[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/session.php on line 1035: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4581: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4583: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4585: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
args.bungie.org - View topic - Shield Worlds
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Shield Worlds 
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post Shield Worlds
I had a question regarding them. Does it at any point state that there were 7 Shield Worlds, or is this rampant speculation? (I haven't read any of the novels except FoR and nothing I have read on the various wiki pages and whatnot states a number.)

Also, at what point did the SHield World on Onyx "open"? Was it when Halo 5 prepped for firing, or when it shut down. If it is the latter, I had a theory that perhaps the Shield Worlds are not to escape the effects of the Halos, but to escape should they -fail-. We know that Dr. Halsey said that it was to escape the Halos' destruction, but it is possible that she mistranslated. (When you are fighting with a sword and shield, the only reason to use the shield when blocking, is if your attack with the sword failed, on you are defending an enemy's attack.)

Just rampant speculation here.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:52 pm
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post Re: Shield Worlds

Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:37 pm
Data [Authenticated]

Bump.

Never got my answer and I'm curious.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:26 pm
Data [Authenticated]

looks like the sentinels activated when the first halo was activated. im gonna go skim through my copy of GoO to see if i an get anything on the actual shield world- i'm assuming you're refering to the dyson sphere with in.

*edit* ok, here's what i found- looks like the whole planets activation coincided with the activation of the first halo:
GoO page 311
"The room is normally inaccesible but the arming of the Halo rings triggered something within this planet" ~Doctor Halysey to Kurt

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:29 pm
Data [Authenticated]

The concept of seven Shield Worlds is, as of yet, unfounded. It's not totally out of the scope of the story what with the sevens everywhere--for every sword there is also a shield--but it's not been proven yet.

Also, as others said, when Halo Installation 04 was destroyed is when I believe the defense systems of Onyx were activated, which makes sense--if the attack fails, the only option is to try and salvage what's left with a good defense.

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:11 am
Data [Authenticated]

no, the shield world (the one we know about) activated with the halo's

Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:29 pm
Data [Authenticated]

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:08 pm
Data [Authenticated]

there's more, but mostly irrelevant

Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:09 pm
Data [Conditional]

to my knowledge the Onyx Shield World is the only one ever mentioned.

However to help answer the original question asked by Scelus regarding the existence of 7 Shield Worlds to coincide with the 7 halos...

I do not think the existance of 7 Sheild Worlds is practical based on the dimensions given by Dr Halsey about the Onyx Shield World. If her calculations are correct, the Shield World is Ginormous!

i did some rough calculations that show the inside surface area of the Shield World is over 45,000 times larger than the sun's surface area. And over 500,000,000 times the surface if the earth.

A Halo's surface area is about 0.2% the surface area of earth so it is much more believable that there are 7 Halos. But for there to be 7 Shield Worlds of the size Dr. Halsey describes... That would probably be a feat of achievement even by Forerunner standards!

Perhaps the fact the shield worlds are contained inside a slipspace field has something to do with a difference in what is a practical structure size.

sorry this doesn't answer the question but at least it puts the existence of 7 Shield Worlds into better perspective for speculation.

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:10 pm
Data [Conditional]

Unfortunately, being out of state limits my ability to answer questions.

But from what I recall, the only shield world mentioned is Onyx. So until something new comes down one of the pipes, we wont know.

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next