Hidden image in Iris Fan Kit?

The home for threads that have been locked and don't fit into any other archive category.

Moderator: Moderators

Snoogle
Data [Undefined]

Hidden image in Iris Fan Kit?

Unread post by Snoogle »

Being a man who thinks obvious places are the best hiding locales I decided to do some obvious detective work and simply invert the picture files included in the kit. For the most part, it was a fruitless endeavor but something kind of interesting happened with iris_icon.gif. When inverted it appears to be cell-like. I don't know if this amounts to anything interesting down the road, and I'm fully aware that it could just be a man reading into things a bit too much, but it is intriguing to me.

Original size

Crudely blown up
Zero
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Hidden image in Iris Fan Kit?

Unread post by Zero »

Could lead us somewhere, but also it looks like a Metroid. I could see the image of the symbol.
SyrupHorder
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by SyrupHorder »

Yeah dude I see the glyph in it so keep searching cuz I don't have a kit.
EliteSniper177
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by EliteSniper177 »

well if you look at the image, the glyph has a glow, so if the glyph was sharpened and inverted itd come out kinda like that
Snoogle
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Snoogle »

I considered it just being a product of the glow, but I thought the invert came out sort of defined beyond that. I realize it is pretty elementary, but with Flood laboratories and apparent Forerunner manipulation in human social development, you just never know when genetics might start playing a part also.
DocOctavius
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by DocOctavius »

Um.. if you have to alter the image and THEN invert it to see anything, it's not an intentional clue. If you invert the image it looks the same only inverted, the result you got is only after altering the original image, which IMO doesn't indicate anything. You could type a letter a and distort it enough to make it look like a cellular form. This should probably be locked...
beelzebub
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by beelzebub »

I thought this would have died by now. That funny invert is probably because of the fact that you're inverting a GIF, which uses a limited palette of colors, with indexes into the palette for each pixel. Thus there's no real "hierarchy" of colors as there would be with an RGB image (e.g., a PNG), and "inverting" the index value gives you more or less a random color value rather than a true negative.

In other words, this is nothing. Lock it.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

Seeing as how an invert has led to a formula, don't lock it.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

no invert was necessary to find the formula. Just boosting contrast - the info was already there without undefined distortion, unlike the glyph.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

thebruce wrote:no invert was necessary to find the formula. Just boosting contrast - the info was already there without undefined distortion, unlike the glyph.
But still, people on CI originally found it through inverting from what I gathered there in that sloppy post of theirs.