Relationship between Reclaimers and the Forerunner.

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Air Sparrow Hawk
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Relationship between Reclaimers and the Forerunner.

Unread post by Air Sparrow Hawk »

failedparachute wrote:Well, remember the one of the Joe Staten interviews
HSP: The Forerunner inhabit another galaxy.
JS: Well they don't inhabit ours - which is to say something with the power and reach of the Covenant would certainly have found them by now if they did.
That seems to leave open the possibility that the Covenant have in fact, encountered Forerunners, in one form or another. I've got two possibilities, and if someone has another feel free to speak up, but the two possibilities are that either A) Humans are Forerunners, and have been quite thoroughly encountered by the Covenant or B) The Covenant encountered Flood-infected Forerunners somewhere. Hmm. I've got some more on that, but I think it's more relevant to the Gravemind topic...
I have another theory, but it involves one of yours.

A) Humans are Forerunners

Now cue the drama:

Truth finds this out and can't handle the fact that Humans are his beloved sacred race, he can't handle the fact that word that has been passed down through generations through the prophets and the covenant that the Prophets are decendants of the Forerunners is a lie, so to prove to HIMSELF that he is in fact a Forerunner decendant and the divine race he has chosen to devote his life to activating the Halos.

In short, he's in denial about everything his life has lead up to and can't handle the fact that he's wasted it all.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Frogwart »

Humans may be Forerunners, but where in all this has it been stated by anyone in charge of this story (Staten and Bungie and all) that the Covenant consider the Forerunner their "sacred race"? Sure, the Covenant use Forerunner technology for just about everything they do, but the Great Journey seems to be nothing more than a suicide cult trip the Prophets are playing with every other race's minds in order to facilitate their own misguided beliefs.

If anyone has links to show the "sacred race" angle, please post them.

One more note: On page two of this thread, someone commented that the humans are considered demons by the Covenant. Not exactly true: the Covenant repeatedly refer to "the humans and their demon," not the humans as demons. A good example of this is in the Halo Graphic Novel's first story, "Last Voyage of the Infinite Succor."
endejas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by endejas »

I was reading something on one of those link trips you do when you're bored, and it said something about the Covenant not worshiping the Forerunner themselves, but more or less worshiping the technology they used.

They believe that the Forerunner transcended this plane of existence through the use of their technology, and the High Prophets want the Covenant to do the same. The Prophets undoubtedly know that the activation of the Halo Array would kill all life, but they also believe those that are worthy would pass on towards the Great Journey.

It's a covenant formed around the belief that the easiest (and maybe only?) way to get to the Great Journey (their form of transcending to Heaven) is to reclaim (9th Age of Reclamation) the technology that, because the Prophets found it, they think was left for them.