The forerunners...stupid?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Ross
Data [Conditional]

Re: The forerunners...stupid?

Unread post by Ross »

Spartan Erik wrote:
endejas wrote:Here's an idea:

So we know that the Flood absorb the intelligence and memories of those infected from Halo: The Flood, and that they can be turned into a collective intelligence (Keyes Blob, Gravemind).
Well then, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that Gravemind may be an infected forerunner? :o
Well duh :P If he is as old as he says he is then he would have to have some forerunner inside him. Dosn't mean he dose though.

Gavemind could be younger but have the genetic memory from the samples of flood saved before halo was fired.
Roaringram
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Roaringram »

ok so maybe i'm just retarded, but how to we know gravemind is actually flood? some part of me says he's not, at least not the actual flood we know.
Pak
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Pak »

Roaringram wrote:ok so maybe i'm just retarded, but how to we know gravemind is actually flood? some part of me says he's not, at least not the actual flood we know.
Halo3.com says he is flood.
endejas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by endejas »

he is also able to control the Flood. Seems whichever highest brain form is available is the leader. and when none is available, they just kick into automatic. kill, infect, spread.
xxNaMinExx
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by xxNaMinExx »

Pak wrote:
Roaringram wrote:ok so maybe i'm just retarded, but how to we know gravemind is actually flood? some part of me says he's not, at least not the actual flood we know.
Halo3.com says he is flood.
That means he would lose his food too if someone fires the rings.
ACEfanatic02
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by ACEfanatic02 »

Scelus wrote:But that brings up the question of the Shield Worlds. Why build them if you weren't going to use them? I have a feeling that they were en route when something bad happened. perhaps infestations on the transports, and they had no choice but to kill themselves. And perhaps a select few who went earlier, to the further ones managed to escape.
Who says they didn't use them?

Certainly, they aren't there now, but would you hang out for a hundred thousand years if the Flood have supposedly starved to death?

-ACE
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

ACEfanatic02 wrote:
Scelus wrote:Who says they didn't use them?
Guilty Spark does.
obnoxious, smarmy monitor wrote:After exhausting every other strategic option, my creators activated the rings. They, and all additional sentient life in three radii of the galactic center, died ...as planned.
Roaringram
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Roaringram »

well there's some evidence that they did use them, like in the log given by server05, one of the things talking said .1823 of the fleet is safe (something like that) ...
System Failure
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by System Failure »

Here's an idea:

So we know that the Flood absorb the intelligence and memories of those infected from Halo: The Flood, and that they can be turned into a collective intelligence (Keyes Blob, Gravemind).

So imagine the Forerunner trying a plan against the Flood. One fallen soldier would mean the element of surprise is gone; their entire plan is foiled. It's obvious the Flood spread much faster than can be contained, so imagine that the Flood has spread to many worlds, enslaving entire species. Each of those infected seek out others to infect. Sure the Forerunner try to stop them, but they're spreading much, much faster than they can contain them, even with other populations joining the fight against the Flood.

The Flood could have captured Forerunner ships and gone and created their own ships. We all know they can repair ships (opening of Keyes, on Halo), so it wouldn't be that much of a jump to think that a Forerunner could have been infected and given the Flood intelligence the knowledge on how to build a ship, how to best exploit Forerunner weaknesses, where the most populations and viable Flood hosts are, and again, their secret plans.

So after the Halos were built to look for a way to fight the Flood and stop its spread, the only conclusion is that the Flood would starve if no more food was present. Instead of glassing worlds one by one and leaving the planet uninhabitable, and attempting to stop the Flood by conventional means, they decide to build this weapon of last resort.

They're fighting a losing battle. The Flood is spreading much faster through the galaxy than the Forerunner can shoot down their ships. With every fallen species, new intelligence and technology is absorbed into the Flood intelligence. There are still a few civilizations left out of the way of the Flood infestation (Earth, Onyx), so they build devices to protect them from the Halo pulse.

They're thinking is that all civilizations will fall to the Flood, and after that, the Flood will starve. The Forerunner know that the entire galaxy could be devoid of life before they stop the Flood (and if). After the Flood finds no more populations, it will then starve. Leaving the galaxy without life, worlds uninhabitable, destruction on a galactic scale. It's this reasoning the Forerunner use. They might as well stop the destruction and infestation, save the civilizations that they can (Covenant, Humanity), and let life restart.
I completely agree with Endejas. Saying the Forunners didnt think everything out is purely assumption. We really dont know the extent of the Forunners Empire. It may have spread the span of several galaxies, and the Milly Way is just one that they lost to the Flood. They were outnumbered an were losing an basically took them an the Flood out. There have been many instances in the novels where Human controlled vessels out gunned or heavily damaged would self destruct to take Covenant ships with them. If you say the Forunners had alternative options, then you also probably think that the plight of a crippled Human vessel has an alternative to self-destruction, but in both cases the fight is to the death, and if you're going to die chances are you'll want to take any enemy you can with you.
System Failure
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by System Failure »

Oh before i forget my rantings:
Suppose we back the scale out a little bit, and view the Forerunners Empire one that spans galaxy's. Then this war between flood and Forerunner might be on a scale with almost unheard of figures, with at least trillions of combatants on either side. Now if you control several galaxies, each containing millions of star systems, it is a lot of area to cover. Suppose the forerunner left a large force to secure the galaxy at all costs, but told them to eradicate everything if they could hold the flood off. So basically the Milky Way is important enough to fanatically defend ( Reach) and it loss will be hard to take, but it wont end the Forerunners capability to combat the flood. (Humans - Earth = Dead). Yeah so the Flood an d Forerunner do battle. They abandon the galaxy , and anyone who has the slightest possibility of infection stays behind, to keep the Flood in system while the Halo rings are activated. They tell the monitors, when the war allows them, they will send in forces to retake the galaxy, and therefore they will be the reclaimers.