Every Ancient Culture has a Flood Story

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Orpheus
Data [Conditional]

Every Ancient Culture has a Flood Story

Unread post by Orpheus »

Ancient Civilization Flood Stories
http://jewishatheist.blogspot.com/2005/ ... world.html
even more, separated out by continent, region, and culture etc...
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html
and also one from mesopotamia, one of the earliest civilizations
http://www.mythfolklore.net/3043mythfol ... ground.htm

I was watching the fireworks when I remembered my 6th grade history teacher saying that every ancient civilization has a flood story, yes I know sounds off topic but think.

1)Forerunner come to earth and build the Ark
2)Forerunner and us take shelter in the Ark
3)Halos activated and sterilization(the flood in the stories) was unleashed upon the galaxy

in the stories the flood is the Halo's detonating

So the rest of humanity has died, and the ones that had survived had the story of the Ark, they tell their story to their children, grandchildren, and so on and so forth. But as we populated more and more of the Earth the real story was altered
my theory: This means that the Forerunner and Humans are separate species
That the Halos were activated before
That all of present day human's ancestors took shelter within the Ark

This makes sense because the Flood killed all land animals, and in most story there is a repopulating which is obviously the few survivors reseeding Earth

I wrote this up as I thought it so it might seem kinda shaky, but I'll elaborate after more thought.

EDIT: i checked out the Kenyan one
Kikuyu (Kenya):
A beautiful but mysterious woman agreed to marry a man on the condition that he never ask about her family. He agreed, and they lived happily together until it was time for their oldest son's circumcision, and the man asked his wife why her family couldn't attend the ceremony. With that, the wife bounced into the air and made a hole seven miles deep when she landed. She called upon her ancestors, who came as spirits from Mt. Kenya. The spirits raised a thunder and hailstorm as they came. They brought food, goats, cattle, and beer with them and, while the people took shelter in caves, flooded the countryside with beer, turning it into a lake. When the spirits left, they took the couple and their children with them into Mt. Kenya. [Abrahams, pp. 336-338]
the hole 7 miles deep might mean the position of the Ark, and in the Halo 3 G3, when the Ark is opening a lot of clouds were in the sky, which links to the "the raised a thunder and hailstorm as they came"

ack, but its late, I'll clarify more in the morning
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Every Ancient Culture has a Flood Story

Unread post by Echelon Three »

Interesting concept, and the fact that each culture has some form of Flood story is interesting, especially the Kenyan one...that one is really something considering where the Ark is supposed to be. Good find.
AI23
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by AI23 »

Here's an interesting biblical connection. The Ark protected Noah and company from the Flood. It was God who actually shut the door locking them in. In the halo comic the Forerunners were called Gods by the locals. When the flood was over and the Ark came to rest (theoretically on Mt Ararat in Turkey) Noah and the animals were given a sign that would remind both God and everyone else of his covenant with all living creatures to never again destroy the earth by Flood. That sign was a rainbow.

It's an interesting thing to ponder.
Kiloh Ekim
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kiloh Ekim »

Well, everything seems to fit, but there is a reason behind the Flood in christian beliefs. Many religions (Egyptians and Native Americans, for example) begin their creation with the basic, simple idea of: In the beginning, before man, the waters of chaos flooded the Earth For the record, I'm paraphrasing, but this would have been thoughts from different people who left the Biblical Ark after the flood, that formed their own religions over time.

The actual thing that will take place in the halo series, will be that, the stories of the Flood are passed down and eventually developed into the religions we know today.