The forerunners...stupid?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Mosex
Data [Undefined]

Re: The forerunners...stupid?

Unread post by Mosex »

Well, my question still remains unanswered, and i think it is definately one of the more important questions in the Halo universe. The expectations of the Forerunners depend on the answer to this question. And hence the creation of Halo itself. Great Creation or Great Fault?

Only time will tell...
Drawingman818
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Drawingman818 »

As other people have said, they probably did try.
"know that a thousand other plans were tried and failed"

However, you're onto something when you say that something went wrong. There was a post in the server text discussion that said something like
D-com, if he was in fact the reclaimer, was alone in activating the Halos and did not have the consent from the other Forerunners.

On the subject of why the Halos didn't destroy the humans, I believe that Earth just isn't in Halo's range. It's probably in a different galaxy.
Plasmoe
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Plasmoe »

Mosex wrote:I thought there was only 3 books?

Which is the forth? And why oh why didnt that cow from the book store tell me there were 4 instead of 3?

Now there is a question. Speculate all you want. But only she knows the answer! And i will get it from her!
1. Fall of Reach
2. The Flood
3. First Strike
4. Ghosts of Onyx

I got mine from Amazon.com or Barnes & Nobel.
endejas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by endejas »

Here's an idea:

So we know that the Flood absorb the intelligence and memories of those infected from Halo: The Flood, and that they can be turned into a collective intelligence (Keyes Blob, Gravemind).

So imagine the Forerunner trying a plan against the Flood. One fallen soldier would mean the element of surprise is gone; their entire plan is foiled. It's obvious the Flood spread much faster than can be contained, so imagine that the Flood has spread to many worlds, enslaving entire species. Each of those infected seek out others to infect. Sure the Forerunner try to stop them, but they're spreading much, much faster than they can contain them, even with other populations joining the fight against the Flood.

The Flood could have captured Forerunner ships and gone and created their own ships. We all know they can repair ships (opening of Keyes, on Halo), so it wouldn't be that much of a jump to think that a Forerunner could have been infected and given the Flood intelligence the knowledge on how to build a ship, how to best exploit Forerunner weaknesses, where the most populations and viable Flood hosts are, and again, their secret plans.

So after the Halos were built to look for a way to fight the Flood and stop its spread, the only conclusion is that the Flood would starve if no more food was present. Instead of glassing worlds one by one and leaving the planet uninhabitable, and attempting to stop the Flood by conventional means, they decide to build this weapon of last resort.

They're fighting a losing battle. The Flood is spreading much faster through the galaxy than the Forerunner can shoot down their ships. With every fallen species, new intelligence and technology is absorbed into the Flood intelligence. There are still a few civilizations left out of the way of the Flood infestation (Earth, Onyx), so they build devices to protect them from the Halo pulse.

They're thinking is that all civilizations will fall to the Flood, and after that, the Flood will starve. The Forerunner know that the entire galaxy could be devoid of life before they stop the Flood (and if). After the Flood finds no more populations, it will then starve. Leaving the galaxy without life, worlds uninhabitable, destruction on a galactic scale. It's this reasoning the Forerunner use. They might as well stop the destruction and infestation, save the civilizations that they can (Covenant, Humanity), and let life restart.
Mosex
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Mosex »

endejas,

All very very good assumptions.

And i just realised. After you saying that the flood absorb information. At the end of Halo 2. Gravemind is there with Cortana, who ultimately knows EVERYTHING about the human species.

This can't be good...
jayguy01
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by jayguy01 »

I've got a new question. If the halos were set off and all life was eradicated from the galaxy, who and what kept the flood alive on the halo. If the flood is like a virus that can only survive if it keeps reproducing then how could it survive on halo seeing as there was no sentient life with sufficient biomass there? This leads to a second question, do the flood eat food, and can they live forever?
shamanistcrage
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by shamanistcrage »

Plasmoe wrote:
Mosex wrote:I thought there was only 3 books?

