AdjutantReflex = Promotional Scheme for Marathon?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

cortinator
Data [Undefined]

AdjutantReflex = Promotional Scheme for Marathon?

Unread post by cortinator »

At least, thats what I think, mainly because around the same time he was introduced, rumors started circulating the internet saying that Marathon will be coming to the Xbox Live arcade. Your thoughts.
Henkka
Data [Conditional]

Re: AdjutantReflex = Promotional Scheme for Marathon?

Unread post by Henkka »

No
LoneRanger 2.5
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by LoneRanger 2.5 »

Those rumors have been circulating ever since Xbox Live Arcade came into existence. And if there was ever going to be a place to launch a Marathon viral marketing scheme, it would probably be at the Marathon.Bungie.Org forums.

I'm not saying that your proposal is impossible, but it's highly unlikely. This especially after taking into consideration the recent Forerunner poem (That's only from what I've heard, mind you).
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

I agree. Why market a live arcade game when Halo 3 is coming out soon anyway?
LoneRanger 2.5
Data [Authenticated]

That would actually be a fairly brilliant move. It's just like releasing the "Blastacular Map Pack" the month before the beta launched. It got people even more excited.

If Marathon was marketed the same way as Halo 3, and promised as the game's spiritual successor, it would be a huge hit.

Wait. Did I just knock my theory down a notch?
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

LoneRanger 2.5 wrote:That would actually be a fairly brilliant move. It's just like releasing the "Blastacular Map Pack" the month before the beta launched. It got people even more excited.

If Marathon was marketed the same way as Halo 3, and promised as the game's spiritual successor, it would be a huge hit.

Wait. Did I just knock my theory down a notch?
Did. You did. I understand marketing, but marketing an old game instead of the new one? Not sure that makes business sense. Sell a 60 dollar game or a 10 dollar arcade game.
LoneRanger 2.5
Data [Authenticated]

Why not sell both? Everyone who's going to buy Halo 3 already knows they're going to. However, many people have never even heard of Marathon. If Microsoft tied in their marketing strategies for their sensation and their classic, then they could make millions off of both.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

A good point, although I'm just imagining that most of the people who will buy the Marathon game will buy it because either: they played it on Mac/PC already and want the nostalgia, or that they just see something interesting. Advertising an old game that is available for free on the internet just seems like a no-no to me. You make a good point though.
LoneRanger 2.5
Data [Authenticated]

Microsoft has a way of making people drink the magical Kool-Aid that allows them to see things Bill Gates' way. If it contradicts the PR plan, then it is never to be spoken of by Microsoft employees.
343 Guilty Sparked
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by 343 Guilty Sparked »

A good point: Marathon, like the Halo 2 Maps, would increase hype for Halo 3, but there's also a danger of having the zillions of marathon fans be distracted from Halo 3, so it's probably not worth it.