What all do we know about the mythology of Iris

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

JustJed
Data [Conditional]

What all do we know about the mythology of Iris

Unread post by JustJed »

We know that AR lead us to the answer of the little riddle about 'golden wings'.
But what else do we have?

I have found that she was seen as a messenger for Zeus, maybe this could be seen as an assistant or adjuntent

"The wife of Zephyros (West-Wind), Iris (Rainbow), the messenger of Zeus ... Iris, goldenwing bride of plantnourishing Zephyros, happy mother of Eros [the eros Pothos]." - Nonnus, Dionysiaca 31.103

She is the maid of Juno, possably an assistant there too.

"Juno’s [Hera’s] maid [Iris the rainbow], who glides down through the liquid air and binds her pictured arc about the rainy sky." - Statius, Silvae 5.1.103

"The winged Arcadian [Hermes] is the messenger of supreme Jove [Zeus]; Juno [Hera] hath power over the rain-bringing Thaumantian [Iris the rainbow]." - Statius, Silvae 3.3.80

In some translations her sisters name was Arke...

"Arke was the daughter of Thaumas and her sister was Iris; both had wings, but, during the struggle of the gods against the Titanes, Arke flew out of the camp of the gods and joined the Titanes [as their messenger, just as Iris served the Olympian Gods]." - Ptolemy Hephaestion Bk6 (as summarized in Photius, Myriobiblon 190)

These are the things that immediatly jumped out to me, you guys see anything else that might tie in? Or do you think that I may be barking up the wrong tree?
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Re: What all do we know about the mythology of Iris

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

I like the connection between Iris and Adjutant. Maybe AdjutantReflex's real identification is Iris, or IRIS7 perhaps?
reaperdude42
Data [Conditional]

Re: What all do we know about the mythology of Iris

Unread post by reaperdude42 »

I cant help but think of the similarity of the Halo and the glyph and all of the clues on the SOTA website to the other type of Iris... The one in your eye. (Again this draws its name from the greek meaning rainbow)

The fact that they are all similarly shaped is possibly just a coincidence (or convenience) but it has been playing on my mind... I know that the clues so far point to the mythelogical use if the term but the circular shape of all of these things plus the use of the term Iris seems to be deliberate if you ask me... Just my 2 pence worth thats all.

Just seen the other post about Iris thats on a similar tack to whatt i was banging on about above.