Could the chief be tho one that AR speaks of?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Re: Could the chief be tho one that AR speaks of?

Unread post by Avateur »

AI23 wrote:There are a couple of moderators, Sir Topham Hat being one of them, who feel very strongly on this issue. I know I've already had this disussion with them. I recommend not getting into. However, considering this is a speculative board with a description that says "Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex." I think that means this board is a free for all for any hair brained idea a person can conceive.

That being said...I think time travel is a reasonable idea and explains a lot of things. There are lots of clues to indicate the MC went back in time.
And we may end up finding out that time travel is being used for this ARG. More likely we won't, but you are right about this particular area's point to the forum. In one of my theories I suggested that AdjutantReflex was created by humans. How's that for a whacked out theory?
Menelven
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Menelven »

And it is incredibly unlikely given Bungie's stance on the issue.
Ross
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ross »

The last ARG had time travel involved in it.
Menelven
Moderator [Designated]

It wasn't written by Bungie, it was in fact never meant to be canon. It is debatable wether it is or isn't now, so don't expect time travel.
Dundradal
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Dundradal »

In a sense AR is speaking about the Chief and the Mjnolnir Mk IV cyborg from Marathon. He is the "eternal hero," whatever his form he is the one that is able to escape the collapse of the universe and continue to exist.

See a pattern emerging?
SpartanSeraph
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by SpartanSeraph »

I think time travel would be a great way to clear everything up. Having the Chief travel back in time to activate the Halos would give the game a chance to explain lots of things in one pounce - 343GS's cryptic remarks, the title of reclaimer, the origin of the Flood, the identity of the Forerunner, etc. It would also give Halo 3 a really unique campaign compared to the first 2 games - fighting in a different time and all.

There are a few problems with this though:

1. Ilovebees has not been confirmed as canon.
2. Bungie's statement on time travel (could just be a red herring though)
3. The only canon occurrence of time travel in the Halo universe is in First Strike. So far, Bungie has avoided putting anything exclusively from the books into the games, so they don't isolate people who haven't read them. While they could still introduce time travel in Halo 3, they would have to backtrack to explain how it's possible.
Menelven
Moderator [Designated]

Really, in First Strike it's more like Time Dialation, i.e. relativity, and really it would be a bit of a rubbish end to the plot.
Dundradal
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Dundradal »

I think people need to think more metaphorically. The Chief is very much like Classical myths, think of the Greek heroes in the Iliad and Odyssey. One man against the world and be damned the world.

Also, 343 GS tends to differeniate very little between reclaimers. He sometimes speaks of them separately, but for the most part lumps them all into a single idea. It creates for speech that is difficult to understand. I mean after all these years we are still trying to decipher what he meant by "When you asked me before..." It says something with how the Halo array is managed by the monitors and other systems.
Maimbot 9000
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Maimbot 9000 »

I always got the impression, based on 343's lumping, that the Forerunner were a race that shared a sort of collective mind, or maybe were just all mind. What I mean is, each individual is connected to the rest, so that if one of them asks 343, "Would you fire the rings?" all of them are asking.

Or they're just mental energy, bodiless, able perhaps to take over bodies. 343 tells Master Chief he should upgrade to a higher skin, in the Library. How would he do that? Either there are suits of armor lying around, or 343 is suggesting that "Master Chief" find and take a new body.

This is so crazy and stupid it can't be right. But here I am, typing it out, in case it sparks someone's imagination and points them in the right direction.
AI23
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by AI23 »

As much as i favor the time travel theories, I feel compelled to offer an alternative one. It is possible that we are over thinking the whole issue and GS is not a totally together AI. Rather then being a sign of recognizing the chief all his comments could be a sign of AI old age dementia. I mean it makes sense that after 100,000 years even AI's go a little weird.