Gravemind - Once Malevolent, Now Stirring?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Gravemind - Once Malevolent, Now Stirring?

Unread post by Echelon Three »

System Failure wrote:As for 2401 idk, maybe Gravemind has some electromagnetic discharge the it uses to keep the monitor in check, like how an eel stuns its prey.
It gets so lonely in the Library. I'm sure PT was just looking for someone to talk to. Gravemind was seen there giving him a big hug! :roll:

But honestly, if I remember right Gravemind had 2401 pretty well wrapped up. Also, Monitors don't seem to themselves have much of a defense system of their own. Isn't that what Sentinels and Enforcers are designed for? Sure, 343 GS had that zappy deal he used in Halo: CE to take the Index from the Chief at the end of the Library level, but apart from a *possible* jolt it didn't seem too powerful.
uncle_trubble
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by uncle_trubble »

The text written by the entity that takes over AR's matrix doesn't seem like Gravemind. Gravemindspeaks in verse, and this is prose-extremely so. Everything is said in simple sentences that are straight, to the point and quite machine-like.
smallfry
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by smallfry »

Echelon Three wrote:Also, Monitors don't seem to themselves have much of a defense system of their own. Isn't that what Sentinels and Enforcers are designed for?
Couldn't he just teleport away? And he seemed quite amenable to Gravemind.
supremely
Data [Authenticated]

playing catch up

Unread post by supremely »

You'll have to excuse me I'm catching up and my memory isnt too great and im lame sometimes with my ideas.
ATF Goose wrote:When Gravemind says "I? I am a monument to all your sins." He is directing it at MC, which makes me think that gravemind recognizes MC as a descendant of the forerunners and is saying that the sins, or mistakes of the forerunners created him and the rest of the flood.
Im wondering if theres more to the fact that he directs that at MC. Because in the books whenever MC or the other spartans look at the forunner symbols its sometimes accompanied by 'tantalizingly familiar' or something... If humans were decendents of forunners than maybe theres a certain genetic marker that MC and the Spartains possess that makes them closer to forunner genetic legacy and GM would have noticed that about MC, thus taking him and choosing to use him and not just assimilate him.
ii otnemem ii wrote:GM doesnt 'demand to know all of which Cortana knows', he says:
Gravemind wrote:But my mind is not at rest, for questions linger one. Now I will ask, and you will answer.
It ends with Cortana saying "Alright, shoot."

I also don’t think that he forces her to answer since she waves him some sparky thing at him to keep him from touching her. It looks like she shocks him. And you have to remember, that Cortana is intensely curious. If he has questions I’m sure she has some of her own and thinks she can get them. She likes to think that she knows more than most people/AI’s and the older she gets/more information she attains the more superior she acts. Im at work so I can’t consult my books but I remember MC thinking that she’s starting to act cheeky in Halo: The Flood after shes absorbed halo's data. The point is that I believe she underestimated GM’s power/influence and he corrupted her OR that in the process of their conversation the overwhelming amount of information he gave her drove her mad thus causing her to give her whole “I am your source” rant in the Halo 3 trailer. But like someone said, shes not here in 2007 so...
failedparachute wrote: I don't deny that Regret wasn't infected by the Flood, I just ask one question: how? Like I previously stated, any infection prior to his encounter with Master Chief would've been visible and he was supposed to be dead (or at least plasma fodder) after the encounter so how did he get infected? I keep find the idea that the Flood "raise the dead" circulating when that is not what actually happens, but rather they join with the host while it's still alive. I believe part of the problem is it's a discrepancy that, to my knowledge, Bungie hasn't addressed. I wish I had more time to discuss, but I gotta get back to work.
I… think… Gravemind whisks Regret away like he does MC and Arby. Say, he was still clinging to life (this is before the Plasma blast) and GM could take and use him then. Remember the flood infects a person to varying degrees right? I remember that Captain Keys could feel the host digging through his memories a layer at a time. And he could feel himself being taken over a little at a time until he’s gone. Also remember how the infection form that got Private Jenkins was somehow unable to take him over fully so he actually ended up sharing the body with it. I cried when he died but anyway- he is aware enough to remember who he is and stuff but also knows the floods intentions and their memories. Perhaps GM had Regret in the same state, with enough of his brain left to chatter on about the great journey but still hopelessly infected until he dies like Jenkins or succumbs completely like Keys.

Rant away. You'll only destroy a poor girls hopes and dreams! ^^;;;;;
Echelon Three
Data [Authenticated]

Re: playing catch up

Unread post by Echelon Three »

supremely wrote:Perhaps GM had Regret in the same state, with enough of his brain left to chatter on about the great journey but still hopelessly infected until he dies like Jenkins or succumbs completely like Keyes.
smallfry wrote:Couldn't he just teleport away? And he seemed quite amenable to Gravemind.
I agree, 2401 could most definitely teleport away, one could think, unless Gravemind holding him allows Gravemind to control the teleportation grid (he warps MC and the Arbster to their respective new levels at the end) as well as stopping 2401 from using it.

I'm beginning to get the impression that these two are more and more like puppets, saying what Gravemind wanted them to say. Cortana, in the beginning of "High Charity", says something like, "That creature beneath the Library, that Gravemind, used us. We were just a diversion" or some such thing. I would think then that it's quite possible that the two of them were puppets of the Gravemind, either literally or figuratively to such an extent that they had no other choice.