Site Security

The home for threads that have been locked and don't fit into any other archive category.

Moderator: Moderators

Facultas Tempestas
Data [Authenticated]

Site Security

Unread post by Facultas Tempestas »

This was mentioned elsewhere in the forum, and it souded like a good idea to me.

I vote for closing at least the discussion section of the forum to members only, so that lurkers aren't picking up our table scraps and cashing in on the servers. I for one prolly spend like 4 hrs a day logged into the site, going through this stuff and I think it sucks to know that there are other people just hanging around looking for the clues to get themselves some loot without contributing.
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Site Security

Unread post by Omega Hunter 9 »

Hah, 4 hours, I laugh....I got 11 hours in most days. (No offense)

Would it be possibly to get ahold of the site admin, and require registration to enter any forum?
thebruce
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thebruce »

as much as it hurts to say, that goes against all that community stands for, and I'd recommend against ABO doing it, or ABO-related irc channels doing it. If you want to have closed discussion on your own terms, go ahead and form it... but as unfair as it is to those of us who do do the work, it's contrary to what we stand for in the ARG community. :?
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

What would be unfair is to have a post minimum to access areas, that's unfair. It is possibly to just register, then not post and have access. Now, you may say what's the point to that? I say its for keeping tabs on how many separate people are watching, which guest listing don't do.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

The promise of loot has turned this collaborative game into some nightmarish "Lord of the Flies" sort of situation. I vote no on closing anything off, simply because it encourages competition rather than cooperation. And I have really yet to see any sort of evidence that these straw-man "people who don't contribute but just camp and wait for server unlocking info" actually exist in any kind of significant numbers.

If they do exist, a thirty-second registration process seems like it would do little to deter them. There are nearly 3,500 members of CompoundIntelligence; joining that group requires registration as well.

And the last thing this place needs is some doomed attempt to quantify how much contributing is "enough" to warrant getting a server key.

Edit: If you can't play this game without getting a t-shirt, chances are very, very good that you're going to walk away disappointed.
Last edited by Maimbot 9000 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Wow, I just got owned.
Facultas Tempestas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Facultas Tempestas »

This isn't about stopping people from getting server keys. The server keys are more or less arbitrary, there are plenty of people on here who have spent hours upon hours and yet come up empty handed all three times. There are a lot of forums out there (maybe not Iris related) that restrict viewing to members only, I don't see the problem with doing it here. If nothing else, it might cause some would-be lurkers to actually join in seeming as how it would force them to register.

PS Omega: How in the world are you pulling 11 hours? Unless of course, as usual, I'm figuring that everyone on here has a full time job and I'm completely wrong...
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Facultas Tempestas wrote:This isn't about stopping people from getting server keys. The server keys are more or less arbitrary, there are plenty of people on here who have spent hours upon hours and yet come up empty handed all three times. There are a lot of forums out there (maybe not Iris related) that restrict viewing to members only, I don't see the problem with doing it here. If nothing else, it might cause some would-be lurkers to actually join in seeming as how it would force them to register.

PS Omega: How in the world are you pulling 11 hours? Unless of course, as usual, I'm figuring that everyone on here has a full time job and I'm completely wrong...
Yeah, no full time job, or part time. Which I actually don't like. I applied to Borders twice and nothing. Also, I'm still going to be a Senior in high school, so I would have a part time job anyway. So, I manage. ;)

I guess that we're getting stir crazy with a servor opening so close, and so many people with nothing. You know, with all this spare time I would have great potential as a mod. (*hint hint*)
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

I'm in complete agreement with thebruce. Here's the thing:

1. We close down Discussion except to Members.
2. Guests register as Members.
3. They never post or do anything but log in and watch, thus nothing has changed.

ABO will remain the way it is. *bang gavel* Locked.