Constellations discovery from the French community!

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

MaxJG
Data [Conditional]

Re: Constellations discovery from the French community!

Unread post by MaxJG »

In regards to the fake script(which I too have read), didn't Bungie, at one point, say that they had two working scripts, so that if a leak occoured, they'd be ok? Maybe it was one of the two. It could also just be a nod to that script, or just be an utter coincidence. Maybe we're connecting dots that aren't there. Maybe we're not.
Percysr72
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Percysr72 »

So here is my wild stab at trying to decipher something, anything, at all.

So this constellation is 'Cepheus', or rather, 'The King'. I wonder if the history and mythology of Cepheus would shed any light on the matter. Cepheus was the king of Ethiopia, not the modern one, but rather on the north coast of Africa (near Mombasa maybe? I dunnah). His wife was Cassiopeia and his Daughter Andromeda. Perseus saved Andromeda from the sea monster Cetus, to whom she was to be sacrificed to make reparation for her mother's boastfulness (Taken from the Audubon Guide to the Night Sky).

The Flood is the sea monster (Cetus) that threatens humanity (Andromeda) that, perhaps, descended from the forerunners (Cepheus or Cassiopeia)? So...I'm just trying to exhaust all possible leads here, but who knows.
Dundradal
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Dundradal »

The stars don't line up correctly and you need to examine what each star in each constellations is because I do not believe they will match up. Most of the stars in the picture are either supernovas, red giants or something in the like. Even if this star field was from a 100,000 years ago on Earth we wouldn't see something like that from say Voi or Mombasa.

This reminds me more of the hubble deep field in its view with so many bright objects.
WhatPfhor
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by WhatPfhor »

this seems like a coincidence but...
AstroMap.JPG
AstroMap.JPG (38.54 KiB) Viewed 7526 times
I don't know how those lines are determined, but it could be something. That would center the dot on Polaris, however. Not in Cepheus.
WhatPfhor
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by WhatPfhor »

The above post is approximately Stonehenge
Mjonir
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Mjonir »

We have verified and these constellations are visible from Mombasa.

It's past midnight in France, others are sleeping, but tomorrow I'll contact them and ask them if we can find another one.
TheJoseph
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by TheJoseph »

I think the French team did an awesome job; I tried and failed to do the same thing with Gemini, the constellation associated with the Summer Solstice (June 20th). However, the more I look at the information for Cepheus from the French team, the less likely it seems. The constellations are all stretched, shifted, and they feature stars of different brightness than their real counterparts (compare the Little Dipper - the star at the end of the handle, Polaris, is supposed to be the brightest). I haven't checked "brightness" in terms of infrared radiation, but even given that, the positions are still off. In addition, that puts Cepheus upside-down in relation to nearby constellations. While the 5=1 correlation and the specific star reference is uncanny, I think in this case it's a matter of forcing the evidence to comply with what we already believe. Rather, our beliefs should comply with the evidence. I can slightly skew a number of constellations to fit that pattern, but I believe when we find what we're looking for, it will be a perfect fit. I might be wrong, and the Cepheus Theory might very well be spot on - I hope so, and I hope that it sheds some light on the dilemma soon. Either way, I believe the French team's work is awesome, and it's that kind of effort that will solve this puzzle. As I posted earlier in my topic full o' theories:
It might be that we need to find the location or celestial object referenced in that chart, or the chart could be completely made up (IE, Earth as seen from a distant location, since we have no actual images taken of our Sun at that distance). People have made good points for both theories.
Maybe the key is in the guides you can find in Photoshop (View>Show>Guides) or possibly there's an image that can be overlaid in the stars that provides some significance. (Like this hidden Nights advertisement for the Wii, where the picture was outlined in the stars.) Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure that since this Starfield1 symbol is different, and it's the only new clue we've gotten with a symbol, that this is where we'll find our next breadcrumb. Let me know what you think.
Mjonir
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Mjonir »

Well, we found THE proof that was missing, the direct link to Iris!
Posted by: Esque
This may or may not be a coincidence...

iris

Surrounding a star in Cepheus, the Iris (NGC 7023) is one of the brightest reflection nebulae in the far-northern sky. As seen in this image by Tony and Daphne Hallas, the Iris is a rewarding target for binocular and telescope enthusiasts alike. The vibrant nebulosity surrounds a hot, blue 7th-magnitude star whose light illuminates the 6-light-year-wide nebula.

This was on Bungie.net forums, now I think we can be sure there is really something :P
GLuebben
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by GLuebben »

WhatPfhor wrote:this seems like a coincidence but...
AstroMap.JPG
I don't know how those lines are determined, but it could be something. That would center the dot on Polaris, however. Not in Cepheus.
I noticed this myself, earlier, but didn't have the time to research it further. The radial segments creating the borders for the constellations do seem to sync up with the glyph, in some way. They certainly allow for a large enough area of interpretation for each constellation to account for the passage of 100,000 years (Forerunner to today). Seems like a path to consider, if the Forerunner used these glyphs to denote relative positions in the night sky from Earth and meant their AIs to share that information with us at an unknown time.
Mjonir
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Mjonir »

Wow, Dark-Fahrenheit from our french forums just pointed out something I think is new:

Picture

Isn't it the 7th column emblem like here? :

Picture

EDIT:
Posted by: Esque
Now my imagination is getting a little out of hand...

Eh?
One more thing :D
Last edited by Mjonir on Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.