[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/session.php on line 1035: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4581: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4583: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4585: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3760)
args.bungie.org - View topic - I think I know what the glyph means.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 I think I know what the glyph means. 
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post I think I know what the glyph means.
Okay, check out this interview with Joe Staten:

In it, he links to a pdf by an HBO forum member that attempts to explain some of the Forerunner glyphs we've seen in the games. Here it is:

Look particularly at the red glyphs, and the explanation for them. The dotted circle in the middle of the glyph is a test subject (the Flood), and the hash mark is the observer (a Forerunner/scientist). Yes? In every case, the idea is that the observer is safely contained, away from the subject.

Now look at AR's glyph:

The hash mark has met the dotted circle. The Flood has gotten out.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:22 pm
Data [Conditional]

Unread post Re: I think I know what the glyph means.
I never pursued the URL provided in that interview with Mr. Staten. I skimmed through it, found it interesting and typical of him.

Don't I feel bloody stupid.

You don't think he was saying ... I was right, do you?!

I mean, I started considering AR's glyph in conjunction with my previous "concept"... but... just considered what I posted to HBO, last year, as something I did for fun and out of boredom one night.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:38 pm
Moderator [Designated]

nice find dude...

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:44 pm
Data [Conditional]

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:53 pm
Data [Authenticated]

Ah, visited by the glyph-reader himself! Excellent work, sir. I do think Staten was saying you were at least headed in the right direction, absolutely. And sorry for misunderstanding your analysis, I got the observer and observed backwards.

If the dot in the middle is the observer (or system protecting the observer), then the glyph looks like the containment for the observed/Flood is gone. Right? The hash mark's quadrant is not bounded any more. So maybe the glyph just means the Flood are loose. Or perhaps "this is a facility where the Flood are, by design, loose."

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:06 pm
Custodian [Obsolete]

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:14 pm
Data [Conditional]

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:35 pm
Moderator [Designated]

A very interesting, well thought out theory. I've seen that PDF before but never read the text at the bottom....I'm not sure I entirely understand which piece stands for which part of the system...

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Moderator [Designated]

This one is open, though, and appears to have the circular bit to it right at the top left of the open part of the glyph. How would that fit in?

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Data [Conditional]

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next