100,000 earth years or local system years?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Onebitrocket
Data [Conditional]

100,000 earth years or local system years?

Unread post by Onebitrocket »

Is 343's and 2014's reference for 100,000 years based on a local time or earth time?

Has it been clarified if 100,000 years is based on a earth years?
If it is based on earth time, then how do 343 and 2014 know it's been 100,000 earth years?

I suppose if if the ark is a beacon, maybe it is transmitting some sort of time code which would adjust the time on the rings to earth time.

If it's not earth years
Take alpha halo for example, it is in orbit around Threshold. how long does it take for threshold to orbit its sun in earth days.

Where in the halo story did we first hear about it being 100,000 years scince the halos were fired? (i can't find the reference)
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Re: 100,000 earth years or local system years?

Unread post by Pak »

Onebitrocket wrote:Is 343's and 2014's reference for 100,000 years based on a local time or earth time?

If it is based on earth time, then how do 343 and 2014 know it's been 100,000 earth years?

I suppose if if the ark is a beacon, maybe it is transmitting some sort of time code which would adjust the time on the rings to earth time.

If it's not earth years
Take alpha halo for example, it is in orbit around Threshold. how long does it take for threshold to orbit its sun in earth days.

Where in the halo story did we first hear about it being 100,000 years scince the halos were fired? (i can't find the reference)
I believe Staten confirmed it in an HSP interview.
System Failure
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by System Failure »

Is 343's and 2014's reference for 100,000 years based on a local time or earth time?

If it's not earth years

That is interesting, that could change a lot. The orbit of Jupiter, the planet most similar to those that the Halos are situated near, takes 11.86 earth years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiterto accomplish. While the difference in orbit time doesn't have to be as large, even a planet orbiting at .75 times the speed of Earth will only have 75,000 local years by the time earth hits 100,000 and a lot can happen in that time.
3zz
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by 3zz »

Well, there is a timer date in the firing sequence file, and when you did the math correctly it matched up to nearly 100.000 earth years from 2552.

This confirms it is earthern years.
System Failure
Data [Authenticated]

I didnt notice that, prolly to much piff.
-SAY NO TO DRUGS ;)
Swift
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Swift »

Well, even though that's answered, It raises another question...

Why would the monitors, supposedly Forerunner AI/Tech, reference earth years when they are so far away from it? You would think that thier default would be the years from the Forerunner's home planet. (Humans on other planets still use earth years....)
Unless they knew that they were talking to humans, and knew how long our years and everything were...
System Failure
Data [Authenticated]

Well, even though that's answered, It raises another question...

Why would the monitors, supposedly Forerunner AI/Tech, reference earth years when they are so far away from it? You would think that thier default would be the years from the Forerunner's home planet. (Humans on other planets still use earth years....)
Unless they knew that they were talking to humans, and knew how long our years and everything were...
Well i was thinking maybe, if most things here on Earth follow the Fibonacci? Sequence (1,1,2,3,5,8...) and most laws on earth apply to other things, then it is highly like that the Forerunner capital planet had a period of orbit very similar or identical to that of the Earth. What you said makes sense about the FR basing their measurements on the base system. We measure distance in AU(dist from earth to sun), time in years (1 earth orbit), and star size (in terms of sol).

[spoiler]In GoO Dr Halsey said the within the Dyson sphere was 3 times as big as sol, and the diameter of the sphere was 3 Au (if these are off my memory is shaky). Anyway these are proportionate to the relation between Earth and Sol. If that is true then the time of orbit would be very close to the same if the Forerunners planet is 3 times as large as ours[/spoiler]
Kwalitee
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kwalitee »

If the Ark is on Earth and the main control center as it were for the rest of the installations, it wouldn't be strange for the Forerunner to base time relating to the installations off of Earth time.
Onebitrocket
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Onebitrocket »

So, maybe the ark transmits a signal like a time code, similar to midi clock for example, keeping all forerunner systems synchronised to the arcs time code......

Ahh just thought! when you look at the SOTA the reference stonehenge, it's theorised by some people that it is some kind of solar clock. Maybe the forerunner could have had a hand ing building stonehenge to work out the time code of earth to program into the ark, which in turm transmits the signal to all other installations.