[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/session.php on line 1035: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4581: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4583: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4585: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
args.bungie.org - View topic - Durandal.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Durandal. 
Data [Conditional]

Unread post Re: Durandal.

Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:36 am
Data [Conditional]

Yes - I loved Reid's theory from the moment I read it. Unfortunately, there is no "proof" of this connection. Even the stuff from this ARG, while ambiguous and tantalizing, doesn't necessarily connect to Durandal. Narcogen made a pretty good case against it - and it's hard to argue the facts effectively.

I don't think the entity who terminated AR is Durandal. To me, it always felt like a Forerunner AI that has a history of following protocol to the letter without "caring" for the consequences.

But I still like the idea of Reid theory because if feels exactly like something Bungie might do. I don't think we'll ever know for sure though - this has eternal ambiguity written all over it. I'm still a Reidite though, and even though we'll probably never know, it's something I want to believe in. ;)

Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:30 am
Data [Conditional]

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:43 pm
Data [Conditional]

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:44 pm
Data [Conditional]

Problem is Durandal is implied to *not* survive the closure of the universe. Only the "eternal hero" of the Mk IV cyborg survives to continue to save the world time after time.

Tycho is also dead. He is killed by Durandal.

The similarities between the ARG posts and Durandal I think are more manifestions of both being the creation of Bungie. While some of the posts sort of sound like him, I think we are just reaching for connections whether they be real or not.

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:29 pm
Data [Conditional]

Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:35 pm
Data [Authenticated]

Another point is that I don't recall the combined Durandal/Thoth entity being nearly as interested in escaping the end of the universe as Durandal alone was. The new entity seemed a lot more... I don't know... enlightened. Content. So if we're going to read Durandal's attitude, writing style, or desires into anything happening in Halo, we have to remember that he was no longer Durandal by the end of things. All his attributes changed.

Of course, Halo Infinity may or may not have been the same timeline as the first two Marathons... where's the "headache" emoticon?

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:08 pm
Data [Conditional]

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:00 pm
Data [Authenticated]

Well, you have to remember that the Cortana letters aren't official canon in the Halo universe. Maybe they will be one day, but at the moment they aren't. That out of the way can someone enlighten me on how/why Cortana would be/is rampant?

I do like the idea that Durandal somehow ties into the Haloverse. I grew up with Bungie (the first games I ever played was the Marathon Trilogy, which I need to go back and play through). I had been on the fence on whether or not I should post a Durandal theory, but it seems I've been beaten to the punch. And a very similar idea no less. Well, great minds think alike, I only wish I had more to add at the moment.

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:23 pm
Data [Conditional]

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next