The Forerunner Connection

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

The Forerunner Connection

Unread post by Echelon Three »

I noticed there was no true-blue Forerunner theory thread in here, and considering all that has happened today, I figured it might come in handy should our perceptions of the Forerunner change at all.

To begin, my latest theory, taken from my posts in the B.net group forum for CompoundIntelligence (double quotes are others' responses to my theory, it kinda developed form there):
The Forerunner were certainly not ashamed of imprisoning Flood on the Halos for "study". With that in mind, imagine if you're an omniscient, super-advanced galactic race, facing off against the Flood. It would act as one of the greatest experiments in your history if you were to use an entire planet to study the development of a civilization. Enter the modern human race.

Also, this system works two ways; if the Ark is activated and all Forerunner become extinct "as planned", this experimental human race would still exist on the protected Ark planet of Earth. Bada bing, you have your race all set up. Plus, if Flood infect these humans at a later date, they won't know how to operate the Forerunner tech--because the humans don't know how to operate the Forerunner tech.
Ah, but humans do know how to operate Forerunner tech, even if it is in our subconcious. How does the MC know how to activate the energy bridge, the Silent Cartographer, and elevators, to name a few examples?
Regular ho-hum marines can't work that stuff. Trace the tech from the Master Chief--the MJOLNIR Mark V suits had a new shielding system stolen from Covenant tech. The Covenant are imitators, not innovators, so it's quite likely that they found the shield tech somewhere from the Forerunners.

I know it's a stretch, but also consider that the Elites are those with full body shields, and they are one of the oldest races in the Covenant. They even have the Forerunner glyph on the backs of their armor. The tech just simply "woke it up" inside the Master Chief I suppose.
This does beg the question though - how do the Covenant fit in? Were they out of range or were they another one of the forerunner's "projects"? I would tend towards the latter.
I would tend towards the latter as well--seeing as how the Prophet of Truth has some long harbored feelings of resentment for the "Great Journey" and knows the true intent of the Halo array/Ark (perhaps). Sinister intent...I like.
But Miranda Keys was seen as a reclaimer and think about all of the times in the games where humans went somewhere on a Halo without MC.
Perhaps she was briefed on Forerunner symbology to some extent? MC did have a smart AI with him while doodling around in Halo, it could have taken notes I suppose. She did ask for "schematics, topography, whatever" upon finding 05. Besides, most of the time Keyes is seen interacting with stuff it's with Brutes. I assume most higher races in the Covenant would be trained to understand Forerunner symbols.
How do we know the Covenant even understood the Forerunner symbols? I don't believe that they are ever shown using Forerunner technology, other than the ship at the end of Halo 2, and the elevators in the levels with the Heretics.
Good point, but remember these guys were the favored child of sorts. They've grown up around these symbols and technology. The Prophet of Regret was able to pinpoint where Delta Halo was from something in Mombasa. The Elites turned off the light bridge in the second level of Halo: CE (I think). The Covenant locked the MC out of the main shaft by using the security system in Silent Cartographer (Cortana notes she "underestimated their knowledge of Halo's security system" or something like that).
In any case, let's have this thread be here to discuss any theories that develop from new events and info during Adjutant Reflex.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Re: The Forerunner Connection

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

Everyone made the connection between Chrysopteron and Iris, but nobody made the connection between Iris and her figurative position representing the rainbow.....
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Are you saying we're all mistakenly playing a Skittles ARG?
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Maimbot 9000 wrote:Are you saying we're all mistakenly playing a Skittles ARG?
Exactly!

Not really. But there are seven colors in the rainbow, seven halos, seven different colors for every Monitor's eye, plus the inherent connection between the rainbow and the flood in the bible.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

I agree, the rainbow seems significant. And I share your frustration in getting that idea across to people. :)
kungfudude
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by kungfudude »

Sir Topham Hat wrote:
Maimbot 9000 wrote:Are you saying we're all mistakenly playing a Skittles ARG?
Exactly!

Not really. But there are seven colors in the rainbow, seven halos, seven different colors for every Monitor's eye, plus the inherent connection between the rainbow and the flood in the bible.

This almost made me weep, bravo, bravo.
Lichtonatus
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by Lichtonatus »

I didn't realise just how significant that migfht be until now.

Tha Ark as the source of the rainbow? No never mind. ths's my brain being odd. the Ark was present as the protective force against the flood. Sorry
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

There are two different Arks in the bible, the ark of the covenant and Noah's ark. The ark of the covenant was a holy relic, whereas Noah's ark was a giant ship, a place where every living creature on earth could be preserved from the flood. I'm pretty sure we're supposed to make that connection very literally.
Lichtonatus
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by Lichtonatus »

Yeah, but to which? A holy relic (as the covenant in Halo seems to think of it), or as the Ark, the protecting force (as Humans see it)

Also, very definitely a literal connnection there. Even the two arks fit nicely into the Halo story.