A Monument to All of Our Sins

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

3zz
Data [Conditional]

Re: A Monument to All of Our Sins

Unread post by 3zz »

Actually it does make a lot of sense. I just dont like the idea of a forerunner invention killing them all off, I guess I want Flood origins to be a bit more spectacular.
Kiloh Ekim
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kiloh Ekim »

Thanks for the input, people. I'm liking the idea of an overmind AI (that would be the last piece of the halo puzzle) and replacing the 'halo god' but I'm thinking that what will be revealed in Halo 3 is going to be a some type of spin of this theory.
ChiliDog
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ChiliDog »

343 Guilty Spark wrote:
The installation was specifically built to study and contain the Flood. Their survival as a race was dependent upon it. I am grateful to see that some of them survived to reproduce.

Above statement also aligns itself nicely with this theory, as the survival of the forerunner was dependent on thier new "weapon" for offence and for further advancing thier race
i really don't think the forerunner wanted the flood to live. listen what 343 has to say...
Why naturally the Flood is simply too dangerous to release, and mass sterilization protocols may again need to be enacted. Of course, samples were kept here after the last catastrophic outbreak...for study. It seems... that decision may have been an error.
The installation was specifically built to study and contain the Flood. Their survival as a race was dependent upon it. I am grateful to see that some of them survived to reproduce.
The kicker is that in halo 343 never refers to those that built halo as "the forerunner" so when he says "their survival" he has to be talking about the forerunner. If he thinks that the samples being kept was an error then it makes no sense in why he would be glad to see some of them survive and reproduce.
Kiloh Ekim
Data [Conditional]

Alright, I have one more bit of evidence (if you stretch it) to support my theory. AdjutantReflex just spoke again:
Can you feel it?
Beating at the heart of the Universe.
Skin too thick to be sure.
It's alive though.
I'm certain.
What do I do with life?
OK, I'm going to take this apart and see what I can gather in relation t other ARG and my own theory.

Can you feel it?: He can sense this force. Or at least he thinks he can. Sensing Equipment? Mania?

Beating at the heart of the Universe. This is having to do with a 'life' at the heart of the universe. Now, as I see it, it doesn't necessarily have to be located in the center of the universe but be in the core essence, more or less. Also it's beating right now , so it's active and alive. (This fits into my 'overmind AI' theory)

Skin too thick to be sure. I'm clueless. I'll need some help on this one.

It's alive though. I'm certain. Simple enough. The force that he senses is, in fact, alive. Not machine. Alive. Of course this could be 'alive' as it is in AI terms, meaning sentient, as no AI wants to consider itself not alive. (The overmind is alive in some standard, as I look at it.)

What do I do with life? This follows my general thought of the AI from the start. He's the monitor of the Ark that went rampant from guilt after killing off the forerunners. He's basically saying: I don't know what to do with life but end it.
Kiloh Ekim
Data [Conditional]

Now, no one had posted on this in a long time, but maybe if I breathe some new life into it, it may grab some attention... In server 2's audio is says this:
not all life deserves a chance. Even the artifice passing as my own
After doing a definition search for artifice, I found that it means an ingenuity or cleverness. And I noticed that none of this really fits together if you don't break it apart.

--For starters the life is passing as his own, so he wouldn't be alive without it. However he still thinks it doesnt deserve a chance to live. (He is using the flood to survive but doesn't think it should be alive)
--The life is also a product of ingenuity. (They created this life source)

In my theory the forerunners created the flood as a part of their plan to never die. This ingenuity would be a relationship between a forerunner host and a flood that would maintain the forerunner's life much longer. They would have planned it to be a symbyonic one but in time they would have seen it was it was very parasitic. This soon fell out of control and the empire fell.

The last thing worth mentioning is that these are being said by a forerunner during the flood's destruction of the empire. It could be any forerunner but my guess is that this is being told by the one who made the flood. This is going off the thought that he is well educated in their physiology and had a flood maintaining his life as this was written. This means that he would have tested them on himself and been possible to be the first flood host and maybe the Gravemind.
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by uncle_trubble »

Maybe, but a physical god is entirely unneccesary and i doubt will come into play (except as possibly a twist of an already introduced entity, such as the gravemind). The biblical concepts of the sinning and resulting flood are based on reality-trying to change what we are and make ourselves 'godlike' will always result in failure, because for better or worse we are not 'godlike.'
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by uncle_trubble »

Also, I doubt that the flood were created (if they were created) in anything like their current form, especially if they were created to benefit the forerunners. (This thread is turning into a cross between Doom and Battlestar...)
Kiloh Ekim
Data [Conditional]

Yeah, I can see I was mistaken about the entire idea of the flood being created by the forerunners. To follow that up, I'm know the 'god' in this won't be physical or really a god at all (the name just fits the job).

To clarify, the 'god' is either the essence of fate itself or some ultimate force of judgement. This is the thing that sent the flood here as punishment and guided the architect of the Ark on how to build it. It will have influenced the universe from the very beginning. This omniscient character that fits perfectly with the 'Durandal survived' theory. But if not him than you could call it a real god, for the ultimate biblical connection. However the reason I though of over mind AI is because of the marathon connection theory.

As for the flood, a change is called for. Instead of the influenced accident of the forerunners making them, it will be the accident of them coming here. I mean, it's likely that it was nothing more than a large rock they floated in on, and by sheer luck it found the forerunners? Either it was a planned action by a flood intelligence in another galaxy, or this was some divine punishment on a very large scale.

Though, as time goes on, I'm falling away from halo a bit more each day, as school approaches, and I'm believing in this theory less and less. Still I'm holding on to everything that is left with my theory and simply tweaking it as things change.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

Kiloh Ekim wrote:As for the flood, a change is called for. Instead of the influenced accident of the forerunners making them, it will be the accident of them coming here. I mean, it's likely that it was nothing more than a large rock they floated in on, and by sheer luck it found the forerunners? Either it was a planned action by a flood intelligence in another galaxy, or this was some divine punishment on a very large scale.
I doubt the Forerunner would agree with the luck part :D

Perhaps the Flood had been able to build something that we could loosely define as a civilization in their home galaxy and our old friend the Gravemind had done something to get himself and others exiled? There's my bit of crazy speculation for the day :D
BaneRDX
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by BaneRDX »

Simple question, what was the original sin? Some naked chick handing a dude an apple? No nothing that simple...

The original sins was the loss of innocence through the discover of "knowledge". The paradise of ignorance can be hell for those who want to know more. And I believe the Forerunners wanted to know more and the searched all of the universe until they discovered the extra-verse.

AdjutantReflex said -
Can you feel it?
Beating at the heart of the Universe.
Skin too thick to be sure.
It's alive though.
I'm certain.
What do I do with life?

From server 4 there is mention of an artifact (beating at the heart of the Universe). What if this artifact is a gateway to the extra-verse where the flood are from. So when Gravemind said that he is a "Monument to all of our sins", he's referring to the forerunners and their quest for knowledge, aka the original sin.