MS explains halo viral campeign

Discussion of the out-of-game, real-world aspects of the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

a lovely pony
Data [Conditional]

Re: MS explains halo viral campeign

Unread post by a lovely pony »

Avateur wrote:
Hoplite wrote:It's one thing for us to know it's them, and a whole other for them to have some sort of release confirming it. It drops the veil of illusion of the game. Did any Bungie employee really acknowledge AR's existence on their forums; in the Weekly Update?
Nope. And that's the point. Microsoft should have kept its mouth shut. Idiots. Yes, we all know it's Microsoft and have known. IP traces, etc etc. But that's part of the game! Omg AR h4x0red M$!1111111 Oh wait, no, it's just Microsoft. Illusion ruined.
aaaarrrggh!! i too thought it was all real!! ILLUSION SHATTERED! THANKS A LOT, MICRO - BLAMS!

[Edit]: Keep language clean. Thx.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Whoa, with the profanity!

Sure, I, too, am more than a wee bit annoyed that the curtain has been pulled back and I can see lil' bald-headed Frankie yanking the controls and yelling in the microphone--especially now, he'll have to be yelling "Ignore the man behind the curtain!", but that's no reason to curse on a forum thread it's unlikely MS will see.

I was enjoying the game--a lot--until now. Now all the intrigue and mystery has been more than dimmed--it's been thrown under a white-hot, glaring spotlight that erases almost every shadow from the field of play. Great, if we're watching a football match. Not so good with an ARG--even when we knew who was really behind it, though not the particulars.

Just wait, if there is one, the next time AR posts over inthe Bungie forums, everyone will be replying to Frankie.
Sad.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

It is sad, and the illusion has been sort of stomped on. But it's still just as mysterious, we have no idea what is actually going on. We all sort of subconciously assumed Frankie was AR and we all knew about he Microsoft IP. Use your imagination ;)
Quantum
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Quantum »

On a side note, this does put Louis Wu's "joke" on Frankie on the HBO forums in a different light: 'twas a cover-up!

The incident I speak of was the most recent Weekly Update, and the Not Adjutant Reflex thing.
a lovely pony
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by a lovely pony »

Frogwart wrote:Whoa, with the profanity!
Just for the record, I was mocking Avateur's stupidly childish reaction.

I didn't think I'd have to actually explain that to anyone :|
Last edited by a lovely pony on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Sorry Pony--sarcasm isn't easy to read in writing every time...

Sir Topham is right, of course. Hell, if we can suspend reality around us while playing Halo, why can't we suspend it for the sake of the game?

I'm reinvesting here. What else was I gonna do until September 24th, anyway (on september 24th, I get in line for a (I hope) midnight release)... :D
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Waiting in line for Halo 3 sounds strangely fun to me.

Suspension of disbelief is sort of required in these kinds of things. If they ever make an ARG where you literally cannot tell fiction from reality....that will be a scary day indeed.
Wolverine Monkey
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Wolverine Monkey »

At first this news kind of annoyed me and took the illusion away.

But then I was thinking, just because I know who wrote a book, the company that published the book, etc. That doesn't make the book any less enjoyable.

OMFG! Stephen King wrote this book :o
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

I really like that comparison. Just cause we know who wrote the story of this ARG doesn't mean we can't be invested in the characters and the story.
Boston_Will
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Boston_Will »

I kinda understand what people are saying about taking the illusion away, even though we all know it was Microsoft all along. I guess in a way we all like it to be true and actually happening in real life. Gah im still here for the story, whats with the mysterious SOTA organisation -------> are they going to blam! everything up for the human race in the future, why did the forerunners build the ARK on earth, why are we the chosen ones(i.e classed as reclaimers) and whats up with AR. This story has only just begun.