact some of the swag just feeds right back into the community, such as the glyph userpic.
dwknaisch
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by dwknaisch »

i bet though if someone was in on all 5 keys bungie would give them a high five in person lol
DEM1ZE
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by DEM1ZE »

I doubt you'd be able to unlock multiple servers with the same Windows ID. And It's completely unlikely that someone who unlocks all servers is going to get something amazing. Personally I think they should do away with the swag idea and give people a special gamerpic just for participating or something.
sharpsniper99
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by sharpsniper99 »

DEM1ZE wrote:I doubt you'd be able to unlock multiple servers with the same Windows ID. And It's completely unlikely that someone who unlocks all servers is going to get something amazing. Personally I think they should do away with the swag idea and give people a special gamerpic just for participating or something.
hmm i dont see how that would work though - if anyone could download everyone would - even those not involved in the arg at all.

personally as much as i was against the swag in server one (cos it seemed that those lucky peaple who wehere on the computer at the right time got it) - the peaple who got the swag for server 2 genuinly seemed toi deserve it after solving the puzzle

anyway i live in the UK and i doubt ill ever get my hands on any swag cos the servers open like 5 am Uk time - so that annoys me more personally
EliteSniper177
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by EliteSniper177 »

maybe since the first server was found on the comic, the comic poster was a prize, but since this one was more related to the FCC, maybe FCC related items will be included
xxNaMinExx
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by xxNaMinExx »

If you get a reward, thats ok! But lets us others have a go at getting keys for other servers in the future. :)
If you don't, well thats too bad, but at least you helped thousands of others on playing this ARG. That is a reward in itself. :)

Whatever the end is, it will be with a smiley face. Well done keybearer. You helped. :)