Halo and the 7 tablets of creation...

Wild, speculative theories born from the communications with AdjutantReflex.

Moderator: Moderators

Strattos
Data [Undefined]

Halo and the 7 tablets of creation...

Unread post by Strattos »

I was just thinking over some of the new things we've discovered from server 5 and had somewhat of a revelation. This story bears a striking resemblance to The Epic of Creation. Take time to actually read this text. The similarities are striking.
Coincidence that there are 7 tablets of creation? Perhaps.
Dalthanas
Data [Authenticated]

Re: Halo and the 7 tablets of creation...

Unread post by Dalthanas »

Good find, and you're absolutetly right about the connections; however, the importance of that connection is debatable.

In university I took a couple religion courses (and it was touched on even in some high school history), but you'll find a good many creation theories have a lot of similarities. There are a lot of reasons for this, some more debatable than others. The similarity between the 7 tablets, though, and the 7 rings is probably best explained by the commonality of a lot of history, being split up through the nomadic nature of man during early recorded history.

Judaism itself, one of the oldest organized religions still in existence, was based largely on the tribal religious beliefs of warring nomadic tribes in ancient Mesopotamia. The Hebrew people were imprisoned quite often and for extended periods, and borrowed aspects of the tribal religious beliefs and adapted them to their own questions and existing belief system. This is why some of the Old Testament, especially the 5 books that make up The Torah, have some really mind blowing parts that don't fit in with our modern conception of Judaism or Christianity.

Anyway, throughout MANY "western" religions (I use that term loosely) 7 was a very prominent number, and often denoted religious power of a supranatural sort. The references to Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are many. The religious connection the number 7 are far, far, deeper than most think (http://www.asis.com/users/stag/godcount.html). It was integral part of many ancient belief systems, and due to the common histories its not surprising.

I do not think Halo is based exclusively on the Bible, but its obvious to me that the writers have a solid base in -if not world religioush history- at leastt the Christian story, and draw a lot of ideas and and least structural elements, if not content, from it.

Bungie LOVES 7, and they love it for a reason. The story you found is a great example of a non-Christian history that also fits the Halo story arc.

edit: This is off the top of my head, I'm sure everything is not 100% accurate, but I'm not doing research :)