Africa on Delta Halo?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

DeepEcho
Data [Undefined]

Re: Africa on Delta Halo?

Unread post by DeepEcho »

endejas wrote:Also, on the edge-of-Halo part, it would need a big wall. Coupled with the rotation and off-center axis, it would need a few kilometer-high walls to contain the atmosphere, or else, it would just spill out while it spun.
That's what I used to think, but changed my opinion once I noticed this:

Approximate Width of Halo: 50 kilometers (Can't remember exact width)
Approximate Extent of Atmosphere to Create Relative 14 PSI: About 29 kilometers

The 29 kilometer extent of atmosphere is relative because the atmosphere thins in density the farther from a gravitational pull it is. This means any wall that is used to keep the atmosphere of Halo in would have to be near at least 40 kilometers high in order to keep any atmosphere from spilling out the sides. If you can imagine a 50 kilometer wide Halo with a 40 kilometer high wall on all edges, the Halo would look more like a tire seen from a distance than a 'thin' strip of Forerunner metal.

Also, note that the Halos do not spin at proper rotational speeds to induce a 1G pull on the inner surface. (While in Physics, I checked the math quite extensively, based on what information is known, to determine the following facts.) In order for a Halo to maintain its relative 25 hour day/night sequence, it must spin at a rotational speed much slower than that needed to create 1G of pull. Since the atmosphere of Halo obviously does not spill out the edges and there are no looming walls seen at the edges of Halo when on its surface, it is assumed that there are almost no walls at the edge of the Halos, rather, there is most likely some sort of complex gravitational field distorting mechanism that runs around both edges which pulls any atmosphere that might escape back onto the ring's inner surface.

In addition to the above checked facts, it is stated in Halo: The Fall of Reach that the ring must have its own artificial gravity, not induced through rotation. Here is the link: Halo Megastructures Wiki

I'm glad to see there are people who read my sometimes rampant discussions, lol. :D
endejas
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Africa on Delta Halo?

Unread post by endejas »

I see. Hmm... this does mean that there are inconsistencies with how Halo is shown to us. If, let's say 40% of the ring is a part of a thinner atmosphere environment, it would mean that the usable terrain on a Halo would be much less than we're given:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Halo-landscape.jpg

If were to go ahead and estimate that the grey strips on the width-ends of the Halo account for 10% of the said 40%, wouldn't 15% on either side be supposedly more barren, perhaps more of a tundra-like environment?