The Array

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

SKR
Data [Authenticated]

Re: The Array

Unread post by SKR »

Sir Topham Hat wrote:The thing that I have an issue with is that when someone says Array I immediately think of some method of communication. What do you think about that?
I think you just have a misinformed connotation of the word. If I dropped an array of baseballs off of a building, I could say, "I just dropped the array of baseballs." I wouldn't say, "I just dropped the arrays of baseballs."

I agree that AR is in our current time. Why is he starting to put things into place for activation of the Halos now, 500 years before anything is going to happen? Here are my ideas:

The Forerunners predicted exactly how long it would take for another outbreak to occur(they are geniuses and all), and told AR to get stuff ready in case it happens.

Or maybe AR is just now starting things up because of the Covenants meddling. They maybe recently found a Halo and the Flood, and are compromising the Galaxy's security.

+If this time theory is true, that means that there's nothing we can do to alter what will happen, because it has already happened in the games. So we are just going to be watching and learning as much as we can. Eh?
rb6elite
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by rb6elite »

we are the array
deadguy
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by deadguy »

To me, the Array is the Ark, which is a location that we know can remotely fire all of the Halos.

It's an array of halos, essentially.

The "in flux" bit is being misinterpreted... you have to remember the question asked: "What are the requirements {of the array]" "They [the requirements of the array] are in flux."

I think this is merely a way of saying, "It requires different things at different times"

We also know that the Halo installations (and presumably the Ark) require a human reclaimer to activate them. The AI has stated that "the requirements of the array are paramount", and that the AI is a facillitator. When asked what it facillitates, the AI stated that it would facillitate US when the time is right.

This suggests it feels it may know it needs a reclaimer soon, and is looking to us to fill that role IF NEEDED. Perhaps someone has stumbled onto one of the rings, and started everything going, in terms of making the monitors get everything ready in the event that the rings needs to be fired.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

I'm very frustrated because we just don't have enough info about AR's objective or origin to make any real progress. He is here to facilitate, but to facilitate what? Do we need him or does he need us?
gspawn
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by gspawn »

SKR wrote: I agree that AR is in our current time.
[...]
Or maybe AR is just now starting things up because of the Covenants meddling.
This could mean that, over 500 years prior to the events on Halo, the Covenant had unleashed the Flood. This would probably mean, if true, that Humans and only Humans really ARE the Reclaimers, and not only that, but the Forerunner had a system for contacting us in a time of need. And they even thought to put the Ark on Earth just in case we hadn't developed faster-than-light travel by the time we were needed. Case in point.

And yes, I think it's fair to think of "array" and "communication" together. In fact, that's what the military mostly uses the term for- communications arrays. In sci-fi, at least.

But, the Halos can communicate at faster-than-light speeds. So talking about their communications arrays is sort of redundant- the Halos and the Ark are an array in and of themselves.
retsamolah
Data [Undefined]

Unread post by retsamolah »

If you read 'The story so far' on halo3.com (or if you hate flash sites like me, on Rampancy) they make specific reference to the 'Halo Array.'
Worse still, the Covenant has discovered the long-hidden location of Earth. They have crushed almost all human resistance as they seek vital clues to the nature of the Halo array - some of which may have been hidden under our very feet for untold millenia.

When I first read 'Array,' I assumed that that is what was meant: the system of 7 (now 6) halo's spread throughout the galaxy. An Array, by definition is a system of interrelated objects. I think the system of halos fits that definition. Whether or not the Ark is in the Array is a different question. I personally think it is not.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

The question is, would AR be a construct within the Halos concerned with their self-preservation? Or is he physically here on earth?
LoneRanger 2.5
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by LoneRanger 2.5 »

There's a series of novels uniquely titled "The Ender Saga." In them, one of the prominent characters, named Jane, has no recognizable physical form. She's a "philote" who manipulates computer circuits and connections to form images and words.

This Ansible array also allows her to make instant contact with any body in the universe...as long as its connected to the web of Ansible connections.

Could Adjutant Reflex be a similar entity?
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

I never read that far into Ender. I finished Ender's Game (was that book crazy depressing or was that just me?), and I started the next book, but it was just too odd and I had other things going on. Very difficult books to read for me, kind of like Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

Another interesting theory, although if that were true of AR then wouldn't that be somewhat (re:MAJOR) plaigarism?
LoneRanger 2.5
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by LoneRanger 2.5 »

The character of Cortana basically is Jane. She's quirky, she doesn't actually have a physical form, she's an adivsor to the protagonist.

It would make for an interesting plot twist if it did happen. But I don't think Bungie would be that direct about a major plot point. I'd say that Jane was a major inspiration though.

P.S. Yes, Ender's Game is a very depressing book. Speaker for the Dead is even more depressing though, and the trend continues with Xenocide. Haven't finished the last book yet.