Authenticity of Each Encounter

Leads that wound up being lost causes, having nothing to do with the ARG. Also, for threads discussing what turned out to be hoaxes.

Moderator: Moderators

Sharkiest
Data [Undefined]

Authenticity of Each Encounter

Unread post by Sharkiest »

How sure is it that each encounter with the AI is actually with the AI, and not somebody imitating it?

I know there are already a few fake accounts popping up on forums.
3of9
Arbiter

Re: Authenticity of Each Encounter

Unread post by 3of9 »

That is part of our purpose... to help separate the real from the hoax.
Sharkiest
Data [Undefined]

In particular, I'm talking about the XBL conversation... the speech tendencies and mannerisms were slightly off from the Bungie and HBO ones.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

I'm leaning on the side of caution with this one. AR said he would be communicating using B.net, and we have no cause to believe he is using any other source. There have already been several disproved hoaxes.
ToyMachine228
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ToyMachine228 »

Yeah the XBL thing might be bogus. If you've read any of the Halo novels and stuff like that you know how the AI's in Halo usually communicate and certain words like "XBL" just don't fit their vocabulary.
SS_Zag1
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by SS_Zag1 »

AdjutantReflex clearly stated that he's remaining on Bungie.net, so the XBL, AIM, MSN, and other conversations are all faked, either by the submitter or the person on the other end impersonating the AI.

Mildly off-topic, but I would ask all of you to remember one key thing about Alternate Reality Games. They take place in our time. I noticed on many of the other forums (and man, is it getting chaotic), that people keep asking the AI, or saying things to the AI that have to do with the game series itself, such as Cortana, Master Chief, and other events that haven't happened before the year 2007. Why is the AI here, in our time? Well, obviously it's Forerunner, so it is around, but why is contacting us? Well, that's the game, isn't it? ;)

More on-topic; Alternate Reality Games, just like I Love Bees had started, start out slow, and weed out all the players who won't really get interested, or spread the word in just the right manner. From the start, they're small, then they get bigger. I'm sure we'll get the AI speaking from more sources, but until we find any otherwise, he's staying on Bungie.net.

(Also, Lyca.com and the other websites related that are going around aren't affilliated. It seems to be a silly belief all about Bungie.net right now.)

-Zag
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

They would definately be more inclined to call it something official instead of the acronym.

Thank you for the clarification Zag.
Lichtonatus
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by Lichtonatus »

I take it that means adjutant_reflex@hotmail.com is probably a fake??

Altho, his mannersisms seem appropriate, and he has none of the blatant spelling errors in his text. The ony thing that concerns me is that his handle/username is Adjutant Refflex's Ark Mainframe, and AR hasn't yet said he has anything to do with the Ark (at least not officially on Bungie.net)....has he?
muddy9494
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by muddy9494 »

In the AIM convo with the correct spelling..He needs a key... and he mentioned the ark alot.
Sharkiest
Data [Undefined]

Exactly, that's what's worrying me about it. It's far too soon into the game for him to be saying things like that.

Monitors tend to have extremely advanced vocabulary, and usually with things like that they don't use acronyms like "XBL". They speak in the literary proper.