Where do the sentinels come from?!?!

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Kfc21
Data [Undefined]

Re: Where do the sentinels come from?!?!

Unread post by Kfc21 »

Oooor, the Forerunners designated the humans as reclaimers so when the halos are activated and the Forerunner are gone, the humans can take over or "reclaim" (hence reclaimer) the Forerunner technology to continue to research an absolute end to the Flood. Which would make sense why the Forerunner left samples to study.
Scelus
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Scelus »

Why would you need to find an "absolute end" by leaving research subjects to study, when you could just kill all of them. That's pretty "absolute" if you ask me.
XBXSplod
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by XBXSplod »

I dont see why we couldnt be another test subject of the forerunners, this could be perfectly plausable if they had the tech to create the flood - presuming that is they created the flood...

This could also suggest that we may not be the only "reclaimers", other test subjects could also have been given this name unknowingly to us at this point in time forgive me if im wrong im only just starting to read through the books. Just an idea and more than likely im wrong so yeah shoot me down if need be :D
Nocturnal
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by Nocturnal »

atenz wrote:this is all VERY confusing. the comic says that the humans do not know where the sentinels came from, yet in the audio recording the voice sounds strangely human, of course it could be as simple as one human tribe was more advanced then the other or something to that liking. we cant be sure. bt heres another question, if halo wipes out all sentient life in the galaxy when it fires, why did the humans on earth survive? maybe the earth is a shield world? who knows. we will be enlightened soon!
The races of the covenant survived as well.

I figure the initial firing of the Halos must have happened millions of years in the past, giving life enough time to evolve up to the levels of sentient life again.

The idea that humans are forerunners doesn't quite add up... Humans share DNA with the other creatures of earth, we couldn't be an alien species. However, perhaps earth might have been seeded with life by the forerunners, perhaps earthling evolution was guided towards the creation of sentient life (humans).

I'm hoping they really do have a good story thought up to fix all the holes. I'm going to be pissed if they leave it vague and contradictory.
Ross
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Ross »

Nocturnal wrote:I figure the initial firing of the Halos must have happened millions of years in the past, giving life enough time to evolve up to the levels of sentient life again.
It was 100,000 years ago, not much more than that.
rechlieu
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by rechlieu »

Boston_Will wrote:
Spoilers for those who havnt read GoO

In GoO when Ash talks to the Onyx Sentinel it reclassifys Ash as an aboriginal subspecies of Reclaimers. This seemed odd as in The Flood Guilty Spark classed any human soldier as a Reclaimer. Maybe some humans have forerunner or reclaimer genes and thus classified as Reclaimers, and those that don't are classed as a sub species.

This reclassification by the Sentinel on Onyx also led me to believe that humans maybe a lower subspecies of forerunner.
Re-reading that bit in GoO the Sentinel reclassifies Ash as a non reclaimer aboriginal subspecies after he fails to give the proper counter response. I don't think the Sentinels are full autonomous AIs like the Monitors obviously are and can't make the same type of independent decision making. In other words, the Sentinels are to Monitors as a phone voice menu system is to talking to a real person.

343GS is smart enough to recognize humans as (a type of?) Reclaimer. Sentinels, not so much.
Darkendes
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Darkendes »

Nocturnal wrote:The races of the covenant survived as well.

I figure the initial firing of the Halos must have happened millions of years in the past, giving life enough time to evolve up to the levels of sentient life again.

The idea that humans are forerunners doesn't quite add up... Humans share DNA with the other creatures of earth, we couldn't be an alien species. However, perhaps earth might have been seeded with life by the forerunners, perhaps earthling evolution was guided towards the creation of sentient life (humans).

I'm hoping they really do have a good story thought up to fix all the holes. I'm going to be pissed if they leave it vague and contradictory.
I had the same thought regarding our common DNA while reading over this thread. If Earth wasn't populated with life by the Forerunners, it's more likely that they would have altered our genetics to speed up our evolution, hoping one day we'd "reclaim" their technology. They probably would have been advanced enough to pull it off, seeing as how with our current day tech, we've successfully cloned a few species (on that note, does anybody know if we've ever made a clone that matured at a faster rate than the originating animal? This would be similar to what I'm talking about). The Forerunners would have likely mastered this kind of thing given their level of technology.

[Meta now:]

The strange fact that we humans are so much more advanced than any other creature on Earth could very well be incorporated into the story this way. Especially since we still haven't found the "missing link" connecting Homo sapiens to Homo erectus.

IIRC, when the Halo story was written, current day humans were only proven to be around for the past 100,000 (give or take a few) years. I thought I read or heard somewhere that only in the recent several years they found human evidence dating back to about 130,000 years ago. If that's right, then the Forerunner modification theory would have made sense when the Halo Story Bible was created (late 90's I'm guessing). Does anybody know for sure what year it was when evidence was found that dated earlier than 100,000 years ago?
Kwalitee
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kwalitee »

I don't think the Forerunner accelerated our evolution. Looking at the comic again, N'chala sure seems to be a Homo sapien. His forehead is too far forward to be anything else, for one. Also, I don't believe we've found anything that would suggest previous species had clothing or spears, much less tribe elders and the concept of respect from achievements.
atenz
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by atenz »

potential spoilers and random immaturities:::

heh heh.....erectus....LOL well now that the immaturites from all of us are out (i apologize deeply) i have little else to ass, other then we still do not know where the sentinels are from. but heres an interesting theory (thinking as i type here) what if the sentinels we saw int he comic, ARE the forerunner? im not sure how manyof you ahve read the Mass Effect book, but in it there are a race of AI called the Geth, what if the sentinels and otherwise are like that?
Kwalitee
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Kwalitee »

Unlikely I'd say. First of all, if the Forerunner were machine/AI, there would be no need to destroy themselves to stop the Flood.

Secondly, since "they and all additional sentient life in three radii of the galactic center, died...as planned," it's safe to assume that the Halos had the same effect on them that it did on all other organic beings "of sufficient biomass to sustain the Flood," meaning the Forerunner were organic.

Thirdly, we know that 343GS considered himself and Cortana to be of lesser rank than the Reclaimers (one of which we know must have been Forerunner due to the information from the Server) and we know that the Reclaimers had to be organic.