Will IRIS end after server 5?

Discussion of the out-of-game, real-world aspects of the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

bumontheroad
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Will IRIS end after server 5?

Unread post by bumontheroad »

yeah, we never really finished up with adjundant reflex's storyline (like what happened to the thing that killed him or whatever happened, i'm still confused), and we really don't have much of a story at all with Iris.

not to mention halo 3 is still about a month and a half away, plenty of time in there
supremely
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by supremely »

im thinking the arg it self maybe over but all the answers wont really be revealed in server 5... i just read in EGM
...But with a game of this scale, you want the story to be accessable and enjoyable to a majority of people. We won't forget the hardcore fans, though-there's still going to be lots of extra story that they can find themselves.
Already, hardcore Halo followers have discovered a comic strip...and a group... called the Society of the Ancients-all part of Iris, Halo 3's alternate-reality game (ARG).
it also says that they told 42 Entertainment
'Sure! Here's a cool artifact buried beneath the savannah, and here's an idea we have for a story you might do about that.' It touches on Halo 3.
i like how it says it touches on halo 3... like we're all just tapping the iceberg. im thinking theres more to the story, lots more, this just gets us on the right trail to find it in game. things that others won't know to look for but we would. (they also mention something about terminals which are linked to an achievement called Marathon Man. which im sure is old news but thats kinda cool if we know what to look for and other people dont.) :P
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

Why are so many people saying that the plot of Halo 3 focuses on the Forerunner's past?

Likely most of what we'll learn will be through Guilty Spark or something in the game, and they won't go in depth on the Forerunners themselves, but rather how humanity and the species of the covenant survived the first firing of the Halos and such.

I mean if the Forerunner found that the Flood came from outside the galaxy and that was revealed in the servers, I doubt it'll be something major in the game.

So for the record: Story of the Forerunners =/= Halo 3. The story arc is about Master Chief fighting the Covenant, the Forerunner are just a nifty add-on to make the story. The story of the first two Halo games didn't entirely focus on Forerunner, only a few scenes did, so why should Forerunner info be dominant in Halo 3?

The only thing Bungie is worried about is the ending leaking or some idiotic publisher dude in France makes an illegal upload of Halo 3.

Personally, I think there is more to the ARG than the servers, since it needs more NOW elements rather than mostly THEN elements.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

supremely wrote:i like how it says it touches on halo 3... like we're all just tapping the iceberg. im thinking theres more to the story, lots more, this just gets us on the right trail to find it in game. things that others won't know to look for but we would. (they also mention something about terminals which are linked to an achievement called Marathon Man. which im sure is old news but thats kinda cool if we know what to look for and other people dont.) :P
The story of Iris is designed to give anyone who cares to hear (read) it more of the backstory of the Halo trilogy. Whether information about the Forerunner plays a large part in the new game or not remains to be seen.

The Marathon Man acheivement refers to "finding all 40 computer terminals" through the course of the game (about 4 per level). It's an homage to the Marathon games, which used computer terminals to communicate mission objectives, reveal plot details, and transport the player from one level to the next.

My hope is the terminals in Halo 3 will provide even more information about the Forerunners, the Flood, and the history of the original Halo firing.
monctezuma
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by monctezuma »

Sorry to be a little late in the conversation, but I remember reading a press release by microsoft saying that iris will end the verry day halo3 will be released. So considering the fact that 4 servers are open and that one is left and we're only the 10th of august, I think server 5 will open days before halo3 and something else will hold us until 25th september.
I'm Not Afraid
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by I'm Not Afraid »

Iris. It's finished. No, I think we're just getting started. <- See what I did there?
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

I'm Not Afraid wrote:Iris. It's finished. No, I think we're just getting started. <- See what I did there?
Smart ass... :D

I absolutely LOVE the idea of computer terminals in Halo 3... If they're like in Marathon, then it's going to be freakin awesome!
The Se7enth Prophet
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by The Se7enth Prophet »

I'm Not Afraid wrote:Iris. It's finished. No, I think we're just getting started. <- See what I did there?

I see what you did there.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

I'm Not Afraid wrote:"I'm not afraid."
[color=#008000 wrote:Yoda[/color]]"You will be. You will be."
Two can play at that game... ;) :D
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »