AR = monitor?

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

DaFreak
Data [Conditional]

AR = monitor?

Unread post by DaFreak »

Soz if you guys already figured this out but most seem to say he is not a "monitor" (if that is the truth can someone explain to me how you come to that conclusion)

I was just thinking

AR seemed to react to "Iris" (posted by sgt sasquatch) and I thought it might mean something.

Then iI wikid for Iris and i got all this
Iris has three main meanings, related by their derivation from the Greek word for rainbow:
one meaning in plants and one in anatomy but also one mythology. Now Bungie uses allot of mythological items and people in their storyline (mjolnir for example). So I started digging a bit deeper into that.
Wiki wrote:In Greek mythology, Iris is the personification of the rainbow and messenger of the gods. As the rainbow unites Earth and heaven, Iris links the gods to humanity. She travels with the speed of wind from one end of the world to the other[1], and into the depths of the sea and the underworld.

and
Wiki wrote:Iris is represented either as a rainbow, or as a young maiden with wings on her shoulders
Now this immediately made me think about that rainbow theory from lord snakie. http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=10500508
Basically it goes like this
Installation monitor name color
01 1 Unknown
02 7 Unknown
03 49 Unknown
04 343 Guilty Spark blue (indigo?)
05 2401 Penitent Tangent Red
06 16807 Unknown
07 117649 Unknown
(how do we know the other numbers? They are powers of seven, 7^3 = 343, 7^4=2401)
You should read lord snakies theory for what he says on all this but personally I think he takes it a bit too far. My point of view is that there are 7 monitors. They will (most likely) all have a different color. Let suppose they are the colors of the rainbow. ROYGBIV. We have red and blue or indigo they are rainbow colors so at the moment the theory still holds.

From the bible you can get the following
Bible wrote:In the Bible, the rainbow is a symbol of the covenant between God and man, and God's promise to Noah that he would never again flood the entire Earth.
So if you look at the monitors as the rainbow. You could say that they are the promise from god (the forerunners) that the earth will never be "flooded" again. After all they are the ones that guard the halos.

Now back to the ARG
AR is a compound intelligence. The compound of what? From ghosts of onyx we know that the forerunner tech, sentinels can team up to form bigger structures that become smarter and can take on different tasks that their original form couldn't fulfil. Now let's say that the monitors can do this too. Not necessarily physically but "digitally". All rainbow light combined is white light. All halos can be fired from one location. the Arc. What if the white monitor of the arc is actually Adjutant Reflex the compound of all the monitors? (ARC - Adjutant Reflex Compound)

If we look back at the mythological iris.
"Iris is represented either as a rainbow, or as a young maiden with wings on her shoulders"
The rainbow OR the young maiden with wings. This could mean that you can look at AR as either the rainbow (collection of all the monitors) or the compound, all their seperate AI's forming a single entity.

AR said
AR wrote: "Who is the path of light from blackest Earth to brilliant heaven?
On whose golden wings will we fly from here to there?"
The monitors are the path to a brilliant heaven (the firing of the halos) and we will get there on their/her (compound) wings? It sounds rather positive but then again the monitors (or atleast 343) want the rings to fire. It is their task. And if they could save us, thrue the use of shield worlds or perhaps the arc itself (in the bible it was the only thing left untouched by the flood) then the firing of the rings wouldn't be that negative.

I do think it seems strange that he talks about himself in 3rd person but then again the monitors are rather vain and if you are made up out of 7 different personalities you might lose track of who you are :p

AR keeps repeating that event. (871803909 ± 384 hours since event.) This has been stated in this thread earlier as well. Someone calculated and it turns out that it happened about a 100 000 years ago. So that pretty much confirms he has been around at least since the firing of the first halos which would have to be the case if he is the "ubermonitor". He also said that he is a facilitator and is here to serve us (serve the reclaimers just like monitors?). He
AR wrote:I have no requirements. I am a facilitator. The Array requirements are paramount.
AR wrote:Facilitation of Array requirements. Pay attention.
On the halo3 site they talk about the "halo array" (http://www.halo3.com/. It's on the story page.

