When did the covenant discover halo?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

When did the covenant discover halo?

Unread post by uncle_trubble »

It is obvious that the covenant knew about halo, probably from archeology of forerunner objects, buildings, etc., but when did they actually find it? THe fact that they were searching for the control room during halo: CE after the landing on alpha halo indicates that they only found it by accident while chasing the PoA, as does the fact that they have no military presence there other than what came with the pursuing fleet-there are no bases, no organized communication system and no organized troop deployment or retreat plan (their evacuation of alpha is sloppy and htey obviously take massive casualties even before alpha is destroyed). This would also indicate that the covenant had no practical experience with the flood, as all surviving flood seem to be in or released from stasis on the halos.
Agent ME
Data [Authenticated]

Re: When did the covenant discover halo?

Unread post by Agent ME »

The Covenant ships were already there when the POA arrived, and in Halo: The Flood one of the covenant ship commanders asks about what ship the POA followed to Halo, and one of the Prophets suggests they were unconsciously drawn to the greatness of the forerunner.
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Hmm. Well, the fact that hte ships were already there doesn't necessarily mean anything-
KEYES:

We made a blind jump.... How did they -

CORTANA:

Get here first? The Covenant ships have always been faster. As for tracking us all the way from Reach, at light speed my maneuvering options were limited.
ELITE COMMANDER:

It fled, as we set fire to their planet.

ELITE COMMANDER:

But I followed with all the ships in my command.

PROPHET OF TRUTH:

When you first saw Halo, were you blinded by its majesty?
And the quote from Halo:The Flood also doesn't definitively prove that the covenant already knew where halo was (though it does indicate it, it could be interpreted in several ways).
failedparachute
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by failedparachute »

It's possible a detachment had found it from the coordinates on a Forerunner artifact, and that the battlegroup the Arbiter led wasn't aware of the other's position. As for Cortana's statement, she probably lied.
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

The covenant's commuication throughout their fleet is pretty good (with cortana actively using the 'covenant battlenet') and cortana has no reason to lie.
failedparachute
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by failedparachute »

Yes she does, because she didn't follow Cole Protocol, it wasn't a random jump.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

And she bald-facedly lies, in the first game, about what caused the Pillar of Autumn to explode. She has MC blow it up, but tells Foe Hammer the ship is exploding because "The engines must have sustained more damage than we thought!"

Cortana has her own agenda.
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

There's a lot of hysteria (I mean no offense, but htat's what it is in my opinion) about Cortana. What she says to foehammer IS NOT a lie. The engines are progressing towards a meltdown/detonation much FASTER than was expected, she's not lying about how it began, she's telling foe hammer that it's very urgent. Also, when did Cortana disobey Cole protocol? I think you're wrong, the jump was IN ACCORDANCE with Cole protocol, jumping randomly to lead the covenant away from Earth.
Am3692
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Am3692 »

In Fall of Reach, Cortana realized it is the same coordinates as the one found in Corte Azur or however you spell it. My guess is the Covenant discovered Forerunner artifacts there, and found the location of Halo.
scapermoya
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by scapermoya »

côte d'azur..... the south of france?