Will IRIS end after server 5?

Discussion of the out-of-game, real-world aspects of the Iris Alternate Reality Game.

Moderator: Moderators

Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Re: Will IRIS end after server 5?

Unread post by Frogwart »

Ah...just having a little fun with my inexhaustible Star Wars (original trilogy) quotation memory bank.

Back to the topic...
SyrupHorder
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by SyrupHorder »

I'd like to add a little tidbit in that I discovered over at GameSpot.
Listen to this:
QUOTE: The representative also revealed that Halo 3 scribe Frank O'Connor is masterminding the current effort. The ARG is set to culminate on September 26, the day after Halo 3 arrives in stores.

Yah here that? I think most people know the Frank O'Connor thing, but now we all have a good idea of the end date for Iris.
Also answer's all ya'll's questions. It will not end after 05!!!
sharpsniper99
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by sharpsniper99 »

either that or server 05 will take a huuuuge time to open

actualy you know what would be really amazing, if we have to do something in halo 3 itself to unlock server 5, obviusly peaple like me without live would be screwed, but imagine how cool that will be!

(even though its obviusly never going to happen)
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Omega Hunter 9 »

Here's the source for the end date of Sept. 26th.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... 5&mode=all
Zero
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Zero »

There is much more to the story, if all we get are the episodes its bullshit. Mainly this was the backstory to tell the tale of the forerunners, Mostly the flood. :/

And we get these tidbits wich mean nothing!
yakaman
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by yakaman »

Zero - I could not disagree more. We've gotten more Flood/Forerunner backstory in the last 6 weeks than in almost the entire previous 4-6 years.

By itself, the Halo3.com/comic speaks volumes. The data record of the moments leading up to the firing of the Halos was haunting in its starkness and relative normalcy. We've learned that the Flood was not created, but came from outside the galaxy, that there were numerous worlds populated with (likely) numerous sapient species, that humanity was (likely) one of the few "worthy" sapient species protected and preserved by the Forerunner. We've heard whispers from a dissenter, perhaps the one who is responsible for sabotaging the Reclaimation. We've learned that the Flood war is/was far more epic, something more fundamental than one army versus another. We've been able to taste the desperation of the Forerunner; sense the depth of their despair and regret.

I don't think Bungie will ever come out and lay out bullet-point details; their storytelling seems to be done in broad strokes with plenty of room for conjecture and possibility. The like to leave room for the imagination to prowl. I've never played an ARG before, so I can't speak to how this has been as an ARG experience.

But as a Halo Story experience? It has been fantastic. F***ing right on.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

yakaman wrote:Zero - I could not disagree more. We've gotten more Flood/Forerunner backstory in the last 6 weeks than in almost the entire previous 4-6 years.

By itself, the Halo3.com/comic speaks volumes. The data record of the moments leading up to the firing of the Halos was haunting in its starkness and relative normalcy. We've learned that the Flood was not created, but came from outside the galaxy, that there were numerous worlds populated with (likely) numerous sapient species, that humanity was (likely) one of the few "worthy" sapient species protected and preserved by the Forerunner. We've heard whispers from a dissenter, perhaps the one who is responsible for sabotaging the Reclaimation. We've learned that the Flood war is/was far more epic, something more fundamental than one army versus another. We've been able to taste the desperation of the Forerunner; sense the depth of their despair and regret.

I don't think Bungie will ever come out and lay out bullet-point details; their storytelling seems to be done in broad strokes with plenty of room for conjecture and possibility. The like to leave room for the imagination to prowl. I've never played an ARG before, so I can't speak to how this has been as an ARG experience.

But as a Halo Story experience? It has been fantastic. F***ing right on.
Very well said. I will say that the first three servers kinda bored me as far as story goes, there really wasn't too much content. But when server four opened, it just seems like everything exploded. By making the single statement that the Flood are from another galaxy, so many of our theories were disproven, while many others were proven. It's looking like server five should tell us something very important. I mean, come on, your finale can't be boring compared to one of the earlier chapters, right? :D
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Well, I hate to post the same thing in different threads, but I'm going to break the rule here.
Frogwart wrote:
SyrupHorder wrote:I'd like to add a little tidbit in that I discovered over at GameSpot.
Listen to this:
QUOTE: The representative also revealed that Halo 3 scribe Frank O'Connor is masterminding the current effort. The ARG is set to culminate on September 26, the day after Halo 3 arrives in stores.
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but that quote isn't accurate, and it's Gamespot's misreading of the information that's the problem.

Follow the link to the original article and you'll find this line about the ARG:
It's designed to give us more information on how the great conflict all began, as we build up to the climactic conclusion of the series on 26th September.
Remember the article this originated with is from a European gamesite, and Halo 3 is being released in Europe on September 26th.
They're saying not that Iris ends 9/26, but (for euro-gamers) the Halo 3 story ends 9/26. Gamespot read it wrong.

Besides, who's going to choose to play Iris once Halo 3 is in their hands? I'm just sayin'.
MC_
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by MC_ »

On the topic of information provided by previous servers;has anyone tried understanding the meaning of any of the random symbols on some of the videos/images? I tried looking at the some on the video on server 3, and found that they were each composed of a combination/group of similarly-lengthed bars extending from either the top or bottom...
SyrupHorder
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by SyrupHorder »

Thanks for the update Frogwart, I knew I couldn't trust Gamespot.
From now on its IGN and 1up only...