Forerunner Weapons on Halo

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Webshift
Site Admin

Forerunner Weapons on Halo

Unread post by Webshift »

so I was playing thru Halo 2 again on legandary, and we all know how their is sometimes different dialog when played thru on this level.
well I got to the part where you take on the Heretic Leader. If you take a while to kill him because *cough*my l33+ skilz were lacking*cough* he starts asking you logical questions about the "Great Journey"
One question he asked was something along the lines of...with all this technology why are their know weapons that were used to fight the flood on halo? Why are we only finding that the forerunners kept the parasite on ice? I know that his point was to point out that the "Great Journey" was a death trap but still...why were their no actual weapons on Halo? You could say that it was because they weren't written into the game? But then why put in this line about the Heretic not finding anything?
Even in the server that we unlocked it said that there were numerous attempts to combat the flood and that the firing of the Halos was a last resort. Where are the other weapons that were tried out first? Where is the level 12 combat suit that Guilty Spark talks about?

Just wondering why we didn't see more forerunner weapons on Halo...
Kwalitee
Data [Conditional]

Re: Forerunner Weapons on Halo

Unread post by Kwalitee »

Well the Halos seemed to have the secondary purpose of containing Flood samples for study. If their point was to preserve a small portion of Flood, they would not include weapons to destroy them, since it was logical for the Forerunner to assume that they would not get out (so long as they were not let out, which both the Covenant and humans did). Also, if the Halos themselves are giant weapons, why would someone store weapons on a weapon?

As for your other questions...m'eh?
robotchickengod
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by robotchickengod »

Also, though, in the server files, the picture that is suppose to be the 'flood infection' looks a lot like its a slice of cellular tissue from my biology classes. Its possible their efforts they attempted could have been primarily biological, like fighting an infection, or an outbreak.
And, wouldn't it be just like a super-intelligent race to get so reliant on their technology that they no longer defend themselves, but instead create technology to defend them (aka sentinels et. all)....which would explain why the sentinels were not prepared to defend against the weaponry the flood used when we encountered the flood ripping the sentinels apart in Halo.
Webshift
Site Admin

Kwalitee wrote:Well the Halos seemed to have the secondary purpose of containing Flood samples for study. If their point was to preserve a small portion of Flood, they would not include weapons to destroy them, since it was logical for the Forerunner to assume that they would not get out (so long as they were not let out, which both the Covenant and humans did). Also, if the Halos themselves are giant weapons, why would someone store weapons on a weapon?

As for your other questions...m'eh?
Well the thing is...and I guess I should have mentioned this too. The installation, and forgive me I forget the name, that the Heretic was on, wasn't Halo. In fact Guilty Spark said that it predated Halo by a few hundred years...and that he had overseen it's construction. So I guess my real question is...why weren't their any weapons on the installation the Heretic took over?
robotchickengod
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by robotchickengod »

God, I played that level last week, and was trying to figure out what that installation is. I mean, I think its a resource tether and the bigger facility its connected to is a refinery. But I don't know where I got that idea. Probably from the sentinels moving material around.

Would the Forerunner have taken/destroyed any potentially hazardous weapons or equipment they thought the flood might have been able to use? I mean, if they studied them long enough, they must have discovered that the flood starts out as a parasite and accumulates into a large consciousness and fairly evolved form of intelligence.
Webshift
Site Admin

robotchickengod wrote:God, I played that level last week, and was trying to figure out what that installation is. I mean, I think its a resource tether and the bigger facility its connected to is a refinery. But I don't know where I got that idea. Probably from the sentinels moving material around.
that's what I believe it is...some type of refining facility, and whatever they refined their was used to power the facility. As you can tell by some of those containers being filled with explosive gases.
Kwalitee
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kwalitee »

Well, I suppose similar reasoning would apply to the gas mine. It wasn't meant as a combat station, so why keep weapons on it?

Could also be that the Heretics took them, or that he never got the opportunity to reach a cache before the station fell into the planet.

I do like the theory that they attempted to fight the Flood like a disease. That might be more likely.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

The stray stuff was "disposed of" to keep the facility clean, just as 343 likes it.
System Failure
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by System Failure »

Also i was thinking its probably the same reason you don't smoke near a gas station. Plasma weaponry + gas = Explosion.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

I always assumed the idea was that, if the Flood ever got out of control on that research facility, the Forerunner would break the tether like the Arbiter did, and let it fall into the gas giant. That would hopefully wipe out just about anything alive on the station.

In fact, yep, here's the relevant transcript from HBO:
343 GUILTY SPARK:

This mining facility predates Installation Alpha by several hundred years. It was retrofitted to research possible offensive and defensive measures against the Flood. Indeed, I designed and oversaw the construction of this facility's various outbreak management systems.

343 GUILTY SPARK:

(There are two other lines if you wait around long enough: something about the cable being the installation's fail-safe and being glad someone had the foresight to cut it, and another about the Flood perishing in the planet's liquid nitrogen core.)