Traxus

The home for threads that have been locked and don't fit into any other archive category.

Moderator: Moderators

PapaStu
Data [Conditional]

Traxus

Unread post by PapaStu »

I know this probably doesn't have a TON to do with the ARG but as I was sifting thru the new E3 video and looking for extra things of note I noticed that a bunch of the in game fighting was at a facility/factory that had big ol' Traxus cargo containers all about. Doing some quick google work, I know that Traxus is tied into Marathon pretty heavily being that it was one of the AI's and all.

Is this anything of note, or just more Halo/Marathon tie-in/Mythos?
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Traxus

Unread post by scapermoya »

joystiq mentioned that in their breakdown of the trailer. traxus is all over that thing, but im not sure its related to the ARG.
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

IMO Bungie easter egg...

http://traxus.jjaro.net/traxus/Main_Page
"the Traxus Project, a knowledge database about the Marathon universe and community"

or more importantly, from Marathon:
It is a side effect of Rampancy that AIs generally become more aggressive and more difficult to affect by subterfuge. Thus, actually disassembling a Rampant AI is quite dangerous. This was evident in the Crash of Traxus IV in 2206. By the time that the Rampancy of Traxus was detected, he had already infiltrated five of the other AIs on the Martian Net. The only recourse for the Martians was to shut down the Martian Planetary Net. Even then, it took two full years to completely root out the damage that Traxus had done, and the repercussions of the Crash were seen for over ten years after his Rampancy had begun.
discussed here
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Perhaps of greater significance is that it has been widely speculated that Durandal, the main AI of the Marathon series, was a "rebooted" Traxus. See discussion here.

But I agree, it's likely an easter egg. Or (I hope I hope I hope) another hint that the Marathon and Halo universes are more connected than Bungie have claimed. But probably not connected to the ARG.
Menelven
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Menelven »

Since it seems to be an easter egg, and not part of Iris, I'm going to lock this unless evidence shows it is relevant.