Important Thought; 'When' are we?

Discussion of the out-of-game, real-world aspects of the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Re: Important Thought; 'When' are we?

Unread post by Frogwart »

theteal1 wrote:Well, the primary evidence is the time AR gave since the 'event.'

He said it ws 871803909 hours. Now, 871803909 hours = ~99,455 years.

Now, 100,000 - 99,455 = 545.

Add 545 to 2007, and you get 2552, the year in which the Halo and Halo 2 events take place.

This suggests that the Halo's fire every 100,000 years, as, supposedly calculated by the Forerunners, that is approximately how long it takes for civilizations to become sentient and space-worthy enough to discover the Flood again.

It's a little rough, but it works out surprisingly well.
I don't see how it suggests the Halos fire every 100,000 years...the Halos have only ever fired once, after the last Flood outbreak. One firing does not create a pattern for "every 100,000 years."

They may fire again in Halo game "present time," (maybe in Halo 3?) since there is obviously reason to--the second Flood outbreak that began in Halo 1.

I agree with your figures about the ARG gametime, and about the Forerunner estimation, too.
Coweh
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Coweh »

Just going to add my two cents, but I'm pretty sure Frankie stated this took place in 2007 during that interview he did about Iris.

Then again, is this an alternate 2007? I know that the Halo games are supposedly in today's future, but like others have said, it would be weird for the game to exist within the game. In the Iris-2007, are we just random civilians who have no knowledge of anything pertaining to Halos, Spartans (the new ones, of course), AI's, etc.?
HardwareHeretic404
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by HardwareHeretic404 »

ARG stands for Alternate Reality Game - meaning that the reality in which AdjutantReflex/AdjutantReflex 2.0 lives in is different from the reality in the games, e.g. 2552 Earth. In ARGs such as this, the 3 alternate realities (in this case, AdjutantReflex's, ours, and the Halo game's) are somehow linked, as was the ilovebees campaign. Right now we don't know how AdjutantReflex's reality is linked to Halo's reality, other than being in the same relative universe and AdjutantReflex referring to the firing of the Halos about 100,000 years ago. However this reality is in contact with ours, through the countdown, comic, and posts on bungie.net.

HH404
mnemesis
Custodian [Obsolete]

Unread post by mnemesis »

Moving this to META.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

Our evidence for a current time as opposed to future interaction is AR's statement of the time since the last incident. 99,500 years or so since the event, putting it around our time.
JustShotMarvin
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by JustShotMarvin »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:
theteal1 wrote:ilovebees was run by 4orty2wo entertainment. Iris is run by Bungie and Microsoft.

I don't think 4orty2wo had access to Bungie.net at the time.
Er, yes. I'm asking what the in-game reason is. Obviously the real-world answer is that it's easiest for Bungie to use their own site. But if we pretend that AR is a real entity and that the events of the Halo games are real, then why did AR come to bungie.net?
Okay, okay. Lemme try.

If AR is here to warn/threaten/enlighten us, then he would want to go somewhere with lots of bandwidth and lots of traffic. Where would you choose to go? Say... the message boards for a very popular video game? You're bound to have a lot of people see what you're saying, right? And that was what AR wanted. (We have to ignore the fact that it's a website for the universe that AR belongs in. It was probably a move of convienice on Bungie's part. I doubt another game company or something would want to help Bungie promote their game.)

So I suppose the in game reason is that he saw that the bungie.net forums got a lot of traffic and had a LOT of members (and had the nessecary space for him to operate)... So that was why he picked B.net.
theteal1
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by theteal1 »

JustShotMarvin wrote:
Maimbot 9000 wrote:
theteal1 wrote:ilovebees was run by 4orty2wo entertainment. Iris is run by Bungie and Microsoft.

I don't think 4orty2wo had access to Bungie.net at the time.
Er, yes. I'm asking what the in-game reason is. Obviously the real-world answer is that it's easiest for Bungie to use their own site. But if we pretend that AR is a real entity and that the events of the Halo games are real, then why did AR come to bungie.net?
Okay, okay. Lemme try.

If AR is here to warn/threaten/enlighten us, then he would want to go somewhere with lots of bandwidth and lots of traffic. Where would you choose to go? Say... the message boards for a very popular video game? You're bound to have a lot of people see what you're saying, right? And that was what AR wanted. (We have to ignore the fact that it's a website for the universe that AR belongs in. It was probably a move of convienice on Bungie's part. I doubt another game company or something would want to help Bungie promote their game.)

So I suppose the in game reason is that he saw that the bungie.net forums got a lot of traffic and had a LOT of members (and had the nessecary space for him to operate)... So that was why he picked B.net.
But he's here (or was here) to facilitate us. He said that himself...
AI23
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by AI23 »

The purpose of an ARG, beyond marketing, is to blur the lines between fiction and non-fiction. The present is clearly our present, with all that it entails, including knowledge of the halo games. If we were to completely disavow any knowledge of halo, we'd have to ignore the very forums it started on. Were it gets fuzzy is the past and the future. In game world terms this means the haloverse and the real world are the same. 2552 is our future and the history with the forerunners is our past. At the moment...we're getting a history lesson.
FreakyBunny
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by FreakyBunny »

i believe its happening now, because someone had some interaction with AR. but all the things in the server is what happened 100,000 years ago.
killadro
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by killadro »

this is just a random question, but has google earth been updated or is it still old satellite pics from like 2002