A Monument to All of Our Sins

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Lurono
Data [Authenticated]

Re: A Monument to All of Our Sins

Unread post by Lurono »

Bolded and underlined the parts I liked/found interesting.
Kiloh Ekim wrote:The Library: The library holds a specific purpose in the forerunners grand plan. They have mass amounts of information about previous species and sciences and have recently planned to wipe it all out. What would you do before you have to wipe your computer because it gets a virus? You back it up. And running the risk that the virus will harm the hardware before it dies out, you have to group your items in specific places for later so it is less likely that they will be found. So, hide the full library of knowledge, with the research facilities, on the super weapon for when you come back to get it later.

The things in blue liquid are probably sperm and egg cells for every species on the forerunner's universe kept on ice. Cells are not sentient and lack sufficient bio-mass to contain flood so if you keep species like that you evoke one of the few loopholes in the halos. (one sperm and one egg: two of every animal; this implies that the halos are like half of the Ark and contain the animals god would have saved, biblically.) Each version would normally have it's own container, but the flood would be different. The forerunners would take special interest in them, being that they don't know how they reproduce and, to find how to kill them would save their race. So this logically leads to the forerunners leaving infection forms and carrier forms on ice en masse for the next race to find a way to wipe them out in case there are more. (Or possibly it is for the next race to find the immortality secret that they believed the flood held. See below and first post.) Then, when the covenant saw these things in the blue liquid (the only life forms there) they would bust them out to take a better look and then be consumed.
I like the way you worded the sperm and egg part as two of every animal. I've never thought about it like that myself and have never seen anyone else say it like that either. To me, the library just seems like mostly wasted space, similar to the wasted space in Covenant ships. Most of the computer technology that the Forerunner made is likely to be small (much like how our computers keep getting smaller and smaller), and it just seems like that had a preference for grand architecture. I think the genetic material for Earth is held in the Ark, while the material for other planets (elites, grunts, etc.) is held in a similar structure on each of their respective planets (though that structure would lack the "remote control" feature that ours has).
Kiloh Ekim wrote:Ultimate Knowledge: Here was something I mentioned in a different post but someone has brought it back up. What if the forerunners were playing god? They create a perfect trap in the halos: stumble upon them, and be forced to activate the ring you are on to wipe out everything or simply let the flood wipe out everything. Then another race evolves and when they get slip space, they wipe everything out again. Rinse repeat.

It's almost too perfect, if everything followed according to plan, no race would get past a certain point in technological evolution. The theory follows as thus: are the forerunners playing God and are wiping everything out (including themselves) so that no one can do something they have done? What if they saw the universe in it's wholeness? The grand design. The purpose. Perhaps it was just simpler to let everything live like children after that. Ignorant and bliss. They saw the universe and there was nothing left for them. That dying would be inherently better than living with that knowledge.
I actually like this one too! The idea of this process being intentional makes enough sense (and the strange behaviour of monitors like 343GS can simply be attributed to some form of rampancy). Of course, whatever secret they learned will never be told to us since that would, in turn, make us want to die now (picture newspaper headline "Mass suicide of Halo fans after discovery of meaning of life"), which defeats the feeling of the game :D Okay, maybe I got out there a little, but still. If this theory is correct, then we sure screwed up what with the destroying a Halo and all :P
Kiloh Ekim
Data [Conditional]

Re: A Monument to All of Our Sins

Unread post by Kiloh Ekim »

Lurono wrote:Bolded and underlined the parts I liked/found interesting.
Kiloh Ekim wrote:Ultimate Knowledge: Here was something I mentioned in a different post but someone has brought it back up. What if the forerunners were playing god? They create a perfect trap in the halos: stumble upon them, and be forced to activate the ring you are on to wipe out everything or simply let the flood wipe out everything. Then another race evolves and when they get slip space, they wipe everything out again. Rinse repeat.

It's almost too perfect, if everything followed according to plan, no race would get past a certain point in technological evolution. The theory follows as thus: are the forerunners playing God and are wiping everything out (including themselves) so that no one can do something they have done? What if they saw the universe in it's wholeness? The grand design. The purpose. Perhaps it was just simpler to let everything live like children after that. Ignorant and bliss. They saw the universe and there was nothing left for them. That dying would be inherently better than living with that knowledge.
I actually like this one too! The idea of this process being intentional makes enough sense (and the strange behaviour of monitors like 343GS can simply be attributed to some form of rampancy). Of course, whatever secret they learned will never be told to us since that would, in turn, make us want to die now (picture newspaper headline "Mass suicide of Halo fans after discovery of meaning of life"), which defeats the feeling of the game :D Okay, maybe I got out there a little, but still. If this theory is correct, then we sure screwed up what with the destroying a Halo and all :P
Hey, thanks. I just gotta add one more thing onto that particular topic. The theory was originally so convincing because it was devised during the days before the flood were found out to be non-forerunner created. When this had gone unannounced then it would be easy to assume that the forerunners were playing god with all this after-grave control. However now, only if, the powers that instigated the Halo activation (the forerunner higher ups) had much more control than we thought and the people talking in the servers are simply left out of the grander plan and the ultimate discovery, (then would be rightly afraid) could this still be viable. I decide to leave it in there just in case of a completely mad discovery in halo 3 that would confirm this.