A Monument to All of Our Sins

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Re: A Monument to All of Our Sins

Unread post by Lurono »

Ceantari wrote:
Lurono wrote:
XDest wrote:Are you sure about this?

Anyways, they personally kept the flood in containment even after they activated the Halos. There must be a reason to WHY.
Remember the Flood genetic memory? They absorb all of the memories of those they infect... So, perhaps the Flood absorbed something VERY important that the Forerunner wanted to preserve?

Well, having attacked so many humans and Covenant, (one can assume) by now Gravemind knows the location of Earth and the Covenant homeword...
That, plus his interaction with Cortana, I would bet that he knows more than just locations ;)
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

That, plus his interaction with Cortana, I would bet that he knows more than just locations
This brings everyone to the question that everyone's been asking since H3 was first announced at E3. Has Cortana cracked?
The most recent E3 suggested breifly that this might be the case, but because we could not hear the dialogue of the cutscene it was taken from, it could easily mean something else in context.
Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Lurono »

thereIwasn't wrote:
That, plus his interaction with Cortana, I would bet that he knows more than just locations
This brings everyone to the question that everyone's been asking since H3 was first announced at E3. Has Cortana cracked?
The most recent E3 suggested breifly that this might be the case, but because we could not hear the dialogue of the cutscene it was taken from, it could easily mean something else in context.
It always comes down to context, huh? :D :P
hinarf
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by hinarf »

If john was sent by god, and god created the flood, then why must the flood try to kill john?
thereIwasn't
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by thereIwasn't »

hinarf wrote:If john was sent by god, and god created the flood, then why must the flood try to kill john?
John was sent by Bungie
The flood were sent by Bungie.
What you have is the result of two different plans to take over the world for Bungie meeting the the same time: cooness vs sheer numbers.
In my book, coolness is winning thus far, but Halo 3 seems to be taking us by both, coolness, and the numbers.
nephilim
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by nephilim »

Are you sure about this?

Anyways, they personally kept the flood in containment even after they activated the Halos. There must be a reason to WHY.
CDC scientists keep the smallpox virus on ice. I have heard two arguments for doing so:

1) Moral grounds-preventing the extinction of a species.
2) Just in case it needs to be researched further (like an outbreak of a similar, but different virus).
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Echelon Three »

nephilim wrote:
Are you sure about this?

CDC scientists keep the smallpox virus on ice. I have heard two arguments for doing so:

2) Just in case it needs to be researched further (like an outbreak of a similar, but different virus).
Well, we know from the Forerunners that "not all life deserves a chance", so they may not have stored the Flood for moral reasons. Did they expect that they could control past strains of the Flood? Or that new strains would develop?
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Dalthanas »

Echelon Three wrote:Well, we know from the Forerunners that "not all life deserves a chance", so they may not have stored the Flood for moral reasons. Did they expect that they could control past strains of the Flood? Or that new strains would develop?
Well, from the latest server video, we know that the Flood are extragalactic, and the transmission ends with two questions: "Where did it come from?" "And why did it come here?"
Another reasonable question would be: "Is there more where it came from?"

Since the only final solution to the Flood the Forerunners could come up with was the annihilation of all life of sufficient biomass within the range of the array, it seems reasonable that there was a feeling that while the solution was effective, it was less than ideal. Keeping the flood on ice for future study makes sense, in case they fire the Halo's and more come in from wherever they came from in the first place (barring what actually happened, in that the study strains were released, which it would seem wasn't exactly planned).
Twigge
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Twigge »

nephilim wrote:CDC scientists keep the smallpox virus on ice. I have heard two arguments for doing so:

Well originally, it was kept for study throughout the time it was being eradicated from the global population. Near the end, the World Health Organization suggested the destruction of samples in lower security labs to prevent possible outbreak. Once the virus was wiped out except for in those samples, the general consensus was to keep a few samples in high security labs for continued study. Since then, there has been a debate on whether those last samples should be destroyed, which is where those those arguments really come into play.

As for the Forerunners keeping a 'sample' of the Flood, I would have a hard time believing it was argument 1. They knew there were more Flood ("they have done this before, elsewhere"). I think they had them there for study before the activation of the Halos, and consciously left them there for future study by other Forerunners (in case they are still around after all) or more likely someone else, as a head start or something. They could have also just forgotten they were there, though I doubt it.
Kiloh Ekim
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kiloh Ekim »

Alright, I started his theory, so I guess I might as well answer as much as I can (I know as much about the flood as everyone else does).

The Library: The library holds a specific purpose in the forerunners grand plan. They have mass amounts of information about previous species and sciences and have recently planned to wipe it all out. What would you do before you have to wipe your computer because it gets a virus? You back it up. And running the risk that the virus will harm the hardware before it dies out, you have to group your items in specific places for later so it is less likely that they will be found. So, hide the full library of knowledge, with the research facilities, on the super weapon for when you come back to get it later.

