What/who is IRIS

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Avateur
Moderator [Designated]

Re: What/who is IRIS

Unread post by Avateur »

shamanistcrage wrote:
FollyisFire wrote:That's exactly it. The B.net kids are completely stupid.
qft. i now go there just to laugh. you can see i started posting there finally. for every descent arg post, there are 50 terrible ones.
While it would appear that the majority of posters at B.net are completely stupid, and while the same may apply to the 1:50 good-bad post ratio over there, the majority of the people making such posts have their hearts in the right place and are trying. It can be frustrating as hell having to watch them spam up an AR thread or post a lot of dumb stuff, but we have to remember that a lot of them are just kids and are extremely excited. Don't scare em away and don't make them feel bad. Guide them and mold them into the best damned HALO fans they can be.
Ma1agate
Advocate [Futile]

Unread post by Ma1agate »

Moved to Speculation.
darthgall
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by darthgall »

I think there's something to "Iris"...

I looked up that asteroid on wikipedia, and the first thing that struck me is that Iris is the Greek god of Rainbows. I can't take all the credit for this; some kid on b.net has the "rainbow theory" that you can look up, but Iris fits in with that quite snugly...

Iris = Rainbows.
Rainbows = 7 colors
Installation monitors tend to have color assignments; there are seven rings, so it's probably reasonable to assume that each monitor has one of the 7 colors of the rainbow.

Bungie is obsessed with 7s and classical mythology... and if you think of each ring as one color, and Iris as the god or "master" of the rainbow, then you could think of Iris as master of the monitors...

Speculation:
Iris is the actual monitor of the ark, and would have a light that is white (total of all colors together).

Just spinning here; comments welcome.

Mick.
WhatPfhor
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by WhatPfhor »

Here's my take:

The two previous monitors have "guilty" monikers: Guilty Spark and Penitent Tangent. AR posts with quotes from Macbeth, a play with guilt as a primary theme. AR has often stated that he is outranked by this new machine (machine rules out Gravemind) so that falls in line with the monitors (343, 2401...) whereas AR has no number associated. AR says that, what we are assuming is IRIS, has blood on its hands, and has been around for eons. Could this be the monitor that initiated the first halo firing?

In Halo 1, 343 states that he was once asked if he would choose to fire the halos, were it up to him. If this is a monitor on earth (the ark), it would presumably be able to fire all the halos from here. If we look at this in-game, perhaps something has woke it up and it is deciding that the flood is spreading or that another firing is in order. Or maybe, the activation of the index in Halo 2 sent a signal back in time (a stretch, but not beyond ILB...) and the ark has been activated in the here and now.

So, AR has been activated as an assistant to this new monitor (someone mentioned a BIOS) but is trying to prevent what it feels is a premature activating of the ark/halo.