My Take on the Forerunner Email *Finished for the mo*

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Captain Milk
Data [Authenticated]

My Take on the Forerunner Email *Finished for the mo*

Unread post by Captain Milk »

History winding back upon itself.

The Gears of the universe spin further
and further apart.
Ever greater gros the gulf between souls,
and distance gives false hopes of safety
but for the grim tidings this meesenger bears:

The enemy is almsot upon us

Closing in from all sides,
Moving faster than the light
It snuffs with its passage,
Time echoes with the news of its destruction.
History winding back upon itself.

Waves of an army march this way in unison,
suffering and corruption are its battle cries.
For i have known this darkness
And felt its embrace once before
Horror best laid to rest.

Yet a journey must commence

Look for the signs, the keepers of the flame.
They will lead you to war, and perhaps, to victory

Now of course, i am just a humble person who plans to try and have his own take on this "poem" of sorts, but please, listen.

To first understand this poem, one must disect it piece by piece and explain each segment in a logical and relevant matter to the universe in hand (Halo), but of course, this need not be done in any matter of order, unless you wish me to bore you with simple drivel about the first few lines (which of course i will, but i shall please you with the meaty bits first). This poem begins to get interesting after the line "The enemy are almost upon us". Now, this instantly raises the question, Who is the enemy? Well, i state to you this, although at first glace of the poem it may appear to be the covenant with such quotes as "Moving faster than light" which of course echoes the use of the covenants stellar space travel techniques and the slipstream capabilities, merely leads us to believe that they are indeed this "enemy". Upon further reading though, certain lines begin to accumlate of which start to imply an ambiguous meaning to this quite blatent, upon first appearances, statement ("Moving faster than the light"). (Now, i do realise i have missed some of the second Stanza, but i shall come back to this).
The first of these ambiguous statements which allow this second (and maybe even third take) to be taken upon the reader is "Waves of an army march this way in unison,". Although this does appear to support the enemy being defined as the covenant to the reader, the important thing to note though, is the use of the comma, this carries it on to the next line, this being "Suffering and corruption are its battle cries.". This of course instantly makes it relevant to the "Flood". Them being a parasitic lifeform has of course lead me to believe that such an enemy of great importance that we need to be notified by it (hense the email) is of course when not of a meagre threat such as the covenant, but of course, one of greater integrity and danger. Other lines contribute to this simple thesis such as "Time echoes with the news of destruction." as we know the flood have struck before, as the forerunners created these ringworlds for such the purpose, as well "History winding back upon itself." further goes to support this.
There is a question though that is left unanswered by this. "For I have known this darkness" Who is this "I". Someone, who is we are to assume the enemy is the flood, who has met the flood before. This could either be "AdjutantReflex" a "Forerunner" or Master Chief, (Covenant excluded because none would want to warn us of this). Now, we can of course cancel out Master Chief because of his nature and the fact that the day Master Chief says something along the lines of this poem will be the day I pick daiseys from my butt.
This leaves us, the enigmatic AdjutantReflex, or the Forerunner (mentioned due to the title of the email 'Forerunner Email'. For me, i personally believe this to be a forerunner, not only because of its title (Forerunner email) but due to the nature of it being that it has "known the darkness" and "felt its embrace once before" Now, we know of only one person though who has felt the embrace of the flood before, Srgnt Johnson, yet i am not gonna bring him into this equation as it being him is as likely as Master Chief. Of course, me banking on it being a Forerunner is one of a certain risk as from "official" word of bungie and the halo games/books, it is presumed that all forerunners are dead, but as we know of no other who has felt the Floods embrace it leads us to believe that it must be a Forerunner. It is not possible for Adjutant to have felt the flood, as he is an AI construct and a wide population of people would agree, he must be located on earth to communicate and that the earth is a safe haven and thus could not have been populated by the flood, therefore ruling him out. This idea that the flood cannot embrace AI's aswell rules them out too.
This of course could even be a history record, therefore even more emphasizing the fact that indeed, History is "winding back upon itself." But that is a different view to the one i wish to take, as it would null my belief of forerunner (but remember, you can intepret as you will).
In closing, the poem begins to speak of looking for "signs" and could also mean for us to look for "keepers of the flames". It then states that "They will lead you to war, and perhaps, to victory". This is very tempting of course to an ARG game and so is there to probably provoke us to start the search.