So basically that is what all the other monitors do as well right? They are there, on the rings, for the facilitation of array requirements. They make sure they do whatever the rings need to keep them up and running. So perhaps the "ubermonitor" AR has to make sure everything concerning the entire array (all halos and the arc) is kept up and running.

I got this from halopedia
The word Guilty suggests that perhaps 343 Guilty Spark was in some way responsible for an action - most likely the firing of the Halos - and therefore has the 'guilt' of causing potentially trillions of deaths. Likewise, Penitent (meaning feeling or expressing sorrow, regret or remorse for committing a sin) suggests that 2401 Penitent Tangent was unconnected with the decision to fire the Halo Installations. (Tangent also meaning unconnected; a tangent in a circle diverges from the shape).

So the first part "Adjutant"
Adjutant comes from the Latin adiutans, present participle of the verb adiutare, "to help"; the Romans actually used adiutor for the noun. If you look at it from the military perspective: a staff officer in the army, air force, or marine corps who assists the commanding officer and is responsible especially for correspondence. If AR is the uber monitor he gets his order from the forerunner and has to comunicate and is responsible for correspondence with all the other monitors/installations.

and the second part "relfex". An action caused by an impulse. He gets singals/impulses from all the monitors and he execute the action/the firing of the halos?

This isn't really going to help us allot though. It would just give us a clue as to who he is. What we really need to find out is what it wants from us.

I could be totally offtrack here but I just thought i should post this.
Frogwart
Moderator [Designated]

Re: AR = monitor?

Unread post by Frogwart »

(A portion of this reply is copied from my post in thread "It Can't Be A New Monitor," started by Kiloh Ekim.)

With regard to the monitors, their names and actions as we've seen them show their culpability in the Halo events to date. I don't think AR has anything to do with the human body-related definition of the word.
For reference: REFLEX: a linguistic element (as a word or sound) or system (as writing) that is derived from a prior and especially an older element or system.

The definitions of adjutant and reflex indicate AR may be a Forerunner construct specifically designed for communication and assistance, or "help" from "an older element or system"--perhaps that system we see being built by the "new gods" mentioned at http://www.halo3.com/comic/

Remember in Halo, when Guilty Spark mentions that once one ring is activated, the other will "shortly follow suit" (not the exact quote--it's been a month since I played through)?
I took this to mean that, once one is activated, the firing could commence once the other rings were ready--that all could act as "triggers," if you will. The Ark may not be necessary to the process, or may be otherwise involved in the process (perhaps as a refuge for those who trigger the Halos?--which would probably mean it's the trigger, but not necessarily).
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

Some nice research, although some of the basic qualifications that we attribute to the monitors don't fit AR.
Plasmoe
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Plasmoe »

Very nice compilation.

To me, it seems Adjutant Reflex is something like the monitor of the Ark.
The Forerunners placed him there on Earth to watch over the Ark. I agree with the idea that he is "in charge". It seems like his job is to relay information regarding the Ark to the other monitors.
Or maybe he is in charge of all operations in the Ark, like knowing when to open it.

In a nutshell, Adjutant Reflex guards the Ark and controls its sentinels.
DaFreak
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by DaFreak »

I just noticed that Iris (mythological iris) nickname is Chrysopteron and that she doesn't just have wings but golden wings. Prolly old but it fits right in here ^^

Now imo it's pretty likely that iris is the "monitor" controlling the arc? Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any really conclusive evidence that AR is Iris :(

Sure he refers to the one with golden wings. He has chrysopteron as a subscript for his bnet account but that doesn't directly mean it's him right. So basically we've got nothing on who AR is ^^

So far the only thing that ties AR to the arc is
AR wrote:I have no requirements. I am a facilitator. The Array requirements are paramount.
Facilitation of Array requirements. Pay attention.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

The interesting part is that his symbol is named chrysopteron...but the idea of Iris didn't come about until human history, a hundred thousand years or so after the Forerunners...why name the symbol that? Unless it's just for a connection that we're supposed to make. Then we should keep in mind that this symbol means the same thing everywhere we find it.