Iris and Macbeth?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

writer87
Data [Authenticated]

Iris and Macbeth?

Unread post by writer87 »

Just hear me out on this. Its known that Macbeth has been referenced a couple of times in this ARG so far. I have read Macbeth back in high school and even played the part of the ghost of banquo.

Now this is where i get hypothetical. The character of Banquo really interest me.
After predicting that Macbeth will be king, the witches predict that Banquo will never himself be king, but will beget a line of kings (the Stuart family of Scottish and English kings). Later, disturbed that Banquo's descendants and not his own will rule Scotland, Macbeth sends murderers to kill Banquo and his son Fleance. However, Fleance escapes. The ghost of Banquo then returns to haunt Macbeth at the banquet in Act Three, Scene Four.
I am theroizing that the ghost of banquo could be AR or someone else in the halo lore. AR has been killed (in essence) as was banquo. Both killed out of fear presumably. Fear of taking over, in a manner of speaking. Could the Ghost of Banquo see an appreance in this ARG?

Thoughts, comments, flammers, GO!
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Re: Iris and Macbeth?

Unread post by Avateur »

And AR was in that Brute Ghostbusters group...
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Dalthanas »

I think the references to Macbeth are more allegorical as opposed literal in the sense that AR or any other players in this game would fit the role of a Shakespearian character in the manner I think you're talking about.

Consider too, that in the posts just before AR was taken over he said "By the pricking of my thumbs" (finished: Something wicked this way comes). This is a line spoken by one of the hags when Macbeth goes to visit them and conjure the apparations to tell his future. If Bungie intended AR to fit a role like Banquo I don't think they'd have him quoting other characters.

The references to Macbeth are many, and there will probably be more to come, but I think they are more thematic than anything.

Bungie has also used Biblical references in several places (the reference (that I believe has been interpreted correctly) in the picture of the warthog pointing the Genesis and Noah and his sons boarding the Ark against the Flood. They seem to do well with incorporating literary allusion.
edcalaban
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by edcalaban »

What about this post from AdjutantReflex:
The stain on his hands will not wash.
That damned spot as old as rock and time.
What has he learned in Eon’s slumber?
I doubt it’s mercy or sorrow.
I am diminished.
Outranked.
Remember the scene in MacBeth with "out, out damn spot" when Lady MacBeth is furiously washing her hands to get rid of the non-existent blood spot from the murder?
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Dalthanas »

edcalaban wrote: Remember the scene in MacBeth with "out, out damn spot" when Lady MacBeth is furiously washing her hands to get rid of the non-existent blood spot from the murder?
Beaten like a horse over here. http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/view ... hp?t=19687
writer87
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by writer87 »

Dalthanas wrote:
edcalaban wrote: Remember the scene in MacBeth with "out, out damn spot" when Lady MacBeth is furiously washing her hands to get rid of the non-existent blood spot from the murder?
Beaten like a horse over here. http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/view ... hp?t=19687
yea if you look at the second link in the FIRST post, its the same link. gg