MILLIONS OF BRAVE AND HONORED SOULS

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

grantix
Data [Conditional]

MILLIONS OF BRAVE AND HONORED SOULS

Unread post by grantix »

MILLIONS OF BRAVE AND HONORED SOULS DIED TRYING TO AVERT THIS DESPERATE, TERRIBLE SOLUTION

This quote leads me to believe that one of two things happened.

1. There was a Forerunner Civil War about how to deal with the Flood.
2. There was a Forerunner-Flood war.

The latter makes more sense to me. What do you think?
Menelven
Moderator [Designated]

Re: MILLIONS OF BRAVE AND HONORED SOULS

Unread post by Menelven »

Weapon of last resort. I.E. they used every single other tactic and weapon they had to try and kill them, but they failed, so they fired them. I fail to see how they could disagree on how to deal with them when they tried everything they could think of.
Unlocking to allow more debate, however try to keep in mind the rest of the quotes, not just one line of them.
sharpsniper99
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by sharpsniper99 »

grantix is was made pretty obvius even in halo 1 that the flood and forerunners where at war -

what i find is interesting is that the flood where contained on the halos - why would the forerunners do that? - i belive that it was done to allow whatever found the halos to continue the forerunners research onto how to obliterate them, because in some small way it was impossible to destroy the flood
Boston_Will
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Boston_Will »

sharpsniper99 wrote: what i find is interesting is that the flood where contained on the halos - why would the forerunners do that? - i belive that it was done to allow whatever found the halos to continue the forerunners research onto how to obliterate them, because in some small way it was impossible to destroy the flood
I guess the Forernner, being the super race that they were, wanted to know everything, therefore, they left Flood samples for study by a furture race of intelligence and the AI constructs. Starvation cannot be the only way to kill the Flood - I guess they felt there must be another way. My bet is that when an alternate solution is found all Flood samples will killed and the Forerunner will be at peace in death - at the present time they are not.
DurandalRT
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by DurandalRT »

Boston_Will wrote:
sharpsniper99 wrote: what i find is interesting is that the flood where contained on the halos - why would the forerunners do that? - i belive that it was done to allow whatever found the halos to continue the forerunners research onto how to obliterate them, because in some small way it was impossible to destroy the flood
I guess the Forernner, being the super race that they were, wanted to know everything, therefore, they left Flood samples for study by a furture race of intelligence and the AI constructs. Starvation cannot be the only way to kill the Flood - I guess they felt there must be another way. My bet is that when an alternate solution is found all Flood samples will killed and the Forerunner will be at peace in death - at the present time they are not.
Don't forget Johnson's condition... A lead to a cure?
monctezuma
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by monctezuma »

sharpsniper99 wrote:grantix is was made pretty obvius even in halo 1 that the flood and forerunners where at war -

what i find is interesting is that the flood where contained on the halos - why would the forerunners do that? - i belive that it was done to allow whatever found the halos to continue the forerunners research onto how to obliterate them, because in some small way it was impossible to destroy the flood

Your answer is right here::

343 GS said in level Library in HALO CE:

Why naturally the Flood is simply too dangerous to release, and mass sterilization protocols may again need to be enacted. Of course, samples were kept here after the last catastrophic outbreak...for study. It seems... that decision may have been an error.

(Another hallway)

343 GUILTY SPARK:

The installation was specifically built to study and contain the Flood. Their survival as a race was dependent upon it. I am grateful to see that some of them survived to reproduce.
sharpsniper99
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by sharpsniper99 »

monctezuma, you basically posted the question - not the awnser

Why naturally the Flood is simply too dangerous to release, and mass sterilization protocols may again need to be enacted. Of course, samples were kept here after the last catastrophic outbreak...for study. It seems... that decision may have been an error.

so why the hell did the forerunners do that then???

and notice that 343 is talking about the flood when he says "theyre survival as a race was dependant on it" - the forerunners could have killed them all, but decided to save samples on the halo for study - which "may have been an error"

i kind of agree with Boston_Will, but really hope the forerunners didnt think like that - makes theyre character seem to proud for want of a better word
grantix
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by grantix »

Well... when you put it that way it seems that the Halo's weren't so Last Resort as they are made out to be. If there were other means of stopping the flood then whouldn't they have taken that route? Which then again leads towards evidence of a Forerunner Civil war. Who, especially a race that seems to be quite more sensible and knowledgable than Humans, would resort to killing themselves if they did not have to.

Studying the Flood doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me to kill off an entire sentient race.
Last edited by grantix on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

I think the Forerunner probably had some flood in containment but others escaped before they fired the halos.
Menelven
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Menelven »

The flood escaped, and they tried every method, and failed, so they had to fire tha Halos, there is no cause for a civil war.