And so i bid to thee, go forth unto the interwebz and unearth what was once forgotten, i shall see you in the forums :D.

**This theory is far from complete and thus lacks certain answers you might seek, please ask and i shall do my best to include them in the thesis as i shall be updating.**

*It would seem to me that the email was sent/created from Adjutant Reflex. What if this AI is actually a subset copy of Cortana's programming? She has encountered the Flood via Gravemind at the end of Halo 2. She knows the history from being in the system on the first Halo MC encountered.

Perhaps, in her struggle against the flood, she managed to create a limited subset of herself that contained some Forerunner knowledge?

Just a wild theorization.
-Master D0rk*
Last edited by Captain Milk on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Master D0rk
Data [Conditional]

Re: My Take on the Forerunner Email *Constanly updated new theor

Unread post by Master D0rk »

It would seem to me that the email was sent/created from Adjutant Reflex. What if this AI is actually a subset copy of Cortana's programming? She has encountered the Flood via Gravemind at the end of Halo 2. She knows the history from being in the system on the first Halo MC encountered.

Perhaps, in her struggle against the flood, she managed to create a limited subset of herself that contained some Forerunner knowledge?

Just a wild theorization.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

Re: My Take on the Forerunner Email *Constanly updated new theor

Unread post by Sir Topham Hat »

The only problem that may come from that idea is that the copying software is self-defeating. It copies itself to death. That would be a problem.
Calm Killer
Data [Conditional]

Re: My Take on the Forerunner Email *Finished for the mo*

Unread post by Calm Killer »

It could be the Monitor of the Ark. That is assuming that the Ark does have a Monitor. AIs only last 7 years but the Monitors last over 100,000 years and counting. Assuming that History repeating itself is the firing of the halos and a possible refiring of the halos that would mean only a Monitor would be around for the past and the present. At least as far as we know from the history of the haloverse.
Henkka
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Henkka »

Calm Killer wrote:It could be the Monitor of the Ark. That is assuming that the Ark does have a Monitor. AIs only last 7 years but the Monitors last over 100,000 years and counting. Assuming that History repeating itself is the firing of the halos and a possible refiring of the halos that would mean only a Monitor would be around for the past and the present. At least as far as we know from the history of the haloverse.
Human made "smart" AIs last 7 years
Captain Milk
Data [Authenticated]

I thought about this but concurred that as the ark is indeed a supposed safe haven, then the flood could never have touched here and thus the AI construct of the ark could not have been in contact. As well, as i stated in the post, i think its impossible for the flood to merge with a AI construct.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

The books tell us that the Flood interface with human bodies based on...I believe it was something like "harmonic wave frequency". We have no evidence that says the Flood can't take over electronic systems.
LoneRanger 2.5
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by LoneRanger 2.5 »

I believe we have proof that they can, in fact, interlace with technology. The Flood-infested Pelican in "High Charity" wasn't being piloted by a warrior, after all.
Sir Topham Hat
Moderator [Designated]

LoneRanger 2.5 wrote:I believe we have proof that they can, in fact, interlace with technology. The Flood-infested Pelican in "High Charity" wasn't being piloted by a warrior, after all.
Good point, as well as the 'Keyes blob' being physically connected to the Covie bridge systems.
Captain Milk
Data [Authenticated]

Sir Topham Hat wrote:The books tell us that the Flood interface with human bodies based on...I believe it was something like "harmonic wave frequency". We have no evidence that says the Flood can't take over electronic systems.
I have not heard of it as of yet (flood taking over AI's), and would not believe that such things are possible, as the flood, would of course be incapable of absorbing such AI constructs. Otherwise, why do they attack all sentinels, not embrace them? Why is the monitor left to look after halo if he himself is capable to be over taken. Why dont the flood just infect the whole halo computer system and become free. Why? because I believe they are incapable of doing so.

We must deduce what we know not from what we are spoon fed, but from what we can discover.