The things in blue liquid are probably sperm and egg cells for every species on the forerunner's universe kept on ice. Cells are not sentient and lack sufficient bio-mass to contain flood so if you keep species like that you evoke one of the few loopholes in the halos. (one sperm and one egg: two of every animal; this implies that the halos are like half of the Ark and contain the animals god would have saved, biblically.) Each version would normally have it's own container, but the flood would be different. The forerunners would take special interest in them, being that they don't know how they reproduce and, to find how to kill them would save their race. So this logically leads to the forerunners leaving infection forms and carrier forms on ice en masse for the next race to find a way to wipe them out in case there are more. (Or possibly it is for the next race to find the immortality secret that they believed the flood held. See below and first post.) Then, when the covenant saw these things in the blue liquid (the only life forms there) they would bust them out to take a better look and then be consumed.

God: Not a popular idea, I know, but possibly it would have seemed to them like it does to us. Like coincidence. Or, for the fans of the Durandal lives theory, it could be him, driving the universe to it's final breath. Or, as it's been said, an over mind; a physical god behind a vial that spoke to the forerunners and will speak in halo 3.

Call it the final piece of the puzzle in the halo universe. If Bungie wants, they can make this last piece a divine automatically-fit-the-hale one rather then a simple plot ending.

Ultimate Knowledge: Here was something I mentioned in a different post but someone has brought it back up. What if the forerunners were playing god? They create a perfect trap in the halos: stumble upon them, and be forced to activate the ring you are on to wipe out everything or simply let the flood wipe out everything. Then another race evolves and when they get slip space, they wipe everything out again. Rinse repeat.

It's almost too perfect, if everything followed according to plan, no race would get past a certain point in technological evolution. The theory follows as thus: are the forerunners playing God and are wiping everything out (including themselves) so that no one can do something they have done? What if they saw the universe in it's wholeness? The grand design. The purpose. Perhaps it was just simpler to let everything live like children after that. Ignorant and bliss. They saw the universe and there was nothing left for them. That dying would be inherently better than living with that knowledge.

Flood Origins and the pre-activation events: Bungie just tore a massive hole in the plot: flood are extra-galacular, who knew? Anyway it anyone's guess but I think Bungie it gonna use that picture from server four. Remember "unknown"?

OK, using the God theory:

There is one forerunner (I'm going to call him "Architect" because he will have later created the shield world system) who the god is constantly talking to. He's speaking to him of him of the sins the forerunners are committing (see original post) and tells his of the coming flood. People assume he is crazy and continue their search for immortality by working with stasis and combing the galaxy for clues for immortality and ways to become Gods.

God becomes infuriated and decides to wipe the galaxy clean of life and begins to tell (when I say "tell" I generally mean "put ideas in his head" in a non-forceful way) Architect how to build the halos and what propose they serve. Using the sentinels Noah, builds the Ark and Halo system by himself or, at least, designs it and shows it to the leader when the flood show themselves.

When the forerunners show no sign of change, god rips a hole in two dimensions (the second one he may have just created) and releases the flood from the infested one to the halo universe. This abnormality; the source of the flood is what is pictured in unknown. The main evidence that supports this is the content of the server. It talks about the flood origins and how it must be cross-galactic (they would have had no reason to think cross-dimensional since they hadn't even broke the dimensions themselves, they would have thought it's impossible.) With that in mind turn your attention to the name. "unknown" seems odd for a race that would have likely given at least codes to every planet out there. To not even number it, that picture must have been of something that even the forerunners didn't have a clue about. Combine the name of the picture and the fact the picture was bundled in that server you can draw a reasonable conclusion.

The forerunners study the flood biology and capture a few, believing that they hold, at long last, the key to immortality. The flood mind lies for a while and pretends to be non-sentient or simply pretends to come in peace like he does with MC and Arby on Delta halo, and begins by attacking the scientists and taking over those worlds. He leaves a few (including the one he resided in) free from attack and blissfully unaware of the fact they had control of the flood's weakness in their grips. He takes down more worlds before the forerunners find "his measure" (server three) and confront him. He then drops the ruse and begins full take over from multiple planets at once. The flood didn't just sweep from one area. The attacked from within the forerunner empire on all sides. You know the story from there. A planet falls every sixteen hours. Architect takes his family inside within the ark or Onyx and leaves either his AI or a volunteer to so pull the trigger.

I hope this fills in all the gaps, I'll try to explain more if something doesn't match up later.

-----
Scratch that part about me trying to explain more. My Freshman year is starting tomorrow (yes, freshmen high school and yes, I'm only 14) and I have a feeling I'm only going to be on this sparsely, if at all, until I find my self situated in my MUCH bigger school. That could take a while and even then homework may be a problem. Regardless I'll follow Iris as much as possible as time permits and speculate as much as I can along the way. ---Ekim, Signing out.
Last edited by Kiloh Ekim on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.