Need Help With Halo Firing Logic

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

johny 5
Data [Conditional]

Need Help With Halo Firing Logic

Unread post by johny 5 »

So what it is right?

The Halos were fired 100,000 years ago. When the Halos fire, all sentient life in the galaxy is exterminated. Except for the shield worlds.

Humans were around 100,000 years ago, and still are. Humans were not exterminated.

Therefore, Humans were not in the galaxy that got Halofied, or Earth is a Shield world.

Additionally, the Covenant races were not in the galaxy that got Halofied, or they were on Shield worlds as well, and therefore in league with the Forerunners.

-----

I'm not that well versed in the Lore, but from what I've been able to research, that's about the gyst of it.

Questions:

Did the Halos misfire? Was the galaxy not extinguished? Did the Forerunners flee to our galaxy to start anew? Did the Forerunners create human life? Am I dumb?
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Need Help With Halo Firing Logic

Unread post by Pak »

The humans are easy to explain. The 'Cradle of Life' in Kenya is the Ark, and a portion of the human population was protected within. Their migration from the ark is what has generated modern theories that humanity originated in Kenya. As for the Covenant, they must have been preserved in similar manner, or very rapidly evolved.
endejas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by endejas »

In the Halo 2 Limited Edition DVD, there was mention of a huge war between the Prophets and Elites. This war was stopped when they uncovered a Forerunner object on their homeworld. I'd say that that they were also living on a Shield World.

The same could be said about the other species. The Covenant have destroyed species, but they've also extended membership to some. I'm thinking that the other Covenant client-species are also from Shield Worlds. If I were the Forerunner, I would've tried to save as many populations as possible.
johny 5
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by johny 5 »

The humans are easy to explain. The 'Cradle of Life' in Kenya is the Ark, and a portion of the human population was protected within. Their migration from the ark is what has generated modern theories that humanity originated in Kenya. As for the Covenant, they must have been preserved in similar manner, or very rapidly evolved.
That doesn't work, because then ALL sentient life on Earth would have to come from Kenya. Your dog is sentient. Koala bears are sentient.

So again I say that either A) Earth is a shield world constructed by the Forerunners, or B) The original firing of the Halos happened in another galaxy.

I don't like either of those theories, though.
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Pak »

johny 5 wrote:
That doesn't work, because then ALL sentient life on Earth would have to come from Kenya. Your dog is sentient. Koala bears are sentient.

So again I say that either A) Earth is a shield world constructed by the Forerunners, or B) The original firing of the Halos happened in another galaxy.

I don't like either of those theories, though.
Then what is the point of feeding us the comic and the correlation with Africa? Neither of those alternative theories holds any water if I am not mistaken. Onyx was a shield world, but wasn't the dyson sphere significantly smaller than an entire planet? And the original firing of the halos happened in our galaxy, and Earth was in the blast radius, there is no evidence what so ever to the contrary. The simple fact is that Bungie has spoonfed us the solution, humanity survived in the Ark. Staten alluded it and the comic nearly flatout proves it.
ChiliDog
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ChiliDog »

Onyx was a shield world, but wasn't the dyson sphere significantly smaller than an entire planet?
What do you mean smaller? smaller as in viewed from outside the sphere, or from inside?
ACEfanatic02
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ACEfanatic02 »

Pak wrote:Onyx was a shield world, but wasn't the dyson sphere significantly smaller than an entire planet?
Umm... the sphere is what's at the far end of the Slipspace gate on Onyx.

A Dyson Sphere encircles a small star at about 1 AU. It would be much, much, much larger than any planet. (Think along the lines of several orders of magnitude more surface area than Earth.)

-ACE
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Pak »

ACEfanatic02 wrote:
Pak wrote:Onyx was a shield world, but wasn't the dyson sphere significantly smaller than an entire planet?
Umm... the sphere is what's at the far end of the Slipspace gate on Onyx.

A Dyson Sphere encircles a small star at about 1 AU. It would be much, much, much larger than any planet. (Think along the lines of several orders of magnitude more surface area than Earth.)

-ACE
Okay, I haven't read that particular book so I was running off of hearsay.
System Failure
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by System Failure »

You dont have to read the book to find that outWiki got you here. A Dyson sphere is a hypothetical "mega structure" designed to capture all of a star energy out put. To have Earth like characteristics on the inner surface of the sphere, its radius would be 1Au away from the star, approximately the distance that earth is from our sun. I dont know how bis that is but light travels 3.0 x 10^6 m/s and it take light 8 minutes to reach earth, so thats huge.
Phydaux
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Phydaux »

System Failure wrote:
You dont have to read the book to find that outWiki got you here. A Dyson sphere is a hypothetical "mega structure" designed to capture all of a star energy out put. To have Earth like characteristics on the inner surface of the sphere, its radius would be 1Au away from the star, approximately the distance that earth is from our sun. I dont know how bis that is but light travels 3.0 x 10^6 m/s and it take light 8 minutes to reach earth, so thats huge.
A Dyson sphere with a radius of 1AU would have a surface area of:
2.81229865 × 10^17 km^2 (1.08583458 × 10^17 miles^2)
The surface area of Earth is: 510,065,600 km^2 (196 937 429 miles^2)
So that would mean the Dyson sphere has 551,360,188 times the surface area of Earth.

If my maths is correct. ;)