In halo 2, it was not the 2nd halo that the humans found

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

shyataroo
Data [Conditional]

In halo 2, it was not the 2nd halo that the humans found

Unread post by shyataroo »

I got this idea, because of the name for it. The first one was called alpha halo, the one in halo 2, is called Delta halo

According to the greek alphabet, that would be the fourth installation that we have found.

Well whats that mean to us? I have no idea

this should prolly be moved though cause it doesn't really have to deal with the ARG

edit by unr3alchi3f: edited the title since it got cut off...
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Re: The halo, in halo 2 was not the 2nd halo that the humans fou

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

The names attributed don't seem to match to anything. I like the idea, but unless ONI found a bunch of Halos and didn't tell anyone it didn't happen.
sharpsniper99
Facilitator [Conditional]

Unread post by sharpsniper99 »

delta in greek may mean 4

but in everywhere ive seen it used its meant 2

that + all the other reasons humans cant have found another 2 halos
GLuebben
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by GLuebben »

http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.ht ... &ia=foldoc

1. A quantitative change, especially a small or incremental one (this use is general in physics and engineering). "I just doubled the speed of my program!" "What was the delta on program size?" "About 30 percent." (He doubled the speed of his program, but increased its size by only 30 percent.)
In Halo 2, "Delta Halo" is most implicitly used as a chapter name. It has become assumed, outside the canon of the game, that "Delta Halo" was a name for the ring visited in the game. However, remember that when the chapter begins, the story is in transition from Earth and In Amber Clad to the surface of the ring world. In effect, a change in the story.

2401 Penitent Tangent states that he is the monitor of Installation 05. I don't think the use of the word "delta" in the chapter name "Delta Halo" is meant to denote the ring's installation number in anyway. I think it's more related to the chapter or event taking place.

Were "Delta Halo" to imply installation number, it would most accurately describe the ring visited and destroyed in Halo: Combat Evolved. Not the ring visited and responsible for 'awakening' the other rings in Halo 2.
shyataroo
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by shyataroo »

well put good sir, that would make sense as the name "delta halo" was only its name outside of canon.
Rainstorm1031
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Rainstorm1031 »

Delta also has ties to the number "3". The symbol for capital Delta is: ▲ (actually, it's not a closed triangle, but that's the best I could do with alt-codes.

Lower case delta looks like this: δ.

Beta is traditionally the number "2".
ToyMachine228
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ToyMachine228 »

It could be referred to as Delta Halo because maybe it was the fourth Halo built by the Forerunners. Cortana could have translated this.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

I thought--and I have no way of checking this, since I'm at work--that one or two of the multiplayer map descriptions for Halo 2 also mentioned "Delta Halo."
ToyMachine228
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by ToyMachine228 »

I just took a look at the Conversations of the Universe that came with Halo 2. And Revlution 56 (A Sentinel like 343-Guilty Spark) that the Covenant and Humans have landed on Installation 4. So there you go. It is called Delta Halo because it was the fourth Halo constructed.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

So if it's definitely number 4, then what the hell happened that would make Penitent Tangent travel off his own Halo to get there, and get stuck in Gravemind? Did Flood from #5 somehow get off, take PT with them, and travel to #4 to add to Gravemind's mass? Did PT travel of his own volition to #4 to try to stop/contain Gravemind?