Shield Worlds

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Shield Worlds

Unread post by Echelon Three »

Omega Hunter 9 wrote:
Echelon Three wrote:Part of a bigger plan? :?

It is interesting, but perhaps even the Forerunners in their technology needed time to retreat behind the shield...? FTL travel in the Halo Universe sure isn't instantaneous, or humans wouldn't need cryo for long jumps.
You're only half right. The human FTL drives aren't fast enough to make cryos useless. However, the Covenant have faster ships, (said by Cortana, Halo 1), and they probably designed their ships off of that Forerunner ship or ships they have. Also, backwords engineering is never 100% effective, so the Forerunner ships probably are near instantaneous, once you think of the Forerunner's jump to Earth at the end of Halo 2.

Star Trek is so much easier.... :geek:
Playing Devil's Advocate here, but we've never actually seen a Forerunner ship jump with a reference to the amount of time that's passed; there was no date flashing when Truth warped into the Sol system, nor exactly when he warped out of Delta Halo's system either. We can estimate when he left, but until the comics or Halo 3 or something else comes along I don't think we've been given dates on when ol' 117 hitched a ride back to Earth.

I do agree that the Covenant ships are faster, there are too many examples of that to ignore; I'm not ruling out your idea, but until I see some timeline or something saying when that ship warps in, the jury is out for me. And yes, Star Trek is so much easier, haha.
KillerLemming
Data [Undefined]

Re: Shield Worlds

Unread post by KillerLemming »

I just want to say that thank you, the true function of the Ark had been bothering me, because I think there was some sort of statement, maybe in GoO, that there are three options: attack, defend, and retreat, and but there's been no clues that the Ark would take you anywhere, even if that's what the literal definition would do. But if the Shield Worlds were to protect against the Flood, while the Ark was to protect against Halo, maybe transporting the user to a more habitable region, that would seem to make sense. Sorry if this has already been stated...