Names of the monitors, clue perhaps?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

XBXSplod
Data [Conditional]

Names of the monitors, clue perhaps?

Unread post by XBXSplod »

Just a thought but I feel that the acutal names given to or self assigned to themselves (not sure how they got named), actually could be a clue as to what actually hapened or what part the monitors played in the role of the first firing of the halos.

343 Guilty Spark - perhaps 343 is the one who actually started or fired the halos hence guilty and spark
Penitent Tangent - not sure of his role but discussion may clarify penitent: "feeling or expressing remorse for misdeeds" tangent: "The straight portion of material on either side of arc of a bend"?

and also if Adjutant Reflex is a monitor of an installation of somekind then maybe his name could be a clue also...
adjutant: "n officer who acts as military assistant to a more senior officer"
reflex: automatic: "without volition or conscious control"

just so you know where i got there references from i just google described it. Its in speculation so feel free to rip to shreds and I apologise if this has been mentioned before...
The_Hillmanater
Data [Undefined]

Re: Names of the monitors, clue perhaps?

Unread post by The_Hillmanater »

Reflex meaning not in concious control could be a clue that
AR would not be in control of his own actions after he was
taken over by a higher power
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Pak »

The names of the monitors are literary devices symbolizing the story within each of their games. Guilty Spark refers to the release of the flood, which is made clear by the level name. Penitent tangent refers to the tangent in the storyline which takes us away from Earth and into the Arbiters shoes.
Air Sparrow Hawk
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Air Sparrow Hawk »

Well we know that there must be at least 7 monitors, one for each Halo.

Installation 01 -> 0 = 1
Installation 02 -> 7 = 7
Installation 03 -> 7 x 7 = 49
Installation 04 -> 7 x 7 x 7 = 343 Guilty Spark
Installation 05 -> 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 = 2401 Penitent Tangent
Installation 06 -> 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 = 16807
Installation 07 -> 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 = 117649

Each of the Monitors has a number to the power of 7. The numbers & Installations match up if you use this way.

I think lead by the clues he has dropped us, we can safely assume that Adjutant Reflex is a monitor too. So he must be one of the remaining numbers. His name must be:

1 Adjutant Reflex
7 Adjutant Reflex
49 Adjutant Reflex
16807 Adjutant Reflex
117649 Adjutant Reflex

At least one of the above must be his name, I think there is probably a clue in one of the downloadable files. If we saw a number 0(something) somewhere that didn't fit, we could suspect that one. We could also figure out the installation and the location of the Installation.

We know that the Intallation must be in our solar sytem in any case as during the released we see views of Venus, Saturn and the Earth.

Any ideas? I hope I helped!
System Failure
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by System Failure »

While that holds true for halo installations number wise. You forgot that the names of the monitors also have a correlation. Guilty, and Penitent both have to do with remorse, and Spark and Tangent both have to do with something that goes off on its own, or a disturbance. Abundant Reflexes' name signifies that he is an underling of another construct. There fore he couldn't be a monitor due to the change in the name structure. He could be a shield world A.I. if each ring had a shield planet, the Halo A.I. might have precedence. Or he might just be a lower level AI would found out something, and wanted to warn us of it.
smallfry
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by smallfry »

System Failure wrote:While that holds true for halo installations number wise. You forgot that the names of the monitors also have a correlation. Guilty, and Penitent both have to do with remorse, and Spark and Tangent both have to do with something that goes off on its own, or a disturbance. Abundant Reflexes' name signifies that he is an underling of another construct. There fore he couldn't be a monitor due to the change in the name structure. He could be a shield world A.I. if each ring had a shield planet, the Halo A.I. might have precedence. Or he might just be a lower level AI would found out something, and wanted to warn us of it.
Right--also, there's a correlation between the installation number they are associated with and the letter count in each monitor's first and second names
ii otnemem ii
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by ii otnemem ii »

smallfry wrote: Right--also, there's a correlation between the installation number they are associated with and the letter count in each monitor's first and second names
I have never heard that one... and that correlation is?
TtheHedge
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by TtheHedge »

Also of interest is the fact that Penitent Tangent's number (2401) is 7 to the power of 4 whilst Guilty Spark's number (343) is 7 to the power of 3, as the number 7 is used frequently in Bungie games and mythology. Also, 2+4+0+1 = 7.

Also, one must note that there are seven unique letters in "Penitent Tangent".

In an earlier Bungie series, namely Marathon, names were often found to be sevens. A numerology grid was used as shown:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

a b c d e f g h i j

k l m n o p q r s t

u v w x y z
Penitent Tangent is thus
P e n i t e n t

5+4+3+8+9+4+3+9=45, 4+5=9

T a n g e n t

9+0+3+6+4+3+9=34, 3+4=7

9+7=16, 1+6=7.
~Taken from Halopedia
xxNaMinExx
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by xxNaMinExx »

Plus, I think Spark and Tangent were enthusiastic for 'Reclaimers' to activate the rings. It seemed that AR didn't want to 'relive that fate' again.
smallfry
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by smallfry »

ii otnemem ii wrote:
smallfry wrote: Right--also, there's a correlation between the installation number they are associated with and the letter count in each monitor's first and second names
I have never heard that one... and that correlation is?
(Installation # - 1) = a

initial number = 7^a (i.e. "guilty spark" = 343; "penitent tangent" = 2401)
letter count = [2a] [2a-1] (i.e. "guilty spark" = 6 5; "penitent tangent" = 8 7)
syllable count = [[a] [a-1] (.e. "guilty spark" = 2 1; "penitent tangent" = 3 2)

I wish I remember where I read this first, because it was part of some larger point. But, there it is.

edit: ooh, I like TtheHedge's more, though!