Flood from outside galaxy?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

rewind
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Flood from outside galaxy?

Unread post by rewind »

Admiral Whitcomb wrote:But 343GS said that the halo's were designed to eradicate all life within THIS galaxy.
Halo: The Flood Page 256
"This installation has a maximum effective radius of twenty- five thousand light years, but once the others folow suit, this galaxy will be quite devoid of life, or at least any life with sufficient biomas to sustain the Flood."
So maybe the forerunners wanted to eliminate all life here, to keep the flood away, then secretly repopulate this galaxy after the flood no longer had an interest in it. of course that raises the question of why the forerunners would keep the flood on the halos...
Well you did just say it...eliminate all life of sufficient bio-mass...

Also, they attack and consume all life, but can only be supported by calcium-based life forms...
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

Maimbot 9000 wrote:Yes, I think we just found out, pretty conclusively, that the Flood are not the creation of the Forerunner. They are from... elsewhere... and it sounds like the Forerunner were massively unprepared to fight them.

I have to say I got chills watching that video, learning that the Flood had conquered, I presume, other galaxies. That the infection is bigger than anyone thought. Hell, maybe we're the only uninfected galaxy left.
For a long time I was under the impression that the Flood were some sort of Frankensteinian tragedy of the Forerunner...but as Server 02 has said, they have some from elsewhere, and are more enduring than we previously thought.
Icy Inferno wrote:Considering that the flood completely erased a race that was so far beyond anything that the covenant or humanity could ever create it makes you wonder how in the heck humanity is going to fight off a parasite that has conquered not only the forerunners, but other galaxys and survived a life ending blast on the thing that blasted them (the flood were discovered on halo is what I'm refering to).

Not to mention that it seems like humanity and the covenant are going to beat the hell out of each then have to deal with the flood.
In "The Last Voyage of the Infinite Succor", from the HGN, the Flood mind invading that ship said to Half-Jaw (more or less a direct quote), "The Forerunners...not defeat us. What chance...you?" Intimidating, no?

:shock:
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Admiral Whitcomb »

well, we got the chief, the forerunners didnt
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Pak »

Flood do not have to be from outside our galaxy. The line server 2 log demonstrates that the forerunner initially misjudged the flood. They took them for a mindless parasite, assuming all intelligent life develops the same way. In lieu of this misunderstanding, the flood could have evolved within our galaxy, overlooked by the forerunner. Likewise, there is still a possibility of forerunner creation, though it seems unlikely the forerunner would unknowingly create an intelligent parasite. However, it is possible. Remember, the forerunner are susceptible to the same politics and follies we are.
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

well if the flood had done this before, that rules out forerunner creation
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Pak »

Admiral Whitcomb wrote:well if the flood had done this before, that rules out forerunner creation
That is a misinterpretation of that line. In the context of the lines before it "it spoke to us
MOCKINGLY, DISMISSIVELY" it would seem that it had spoken to the forerunner before. Indeed, the only verbs referred to in the log are communication and realization. It seems silly that "It has done this before" would really mean "It has realized that we had its measure before." That leaves one option, the line means "It has spoken to us before."
Agent ME
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Agent ME »

Or it means they have taken over a civilization before.
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Pak »

Agent ME wrote:Or it means they have taken over a civilization before.
Not if the context of the log is intact. The pronoun this would have to refer to an action or noun already present in the log. The only actions with respect the 'the mind' are realization and speech.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

You're saying the transcript is telling us "The Flood mind had spoken to us before, elsewhere"? How is that useful information?

It spoke to the Forerunner "mockingly, dismissively." [It told us] it had done this before, elsewhere." That's how I read it. The Forerunner thought they'd found a way to beat the Flood. And the Flood mind responded, basically, "Guys, I've survived crap like this before."

Edit: Your argument is that "this" has to refer to something else in the message; I don't think that's the case at all. The Flood does one thing. It infects and spreads. Strictly speaking, the grammar of the message could be clearer, I agree. But it's still legible the way it's written, without "this" referring back to a previously used noun.
Last edited by Maimbot 9000 on Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral Whitcomb
Data [Authenticated]

seems like the flood are starting to resemble the borg more and more