Important Thought; 'When' are we?

Discussion of the out-of-game, real-world aspects of the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Ryoseth
Data [Conditional]

Important Thought; 'When' are we?

Unread post by Ryoseth »

quick question...one that may change how we figure things out:
do you think the events of this ARG are taking place 100,000 years ago...during the first firing of the halo systems?
or
do you think the events of this ARG are taking place in the present? [when i say present, i meen RIGHT after the events of Halo2...how suddenly a beacon is being sent to all the Halo construct, as well as the Ark.]

personally i think that AR was responding to the special beacon signal that it was recieving from the Halo constructs after the misfire of the Delta Halo. because AR was on Earth/The Ark
you could also say that these events are tkaing place 100k years ago in the past during the first firing because AR could STILL have been on Earth/The Ark in order to activate it, lets say to save the human/forunner race from the Halo blast.
[im not saying the humans are forunners, or that the Ark protects them...heck, it might destroy them...we/idont know...that's why it can go either way.]

Either way...i think this would be important to be considering when taking in future clues and facts...
this would effect how we percieve certain things...
like; what Iris is.

Edit:
important, because...anyone remember i love bees? how the AI construct had been sent from the future, and landed on the server that WAS ilovebees.com and the story that was taking place was that of the audio files? that threw me for a loop.
same thing could happen here
Last edited by Ryoseth on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Re: When does this take place?

Unread post by theteal1 »

I think it's taking place in the present.

Not your definition, though. The present as in now.
SKR
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Important Thought; 'When' are we?

Unread post by SKR »

Yes, that's what most people believe. That it is taking place right now, in 2007.
Ryoseth
Data [Conditional]

Re: When does this take place?

Unread post by Ryoseth »

theteal1 wrote:I think it's taking place in the present.

Not your definition, though. The present as in now.
I value your opinion on the matter...but let's try and support our opinions.
why do you believe this?
If this is what you believe...what is/was attacking AR?
Why owuld it be attacking AR in the year 2007? compared to 11k years ago or 500 years from now [halo present]
because both of those times are pivotal because thats when the Halo contructs are being fired.
i dont mean to flame ;p
mnemesis
Custodian [Obsolete]

Unread post by mnemesis »

It's most likely taking place now, in 2007, because all of the in-game materials reference now, as opposed to some other (past, near-present, or future) time. Future game events might change that, but for now we seem to be right here.
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Well, the primary evidence is the time AR gave since the 'event.'

He said it ws 871803909 hours. Now, 871803909 hours = ~99,455 years.

Now, 100,000 - 99,455 = 545.

Add 545 to 2007, and you get 2552, the year in which the Halo and Halo 2 events take place.

This suggests that the Halo's fire every 100,000 years, as, supposedly calculated by the Forerunners, that is approximately how long it takes for civilizations to become sentient and space-worthy enough to discover the Flood again.

It's a little rough, but it works out surprisingly well.
Ryoseth
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ryoseth »

theteal1 wrote:Well, the primary evidence is the time AR gave since the 'event.'

He said it ws 871803909 hours. Now, 871803909 hours = ~99,455 years.

Now, 100,000 - 99,455 = 545.

Add 545 to 2007, and you get 2552, the year in which the Halo and Halo 2 events take place.

This suggests that the Halo's fire every 100,000 years, as, supposedly calculated by the Forerunners, that is approximately how long it takes for civilizations to become sentient and space-worthy enough to discover the Flood again.

It's a little rough, but it works out surprisingly well.
ok, that makes sense. if he said 'x' amount of time has expired since the last firing of the Halo's,
and it works out that all those hours end up being this time. then, more power to em ^^;

i suppose thats a consensus i agree with then. but, ill keep all 3 in mind.
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Well, lots of people still think its in 2552, because they keep mentioning that the new figure is 343 GS, and the the "system integrity" is questionable because one of the Halo's was thoroughly destroyed by MC.

Really, there's no way we can tell yet, but it being now seems to fit best.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Related question: Why did AR come to bungie.net?

With ILB, the sites involved had nothing to do with Halo. In this game, though, the AI from the Halo universe arrived at...a site about a game called Halo, featuring...himself. Or itself. And events that will take place in his/its future.

It's a little metatextually confusing.

Basically, what is the in-game reason for AR to come to bungie.net, and are we supposed to believe that kids played Halo in the Halo universe's past?
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Maimbot 9000 wrote:Related question: Why did AR come to bungie.net?

With ILB, the sites involved had nothing to do with Halo. In this game, though, the AI from the Halo universe arrived at...a site about a game called Halo, featuring...himself. Or itself. And events that will take place in his/its future.

It's a little metatextually confusing.

Basically, what is the in-game reason for AR to come to bungie.net, and are we supposed to believe that kids played Halo in the Halo universe's past?
ilovebees was run by 4orty2wo entertainment. Iris is run by Bungie and Microsoft.

I don't think 4orty2wo had access to Bungie.net at the time.