Forerunners Reborn, a working theory.

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.Pickman
Data [Undefined]

Forerunners Reborn, a working theory.

Unread post by Mr.Pickman »

This is just something I've been mulling over (you can probably blame my fascination with religions for this one).

Obivously, this will contain spoilers to the whole of the continuum, so please do not read further if you aren't in the know.

The forerunners were a highly developed and intelligent race who, as we know, created some of the most advanced technology in the universe. However, they came upon their enemy the Flood, and as we discover in the Ghosts of Onyx, they escaped to a slipstream pocket of spacetime called a Shield world with intense defensive protocols enacted. This place was a beautiful world of green pastures and flowing streams, untainted and unchanged.

I assume that when the original flood infestation was underway and the galaxy was threatened, the Forerunners executed the rings and entered their Shield world to exist for an unknown period of time.

Inside this shield world there was no evident technology aside from the fact it appeared artifically generated, with a sun burning in the middle of this giant spherical world. It was an untainted paradise, Eden.

Now, Guilty Spark speaks of the MC as if he -were- a forerunner, the "reclaimer", coming back to claim a birthright-- the reproductive spawn of their lineage, which leads me to believe that the forerunners were essentially humans, albiet far more advanced. I think that when they entered the Shield world their culture changed to suit it, no longer dependent on all of their technology which had been their last defense and greatest downfall, but rather permitted them to continue living and prospering as a people, for those who remained.

In our recent ARG, there is one part that strikes me as particularly noteworthy:
"Sphere secure to .1889 of passing fleet. Offensive tactics confirmed.
Feint tactics in limited push."

I feel that this refers to the forerunners retreating to the shield world in Onyx. Not all of their people could make it, obviously, because they would all need to be within range when it was announced that the Rings would activate. Therefor, only .1889 percent of their people made it to the sphere before the sentinel barrier went up and protected it.

That small percentage of the Forerunner race is left to continue living, and in turn to survive in their Eden.

Guilty Spark later says:
Their survival as a race was dependent upon it. I am grateful to see that some of them survived to reproduce.

This also supports the idea that the insane AI knew not many of the forerunners escaped the flood or the Halo detonations.

Halo was left alone for 101,217 years. During that period, the forerunner race changed and evolved, the remembered histories of its people were left in lore and stories as they lived in their paradise away from the Flood. In time, the stories of their fabled ancestors came to be regarded as tales of the Gods, the origin of their world. And eventually, either by a security protocol or a certain evolutionary trait discovered, the shield world was opened and, when deemed ready, the people of the forerunner race were permitted to leave.

Now, the slipspace properties of their world didn't necessarily mean they had to emerge in that shield world matrix of the sentinels. They could emerge in any other point in space due to the wormhole properties of their home, hence the Ark. After the Flood was finished, the Ark opened its doors and let the forerunners return to a world cleansed by the acts of God.

Hence, humanity emerged on earth from their cradle of life on earth, unknowing of the great origins of their past aside from lore and fables, and they began to prosper.

Any and all input would be greatly appeciated.
Spartan 062
Data [Conditional]

Re: Forerunners Reborn, a working theory.

Unread post by Spartan 062 »

Mr.Pickman wrote: "Sphere secure to .1889 of passing fleet. Offensive tactics confirmed.
Feint tactics in limited push."

I feel that this refers to the forerunners retreating to the shield world in Onyx. Not all of their people could make it, obviously, because they would all need to be within range when it was announced that the Rings would activate. Therefor, only .1889 percent of their people made it to the sphere before the sentinel barrier went up and protected it.
(I just wanted to quickly correct that .1889 would be 18.89%)

The one thing that irks me about this is that no matter how primitive the human race was when they emerged from the Ark in your theory, I think that they would probably take the Ark itself as some kind of religious artifact and it would become incredibly well-known and a gathering point (My best comparison for this would be the Ka'aba in Mecca). I just don't think that it would have to be unearthed in the middle of Africa.

Edit: I forgot to finish typing... I was going to add that,to me, the ".1889 of the passing fleet" seems to me more like the distance the passing fleet was from the Sphere. It does say offensive tactics confirmed, which makes me think that, since the fleet was only .1889 (some unit of distance) away, that this confirmed hostile intent.
Crunchman
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Crunchman »

I agree with a lot of what you say here, but the Halo 3 Comic presents different evidence. In the comic, there are Forerunner machines building what appears to be the Ark. N'chala(the character from the comic) is observing them build it, so, it was as if they were completely bordered from having any involvement in the Ark's construction. It almost appears that the Forerunners were watching over us. It would be unlikely for a race that inhabits the same planet(which didn't have any human life prior to them coming) to have such a gap in technology.
Roaringram
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Roaringram »

i was watching an episode of voyager (don't ask) the other day, and it kind of reminded me of this. couldn't just be that the forerunners (assuming they are humans) wanted to leave behind an untainted form of their race, so they left these primitave humans on earth, and the ark (like noah's ark, protecting him from a FLOOD?) protected earth from the the halos. Just like the episode of voyager, in which there was a shield around this planet that houses the primitave untainted ancestors of this race from another planet, and not even the people from the other plant could get in. maybe it's alike in some way?
Phydaux
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Phydaux »

Roaringram, I think you're on to something there. I had the same thought recently. And this document would seem to confirm that.

It states that like a scientific experiment, the Earth - as well as instillations 1, 2 and 3 - were controls for the Forerunners (Flood free) where as instillations 4-7 were the variables, and infected with Flood.

343 Guilty Spark seems to recognise the Master Chief. Maybe the human race is the untainted form of the Forerunners.

Or maybe humanity is the Forerunner's weapon to combat the Flood, once and for all. The Flood don't seem to die from starvation as they survived on Halo long enough. Maybe the firing of the rings was just a stop-gap to give the Forerunners' weapons enough time to develop.
Rainstorm1031
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Rainstorm1031 »

Hm.... this is kind of a tangent, but what if the "ark" (assuming that is what it is) that opens up in the annoucnement trailer... the assumption was always that it was firing (at least my assumption was). What if instead, it was releasing the Forerunners from their shield world?

THAT would be interesting.