So how was the "killing" done....visualize

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

KMS
Data [Conditional]

Re: So how was the "killing" done....visualize

Unread post by KMS »

reaperdude42 wrote: "why does the aray only effect one galaxy" if it is some kind of galactic death ray that gets fired then it wouldnt stop when it reached the edge of the galaxy it would just keep going. How did the forerunnrs keep the wipe out to just one galaxy.

I would also like to point out that the fact that there was a 100000 years between firings and the fact that the galaxy 100000 light years across seems like to much of a coincidence to me... :?
I would imagine Halo has a maximum pulse range, that after going on for so long, the energy ceases to be enough to do any more significant damage.
Heck, maybe it keeps going throughout the entire cosmos. That would suck.

And the 100,000 re-ocourance is a rather tricky coincidence... hmm...

Regards,
KMS
kulervo
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by kulervo »

1. Halo effects calcium deposits in organisms. This would (oddly enough) cause a massive extinction event, but remove the bones which would become fossils. Soft tissue does not preserve well, so we do not find any fossils.
See the Halopedia article at:http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Halos

2. On the same issue, yes this is why the Flood appears all "spongy". The flood use bone tissue (calcium) as a food source. Inevitably the body mass becomes spongy and soft as the hard tissue is consumed.

3. We know that the Forerunner tech like the mini Halo from ILB has an effect through slipspace. So the rate of the wave would be faster than light (therefore the size of the galaxy in light years is irrelevant).

4. The effective radius of Installation 004 is 25,000 light years. There is only a slight issue with nearby galaxies as the closest is the same distance from earth. However, Earth is out on a spiral arm, and only if another Halo is between us and Canis Major is there a proble. Additionally, Canis Major is a dwarf galaxy. The nearest galaxy similar to ours (Andromeda) is 2.5 million light years away well outside the range of a Halo.
PhoenixA1
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by PhoenixA1 »

On the note that a pulse traveling at the speed of light would take to long. Well if the rings fired simultaneously it would take 25,000 years... But according to 343 GS at the end of Halo 2, Delta Halo was "communicating" with the other rings at "super luminal speeds" I'm gathering that means faster than the speed of light. Now if its communication pulse is faster than light, its death pulse (for lack of a better term) most certainly will as well.
Last edited by PhoenixA1 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

Kurk wrote:i figure they must have been completely vaporised, as we have seen that the flood are capable of reanimating and using dead bodies, so straight out killing them and leaving the corpses behind would achieve nothing
Actually "Played dead, that's what I did, played dead." and "They only took the live ones"

The "dead" we see reanimated were already flood controlled corpses, you don't see dead grunts and elites becoming combat forms.
RogueDemonHunter
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by RogueDemonHunter »

Good point. I can't believe I never noticed that. It is said time and again that the flood infect living hosts. Which is why killing all sentient life starves the flood. Just wait for them to all die now. But the dead bodies on board Truth and Reconciliation were being used to create a Brain form... probably needed the calcium etc..

In Halo 2 we don't see any bodies animated except previously infected hosts. So they might actually be still alive but without any neural control (creepy thought). But I have to wonder about the zombie look to them. It's as thought the flood don't care about pain or damage to the host body so they aren't healing or fixing them. They just use them till they fall apart (man that is so gross considering the host is basically lobotomized but the body is still alive while bones are breaking and organs are... ewwwww :oops: )

RDH
shyataroo
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by shyataroo »

kulervo wrote: The nearest galaxy similar to ours (Andromeda) is 2.5 million light years away well outside the range of a Halo.
sorry to burst your bubble, but it turns out we're not part of the milky way galaxy. it was discovered last year that we are part of the sagitarius dwarf galaxy (which is why the milky way appears at a 90 degree angle to us) we are slowly colliding with the milky way galaxy.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

shyataroo wrote:
kulervo wrote: The nearest galaxy similar to ours (Andromeda) is 2.5 million light years away well outside the range of a Halo.
sorry to burst your bubble, but it turns out we're not part of the milky way galaxy. it was discovered last year that we are part of the sagitarius dwarf galaxy (which is why the milky way appears at a 90 degree angle to us) we are slowly colliding with the milky way galaxy.
Link please? I only found bits on it being the closest galaxy to ours, not that we are in it.
Nocturnal
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Nocturnal »

Flood requires creatures large enough to take over... but all of life wasn't destroyed (think microorganisms.. maybe plants?). Perhaps the rings force multicellular organisms to break apart, forcing their cells to split off away from each other. That would ensure no bones or dead bodies left behind to take over.
reaperdude42
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by reaperdude42 »

shyataroo wrote:
Erm... Ok so this is off topic, but in an effort to quell this strangness...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittariu ... cal_Galaxy

According to this the dwarf galaxy is 70,000 light years away... it is orbiting the milkyway but we arnt a part of it...

However im happy to read any evidence to the contrary....
Ross
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ross »

reaperdude42 wrote:
shyataroo wrote:
Erm... Ok so this is off topic, but in an effort to quell this strangness...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittariu ... cal_Galaxy

According to this the dwarf galaxy is 70,000 light years away... it is orbiting the milkyway but we arnt a part of it...

However im happy to read any evidence to the contrary....
I can beat you, Major Dwarf Galaxy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canis_Major_Dwarf_Galaxy
25,000 light years away.

Very unlickly to contain life. But must have a nice view.