Which is the forth? And why oh why didnt that cow from the book store tell me there were 4 instead of 3?

Now there is a question. Speculate all you want. But only she knows the answer! And i will get it from her!
1. Fall of Reach
2. The Flood
3. First Strike
4. Ghosts of Onyx

I got mine from Amazon.com or Barnes & Nobel.
i got mine at B&N $25 for the lot.
xxNaMinExx
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by xxNaMinExx »

Maybe they were scared that the Flood was just indestructible if there is enough food for them. But that would go for this thread, that they(Forerunners) were stupid.
Phydaux
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Phydaux »

endejas wrote:Here's an idea:

So we know that the Flood absorb the intelligence and memories of those infected from Halo: The Flood, and that they can be turned into a collective intelligence (Keyes Blob, Gravemind).

So imagine the Forerunner trying a plan against the Flood. One fallen soldier would mean the element of surprise is gone; their entire plan is foiled. It's obvious the Flood spread much faster than can be contained, so imagine that the Flood has spread to many worlds, enslaving entire species. Each of those infected seek out others to infect. Sure the Forerunner try to stop them, but they're spreading much, much faster than they can contain them, even with other populations joining the fight against the Flood.

The Flood could have captured Forerunner ships and gone and created their own ships. We all know they can repair ships (opening of Keyes, on Halo), so it wouldn't be that much of a jump to think that a Forerunner could have been infected and given the Flood intelligence the knowledge on how to build a ship, how to best exploit Forerunner weaknesses, where the most populations and viable Flood hosts are, and again, their secret plans.

So after the Halos were built to look for a way to fight the Flood and stop its spread, the only conclusion is that the Flood would starve if no more food was present. Instead of glassing worlds one by one and leaving the planet uninhabitable, and attempting to stop the Flood by conventional means, they decide to build this weapon of last resort.

They're fighting a losing battle. The Flood is spreading much faster through the galaxy than the Forerunner can shoot down their ships. With every fallen species, new intelligence and technology is absorbed into the Flood intelligence. There are still a few civilizations left out of the way of the Flood infestation (Earth, Onyx), so they build devices to protect them from the Halo pulse.

They're thinking is that all civilizations will fall to the Flood, and after that, the Flood will starve. The Forerunner know that the entire galaxy could be devoid of life before they stop the Flood (and if). After the Flood finds no more populations, it will then starve. Leaving the galaxy without life, worlds uninhabitable, destruction on a galactic scale. It's this reasoning the Forerunner use. They might as well stop the destruction and infestation, save the civilizations that they can (Covenant, Humanity), and let life restart.
Exactly! The Forerunners would have been attacked with all their own knowledge and technology.

I wouldn't call the Forerunners stupid, the same as I wouldn't call a surgeon stupid for cutting out good tissue around a cancer, or a doctor for prescribing poisons (chemo) to kill cancer. Our brightest don't know how to cure cancer without adversely affecting the patient. The same way the Forerunners cannot cure the galaxy of the Flood without the destruction of all sentient life.

The biblical references are blatant. Noah used an ark to protect himself and each creature on earth from the Flood. The forerunner ark is either a place to protect a species, or a place where genetic material from all the creatures in the galaxy is kept (or both), so after the flood is gone, the galaxy can be repopulated.
jayguy01 wrote:I've got a new question. If the halos were set off and all life was eradicated from the galaxy, who and what kept the flood alive on the halo. If the flood is like a virus that can only survive if it keeps reproducing then how could it survive on halo seeing as there was no sentient life with sufficient biomass there? This leads to a second question, do the flood eat food, and can they live forever?
The same way as humans keep deadly viruses; Small Pox is extinct in the wild, but is still held in CDCs in the USA and Vector Institute in Russia. I don't know the technical details of how they are preserved (probably frozen), but they are. We can assume that the Forerunners have the knowledge and technology to preserve the Flood.
Spartan Erik
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Spartan Erik »

endejas wrote:Here's an idea:

Well then, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that Gravemind may be an infected forerunner? :o