The forerunners...stupid?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Mosex
Data [Undefined]

The forerunners...stupid?

Unread post by Mosex »

Ok, I've just ordered the books. So im yet to have gotten all the specific details on what the hell is going on. However...My mind is open. So I am willing to listen to other peoples theories.

But...

In retrospect to everything I have seen and heard thoughout the Halo universe. I have one question...

Why, did the forerunners put so much effort into building a weapon that would wipe out the Flood's resources instead of putting a bit more thought into creating a weapon that would wipe out the parasite itself?...Hence when activiated, it would not have wiped them out and would not threaten us to use it against them in order to stop them.

Makes a bit more sense. But...I as i said earlier. I haven't read everything there is to read.So my question could prove to be very stupid in the eyes of others who have a tad bit more knowledge on the subject.

Let me know if this is the case.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Re: The forerunners...stupid?

Unread post by MulletedOne »

Actually in Halo 2 it is apparent that the Halos are older than the flood problem. They were just refitted with the firing mechanisms and subsequently fired after "exhausting every other strategic option"
Ragashingo
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ragashingo »

I know the gas mining station was refitted to study the flood, but the Halos?
Mosex
Data [Undefined]

The original purpose of the rings?

Unread post by Mosex »

MulletedOne,

If that is the case. Then for what original purpose were the rings intended for?
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

That's unknown at this point. I've always figured that the Halos were built for Flood issues, even after seeing all of the "ancient" stuff on Halo Installation 05. Regardless, it's unknown. Personally, I think the Forerunners enjoyed playing God and thought it would be fun to build their own planets and rings and infectious creatures that swarm the universe taking out anything of sufficient bio-mass! I mean, who wouldn't want their own destructive breed of doom-bringers? I know I sure would! :D
Kwalitee
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kwalitee »

My guess would be that they did not have time to develop a counter specifically for the Flood. Perhaps they had technology that would eliminate every other being in the galaxy, but the Flood was somehow different. Or perhaps in order to completely eliminate the Flood threat, they had to eliminate Gravemind, but they couldn't reach him since he was actually inside one of the Halos so they had to try to starve him to death. The Forerunner's attempts to reach and destroy Gravemind could have been some of the thousands of other plans that were tried and failed.
Scelus
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Scelus »

Seems a lot of it is a issue of hubris with The Forerunners. They get pushed to the point where they have to wipe out all forms of life and reseed the galaxy and whatnot, yet they believe they may be able to control the Flood in the future, after they have restructured themselves?

Scientists...
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Moving this to Speculation...
Plasmoe
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Plasmoe »

Kwalitee wrote: Or perhaps in order to completely eliminate the Flood threat, they had to eliminate Gravemind, but they couldn't reach him since he was actually inside one of the Halos so they had to try to starve him to death. The Forerunner's attempts to reach and destroy Gravemind could have been some of the thousands of other plans that were tried and failed.
No, the Forerunners built the Halos so they could have easily destroyed Installation 05, along with Gravemind if he was the problem.

In my opinion the Flood infestation 100,000 years ago was a lot worse than imagined. I think the flood got into every nook & cranny of civilization and firing the Halo's was a last resort.

BUT, I do not think the Forerunners were killed in the activation of the Halos. I think they simply found a new home, in some other universe or in slipspace.
Scelus
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Scelus »

But that brings up the question of the Shield Worlds. Why build them if you weren't going to use them? I have a feeling that they were en route when something bad happened. perhaps infestations on the transports, and they had no choice but to kill themselves. And perhaps a select few who went earlier, to the further ones managed to escape.