Calling IRIS an ARG wrong?

Discussion of the out-of-game, real-world aspects of the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Calling IRIS an ARG wrong?

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Oh, sure, I agree--compared to how we needed to open the first two, Server 3 felt like an afterthought. And there's very little in the server! An equation I'll be very interested to see solved/explained, but nothing else to chew on in the mean time. It doesn't feel like a game any more. Fortunately, I love speculating about Halo's story anyway, so I'll be sticking around. If "Lost" were airing right now, though, that'd probably be getting my full attention!
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

I agree with all of this too... The process for opening server one and two was fun and it felt like they had something to really offer, I honestly felt like I was finding something neat, like I was really working with everyone to open the servers and work out the story. Opening server three was just so bare... There wasn't anything to it. Hiding the unlocking page under the concept art section also managed to just kill the entire mood of the game for me...

From a marketing/business stand point, it's hard to say if what they're doing is good advertising now... Yes, at first, giving away the free stuff pulled people in and made them interested... That was good marketing... But now it appears that people are getting more pissed off rather then doing what they are supposed to do in a game -- Have fun! For Bungie to really redeem themselves at this point they'll have to really do something spectacular for the last two servers. Perhaps it would have been better for Bungie to wait until server five was open and the whole ARG was done with to give out the free stuff, that way the gifts go to the people who actually worked to do this, not the people who sit there watching forums without saying a word (or, now, watching the Iris fankit monitor) waiting for the keys to go active.

Just my two cents here (plus a chance for me to vent, too. feel much better now =) )
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Good points, one and all.

Sadly we have nothing to work with but what they offer us, so it's a take-it-or-leave-it situation.

We can, however, look forward to the fun Halo 3 swag that will be selling soon at 7-Eleven and the retail product push that late August and early September will bring... :)
Anzio_katarin
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Anzio_katarin »

Welp..this pretty much seals it (for me anyway).

Got the "looky here" from the front page of HBO

Excerpt from leaked"captured" MS e-mail...

Project Iris

· We have created an engaging viral campaign to bring the Halo community closer to Halo 3.

· Recent activities drove traffic to our retailer partners including a Halo 3 visual hint in circular ads, street teams in major US cities, new hints at thousands of kiosks at US retailers. Great cross-group coordination to get retail involved with this community driven effort.

http://www.xboxfamily.com/news%20storie ... 60_pg2.htm

There ya go. Not an ARG, just a marketing campaign for the Halo community.
Thanks for all your support, Now "Go buy teh H4l0ez"
Like we wouldn't anyway :roll: :lol:
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

o noez!!!!!!!!

yea, i'd buy h3, heck i'd pre order ever single thing i could TWICE! (1 for moi, 1 for ebay XD) but i dont ahve a 360 so its not worth it, so this marketing campign wont wrok on me!!

so what do we call this? a marketting campiagn or web drama?
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

I've essentially stopped calling it an ARG (though it still slips out), and just call it "Iris."
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

ditto, I'm using 'viral (or) marketing campaign' as much as possible. But I'm too lazy to fix all the ARG references in the wiki :P shoot me, I'm perpetuating a crisis =)