speculation from bungie.net

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

bumontheroad
Data [Authenticated]

speculation from bungie.net

Unread post by bumontheroad »

a new theory i found on the bungie.net forums, don't wanna retype it all or steal the guy's credit, so here's a link http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=12249585

crazy stuff, man...
Omega Hunter 9
Data [Authenticated]

Re: speculation from bungie.net

Unread post by Omega Hunter 9 »

Interesting idea, I agree that whatever original flood that started the war are long dead, and right now the forms we see are only like that because of host species.
MulletedOne
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by MulletedOne »

He's flat out wrong, that's what we call "Overthinking"
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Unread post by Dalthanas »

Omega Hunter 9 wrote: ...right now the forms we see are only like that because of host species.
But there's three flood forms. Infection forms would be the same now as they always were, attack forms are the infected species (although I still can't figure out why Cpt. Keyes was pulled into the flood "blob" and simply mutated), and the Gravemind, which has the memory, and in essence the memetic legacy of the entire flood. It could be said that it has always existed, and so the flood is the same flood as it has always been.

I didn't read through all the comments after the original post. I think the idea holds no water at all. But doesn't it just seem... odd?... to call the weapon you use to destroy The Flood, the flood? Wouldn't you call it the dam or something?

Additionally, the theory totally ignores the entirety of the story presented to us. What Cortana downloads from the forerunner information banks, what 343 GS told us in Halo CE, and passed on to the Covenant in Halo 2, all state CLEARLY that the flood in the library are THE flood the Halo's were designed to kill, and not the weapon.
Orpheus
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Orpheus »

meh i don't like the idea. I'm pretty sure the Forerunners are advanced enough to use some kind of radioactive wave of death, or something along the same lines.
Twigge
Data [Conditional]

Unread post by Twigge »

Dalthanas wrote:(although I still can't figure out why Cpt. Keyes was pulled into the flood "blob" and simply mutated)
He was put into the flood brain form along with some other elites in charge of the Truth & Reconciliation so that the Flood would be able to pilot the ship.

This whole theory is just a product of some guy over thinking. It's highly unlikely even if you ignore the giant contradictions. If the weapon against the old Flood was the new Flood, then what do the halos do? Hold the Flood? Why would you need a giant ring with pulse generators and complex inner-workings to hold the Flood? Not to forget that the installations 'fire' something that eradicates all sentient life.

I am always blown away by the speculative nonsense that some people make themselves believe.