I think I know what the glyph means.

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

I think I know what the glyph means.

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Okay, check out this interview with Joe Staten:

http://halosm.bungie.org/story/staten083106.html

In it, he links to a pdf by an HBO forum member that attempts to explain some of the Forerunner glyphs we've seen in the games. Here it is:

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/CovenantFo ... Glyphs.pdf

Look particularly at the red glyphs, and the explanation for them. The dotted circle in the middle of the glyph is a test subject (the Flood), and the hash mark is the observer (a Forerunner/scientist). Yes? In every case, the idea is that the observer is safely contained, away from the subject.

Now look at AR's glyph:

The hash mark has met the dotted circle. The Flood has gotten out.
GLuebben
Data [Conditional]

Re: I think I know what the glyph means.

Unread post by GLuebben »

I never pursued the URL provided in that interview with Mr. Staten. I skimmed through it, found it interesting and typical of him.

Don't I feel bloody stupid.

You don't think he was saying ... I was right, do you?!

I mean, I started considering AR's glyph in conjunction with my previous "concept"... but... just considered what I posted to HBO, last year, as something I did for fun and out of boredom one night.
UnrealCh13f
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by UnrealCh13f »

nice find dude...
GLuebben
Data [Conditional]

Maimbot 9000 wrote:Okay, check out this interview with Joe Staten:

http://halosm.bungie.org/story/staten083106.html

In it, he links to a pdf by an HBO forum member that attempts to explain some of the Forerunner glyphs we've seen in the games. Here it is:

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/CovenantFo ... Glyphs.pdf

Look particularly at the red glyphs, and the explanation for them. The dotted circle in the middle of the glyph is a test subject (the Flood), and the hash mark is the observer (a Forerunner/scientist). Yes? In every case, the idea is that the observer is safely contained, away from the subject.

Now look at AR's glyph:

The hash mark has met the dotted circle. The Flood has gotten out.
In my analysis, the dot in the center of the circles does not represent the subject of study (The Flood), rather, the system which prevents the study from interacting with the observer, and vice versa. In effect, that center dot is a "lock". If the subject of the study (the hash mark) has come in contact with and found a way to control the lock... ??? !!!

If Gravemind has found a way to control this locking mechanism???
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

Ah, visited by the glyph-reader himself! Excellent work, sir. I do think Staten was saying you were at least headed in the right direction, absolutely. And sorry for misunderstanding your analysis, I got the observer and observed backwards.

If the dot in the middle is the observer (or system protecting the observer), then the glyph looks like the containment for the observed/Flood is gone. Right? The hash mark's quadrant is not bounded any more. So maybe the glyph just means the Flood are loose. Or perhaps "this is a facility where the Flood are, by design, loose."
mnemesis
Custodian [Obsolete]

Unread post by mnemesis »

GLuebben wrote:I never pursued the URL provided in that interview with Mr. Staten. I skimmed through it, found it interesting and typical of him.

Don't I feel bloody stupid.

You don't think he was saying ... I was right, do you?!

I mean, I started considering AR's glyph in conjunction with my previous "concept"... but... just considered what I posted to HBO, last year, as something I did for fun and out of boredom one night.
I think, if he wasn't explicitly saying you were right, he was saying, "Damn good job." :-)
GLuebben
Data [Conditional]

Maimbot 9000 wrote:Ah, visited by the glyph-reader himself! Excellent work, sir. I do think Staten was saying you were at least headed in the right direction, absolutely. And sorry for misunderstanding your analysis, I got the observer and observed backwards.

If the dot in the middle is the observer (or system protecting the observer), then the glyph looks like the containment for the observed/Flood is gone. Right? The hash mark's quadrant is not bounded any more. So maybe the glyph just means the Flood are loose. Or perhaps "this is a facility where the Flood are, by design, loose."
HA! No need for the apology :), I couldn't remember half of what I'd said in the document, when I found your post. I had to go back and reread it to refresh my memory. Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, some of the content of that PDF is out of context without Rachda's HBO post or the post where I submitted the PDF.

The good news is, I think I can recover some of that information when I get home tonight. Gonna do that as soon as I get out of the office. Being the super suckup-geek-fanboy that I am, I blogged the original HBO front page item and can possibly get to the posts Rachda and I made on the topic. Unfortunately, they're blocked by my IT folks.

Just a few things to note:

1. We haven't determined yet if this is even pertinent to the ARG or just "fun speculation". Hopefully a mod can help us with this :)

2. When I posted that PDF to HBO, last year, I did so by hosting it on webspace with my ISP. When I uploaded it, three of the glyph images were corrupted, hence Louis's cleanup. So, I'm being obsessive-compulsive and pointing out that the eighth glyph isn't rotated properly in the revised document. The observer's circle should be at the 180-degree mark and to the left of center.

3. The color and composition of the glyphs is paramount to my assumptions. I kept going back to the images we see in Halo to evaluate this. Both the Covenant and the Forerunner appear to be too calculating and too regimented to "graphiti" the halls of a Halo. Which led me to believe the color of the images is as important as the images themselves. I, personally, can't believe it's random. But I'm not Bungie :p

4. On the composition of the glyphs, if I'm "correct" or "damned close to correct":
a. The "system" (largest category/consideration in the glyph and its message) is represented by the largest circle. Obviously, this can be a Halo or other installation.
b. The "lock" is represented by the intersection of two lines at a perpendicular angle. In the control systems the lock and the system are effectively an open circuit. But, in the variable systems, the lock is engaged - the lines do not meet and are distinctly and clearly separated from each other. The dot remains to represent where the lock functions.
c. The "observer" is represented by the smallest circle orbiting the perimeter of the system. In the control (unlocked) systems, the observer does not make contact with the locking mechanism. In the variable systems, the observer appears to be maintaining oversight on the lock, in addition to the subject.
d. The "subject" is represented by the hashmark also orbiting the perimeter of the system.

Obviously, I have no clue just how correct or on the right path I might be.
I think, if he wasn't explicitly saying you were right, he was saying, "Damn good job."
:D I got a little carried away. You know... fanboy... recongized by the subject of his fandom...
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

A very interesting, well thought out theory. I've seen that PDF before but never read the text at the bottom....I'm not sure I entirely understand which piece stands for which part of the system...
Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Avateur »

This one is open, though, and appears to have the circular bit to it right at the top left of the open part of the glyph. How would that fit in?
GLuebben
Data [Conditional]

Here's the permalink from the news item Louis posted, last May:
http://nikon.bungie.org/news.html?item=15679

Both my post and Rachda's can be reached from that location. One important part of my interpretation was Astro the Space Duck's more encompassing glyph analysis (linked in my original post and elsewhere on ABO: http://halosm.bungie.org/story/forerunner/jsymbols.html). What got me going was his evidence of 16 unique symbols, 8 rotated or cropped in two color sets.

Any artistic types out there willing to take a shot at translating the Ark-door glyph, noted by Avateur, into a clearer image? I can't draw a straight line with a ruler. And my vision is worse than my artistic skill.
A very interesting, well thought out theory. I've seen that PDF before but never read the text at the bottom....I'm not sure I entirely understand which piece stands for which part of the system...
Don't I wish I knew for certain. I alluded to so many possibilities in that document... Mr. Staten could have simply been saying "Yeah, blue is control and red is variable". Or, to quote

I hope we're not dragging the forum down, Topham.